Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 26, 2018 12:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Can someone 'splain why some ebay sellers part out radio
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 1:48 am 

John Bartley wrote:
If you don't like what I'm doing ... buy it and save it yourself.

LMAO! You tell 'em, John!

I've never understood why MASS PRODUCED items from the last century, regardless of age, should individually -each and every one- be considered as sacred. Most of these were made in either the thousands, or tens of thousands.

If someone parts out a set, the buyer(s) would conceivably be looking for those exact items in order to complete a restoration (or why else would they buy them?), so the reality seems to be that the parts would be going toward a good cause.

What is then to complain about?

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 2:21 am 

No comment. Would'nt want to whine or tell people how to live their lives.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 2:28 am 

Its their $$$, repairing or parting out is their business, opinions will vary, that's life. You will never save history down to the last radio on earth. Some consider radios to be alive as in humans, some say they wake up and sing, others call them females, give them a name. There will never be a shortage of radios nor most tubes with the millions produced through the many years. Then you have the so called Walton, put it on a favorite TV show, give it a black dial, price jumps up and it like the holy grail. The radio wasn't even on the drawing board at the time in history the show was about. I'm going crazy trying to save history, I've been buying all the old vacuumes, fans, windup clocks, junk cars in neighbors yards, cameras, guns, bikes and on and on. My wife gets annoyed when I talk to some of these items and they don't sing or come alive. Pleaseee,the hell with history, I'm tired.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 2:57 am 

Well this topic is going nowhere.
I was thinking there's more chassis out there than cabinets and once the cabinet is sold, the seller is stuck holding a chassis that no one wants. Personally, I'd want the merchandise to move out as fast it can. So selling the radio "whole" would be the best way.

MODERATOR: Please lock

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 3:00 am 

This topic is still giving good accounts of the pros and cons.
Moderator don't lock please.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 3:17 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
badwaxcaps wrote:
You know John, your exactly right. I'll just shut my mouth and not voice an opinion on it anymore. Who gives a crap about a bunch of old radios anyway. Its the money thats most important.

Nope, it's not. The money has very little to do with it in most cases. Sometimes it is, but that's the minority of cases. Mostly it has to do with nobody wanting the full set and the seller needing to reduce inventory and downsize. But hey ... people thrive on constant complaining about other people. It goes on and on and on endlessly. It does no good and it's rarely the business of the complainer. You have no idea what the circumstances are, why the seller is doing what they do, but it's another opportunity to gripe about something or someone else and point out how stupid they are.

Parting out saves sets. You see one set parted, but the parts maybe save two, three, four sets, but nope, nobody ever says anything good about that do they? I often see sets at the local radio club auction that just don't sell. Maybe they should just go to the dump? BS. No point in looking beyond another chance to poke your nose in someone else's business and complain about someone else.

It's never ending here. Anyone would think the complainers are perfect little gods of radio salvation and have never bought a used part out of another set to save one of their own. But hey .... if complaining makes you happy ... have at it. Have I parted out? Yes. Will I again? Yes. Most of us do, but are afraid to admit it in case the parting police get on our case.

BTW : if you want to see just how popular parting out is ....check the classifieds right here on ARF. Half the ads are either for parts for sale from a radio or looking for parts only from a radio .... ??? Those parts have to come form somewhere ...

Anyway ... I got in the way of your blame party ... keep on at it. I'll stay out of this one now.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 3:44 pm 

There is something to what John is saying. Parting out sets does save sets - at least a few.

But the rest of what he says just doesn't scan. The largest transgression I see on a daily basis is chassis stripped of tubes. So no one wants to buy a radio with tubes in it?? Check the rest of that sellers items - the tubes will be listed, adding up to 10 times or more what he is trying to sell the radio itself for. That makes a pretty blatant case.

The worst part of it though isn't really anybody's fault, it's just the nature of the business. Consoles are very expensive to ship. They're big, heavy, and unless impeccably packed prone to breakage. It's so much easier to strip out the electronics and sell them separately.

It gives me more than a little satisfaction though to see consoles resurging in popularity. I can just imagine the cannibalizers remorse - well, hope for, really - after looking at what they are going for now.

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=336186

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 3:59 pm 

Sol wrote:
Findm-Keepm wrote:
So, I should revoke my organ donor card? :wink: :mrgreen:

And if someone parted you out when you were perfectly serviceable, what would you say about that?

Just sayin'... :P

Enjoy the kidney...... :mrgreen: No more to give, sadly. Unless someone needs a partial liver for transplant - they can do that, right?

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 4:04 pm 

I was reminded last night that my birth was partially funded by a junkyard car - my dad would pull a junkyard car and fix it using parts from other cars that were parted out. Once sold, it brought needed cash into our household.

How many parents keep the hospital receipt? :shock: :o :D Sold the car on Wednesday, I was born on the following Sunday, and the bill was paid the following Wednesday.....

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 7:20 pm 

EH Scott Radios are probably the most notorious for being parted out.

Various things contribute to this, and are mostly, but not all, financially related. I certainly can get more $$ for the parts that comprise any of my Scott's than I could get for the whole radio. It is a shame, but the Asian market for the Scott tweeters, pedestal speakers and amp chassis has drove the prices of these parts very high. I have seen a softening in recent years and more Scott collectors gathering parts and assembling whole radios.
A contributing factor is that there were many Scott chassis sets sold without cabinets, so you tend to see chassis sets come up for sale often. Scott sold the cabinet separately. Cabinets, knobs and escutcheons are particularly hard to come by as are 15" speakers.

In many ways, EH Scott's have become the "Erector Set" of radios. There are plenty of people like me who need parts to complete sets.

Then there is the McMurdo sets and their 18" speakers that end up in Asia for big $$$....what a shame. Nobody could ever convince me that a modern speaker can't sound as good or better than an 80+ year old one.

I have parted out sets over the years. My reasons were sound, such as a set where the cabinet was beyond repair but had a good chassis or other parts. As long as people are getting parts they are missing to make complete sets, I am good with it.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 7:45 pm 

I should clarify my feelings here. My main issue is with guys who specifically research, find and buy rare and desireable sets for no reason other than to strip them down and sell them for profit. I personally watched, in horror, as a couple guys tossed a perfectly good Magnavox Concert Grand into the compactor behind the thrift store where they had just bought it. They pulled the amps and tossed the rest. Cabinet complete with speakers, tuner, everything. I asked why and they said the amps "pull big coin" on Ebay.

I know I can't save them all nor can I afford to. I'm also not trying to come down on radio guys gutting sets to provide needed parts. I actually need some parts myself. Sometimes a guys gotta break up his best set to get out of a bit of financial trouble. Thats fine too. We also can't save every basket case we come across.

It just bugs me. Every time I see something like a McMurdo Silver/EH Scott tuner, amp, Jensen Super Giant and empty cabinet all from the same seller I find myself right back at that dumpster behind the thrift store. The last sound that Concert Grand made was the sound of it's own death. Crushed nearly flat because of a couple jerks. Just really grinds my gears.

That being said, does anybody have a speaker for a Zenith 9S244? :lol:

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 8:39 pm 

badwaxcaps wrote:
I should clarify my feelings here. My main issue is with guys who specifically research, find and buy rare and desireable sets for no reason other than to strip them down and sell them for profit. I personally watched, in horror, as a couple guys tossed a perfectly good Magnavox Concert Grand into the compactor behind the thrift store where they had just bought it. They pulled the amps and tossed the rest. Cabinet complete with speakers, tuner, everything. I asked why and they said the amps "pull big coin" on Ebay.

Yes, that's exactly my feelings also. I agree 100%.

That's one of the reasons that I donated my Marconi CSR2 set, complete with power supply and speaker, all original and unmolested, to the RC Sigs museum. It will be preserved and not experimented on.

Unfortunately there are people who refuse to see the commons sense middle ground and instead advocate "saving them all" and they treat that position with a religious fervor that would put Jimmy Swaggart to shame :)

Those who "choose" to recover the basket cases for their own reasons I have great respect for as they need serious skills to do that work. Those who expect others to do the same and treat them with contempt if they don't ..... not so much.

If I had your Zenith speaker I'd send it to you .... I don't .... I've never had to scrap a Zenith.

cheers

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 9:25 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
...Unfortunately there are people who refuse to see the commons sense middle ground and instead advocate "saving them all" and they treat that position with a religious fervor that would put Jimmy Swaggart to shame :)

I see what you did there - doing your best to delegitimize the people you disagree with through hyperbole and derision, while painting yourself as the reasonable one.

Is that really how you deal with anyone who disagrees with you? Let's go back and re-read http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2823469#p2823469. Hmm, more hyperbole and derision. Perhaps you are genuinely being harassed and even persecuted by the 'parting police' - or, perhaps you are being a bit defensive. Perhaps you are even... feeling a little guilty?

Look John, there are those of us who realize these artifacts are limited and never coming back, and then there are those who look at them as just another commodity to be exploited. I agree most would fall somewhere in the middle, given the realities of life and the world. That said, they are not ever coming back, when they are gone they are gone, and there are those who care nothing about their history and just care about the money to be made, as several anecdotes in this thread have revealed. I think there are very few here, however, if given the opportunity wouldn't save them all, but of course life is never that simple. The reality undoubtedly would involve parting out a portion of sets, based on condition, to maximize preservation.

You see, I'm no Jimmy Swaggart - but that said, I also like to think I am a man of values and convictions. The ultimate goal of this hobby, in my mind, is the preservation of history. I think you think the same way, actually - just my opinion.

I'm not against you John. You have defended your actions well - but really, there was no need. I understand the enthusiast who buys and sells parts to preserve history. It's the jerks who are just in it for the money I think we are both against - but you tell me. I'm not going to speak for you.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 9:29 pm 

Sol wrote:
John Bartley wrote:
. The ultimate goal of this hobby, in my mind, is the preservation of history. I think you think the same way, actually. .

You'd think wrong.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 9:35 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
Sol wrote:
John Bartley wrote:
. The ultimate goal of this hobby, in my mind, is the preservation of history. I think you think the same way, actually. .

You'd think wrong.

Now don't leave me hanging John.

What do you find of value in this hobby?

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 9:42 pm 

Sol wrote:
The ultimate goal of this hobby, in my mind, is the preservation of history.

That may be your personal viewpoint, but I doubt that it applies to the majority on this board, or collectors in the general population.

Of course there are others that think that way, but I would bet most simply like collecting eye candy, and if they can get it safely working, so much the better.

Personally I couldn't give a damn about "history"; I only know that I love looking at, working on, and operating my treasures.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 9:47 pm 

fifties wrote:
Sol wrote:

That may be your personal viewpoint, but I doubt that it applies to the majority on this board, or collectors in the general population.

Of course there are others that think that way, but I would bet most simply like collecting eye candy, and if they can get it safely working, so much the better.

Personally I couldn't give a damn about "history"; I only know that I love looking at, working on, and operating my treasures.

Fair enough.

But in that case, wouldn't you like to ensure there is more 'eye candy' than not?

Look, I agree a person's individual reasoning for this hobby is of course personal. The differentiation I am making is solely about money.

That point seems to be hard to maintain. :?

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 9:59 pm 

Sol wrote:
The differentiation I am making is solely about money.

A person buys and parts out a rare set and makes money.

Another person buys and cleans up a hoarder's stash, saves the sets that are decent and parts out the rest and makes the same money.

You don't know either of them or their circumstances .... which person is doing something wrong? One, the other, both?

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 10:03 pm 

Sol wrote:
fifties wrote:
Sol wrote:

Fair enough.

But in that case, wouldn't you like to ensure there is more 'eye candy' than not?

Look, I agree a person's individual reasoning for this hobby is of course personal. The differentiation I am making is solely about money.

That point seems to be hard to maintain. :?

Yes, that point is hard to maintain here simply because it really doesn't resonate with collectors. It's an attack on flippers, who would make but a small percentage of the members here, and wouldn't be swayed regardless.

Here's a story for ya;
I bought a Philco 40-180 console from an eBay seller who was actually local, so I drove over and picked it up. Beautiful cabinet, but once I took the chassis out, I found that it was inundated with rodent urine. I got the circuit working, but not all that well.

On eBay there was a seller on the other coast, trying to offer on a BIN the same model, but his cabinet was caca. After messaging him several times, I was finally able to convince him to sell me just the chassis, which he did.

Restoring and installing it produced about my best tube set AFA sensitivity. I then sold the original chassis on eBay.

So the result here was that most likely the east coast cabinet was trashed, the west coast chassis was sold by itself, and an excellent example -from the two- was produced.

Now it doesn't matter that this was a common Philco; it coulda been any set considered rare or particularly valuable, but the point is that two sets made one good one, and conceivably the urinated chassis ended up in another cabinet, or worst case, it's parts were used for restoration. The very poor condition empty cabinet was likely destroyed.

So what's wrong with that?

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 10:37 pm 

fifties wrote:
...So what's wrong with that?

Nothing in my mind.

Interestingly, I advocate against disassembling perfectly good radios purely for financial gain, and suddenly I'm Jimmy Swaggart?

Seriously people. Get a grip.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 49 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next