Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 18, 2018 6:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zero feedback bidders?
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 7:13 am 

I know we all started at zero; but, I'm a little suspicious of zero feedback Ebay bidders. In my current listing, I state that anyone with less than ten positive feedback comments needs to contact me before bidding or their bid will be cancelled. A few minutes ago, I just checked and what did I see? You guessed it - a zero feedback bidder who just joined Ebay today and they failed to follow my instructions. So, it's a pretty safe bet that their bid will be cancelled. I'm told that a lot of these zero feedback bidders are bad about not paying or they'll file a fraudulent "item not as described" claim, in order to get their money back and get to keep the item. If they are made to send something back, it's either a broken item or a box of rocks.

Post subject: Re: Zero feedback bidders?
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 10:31 am 

I too get wary of them - the sage advice to zero feedback users has always been to "buy something cheap" to establish some feedback before bidding on larger or costlier items, lest your bid get canceled..

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:47 am 

A friend stopped the "send it back" guys by marking his stuff in a way known only to him. Then when someone wanted to send something back he would tell them he had marked it and if the one he got back was undamaged and matched his mark he would refund. No more returns.

RRM

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 9:45 am 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
A friend stopped the "send it back" guys by marking his stuff in a way known only to him. Then when someone wanted to send something back he would tell them he had marked it and if the one he got back was undamaged and matched his mark he would refund. No more returns.

RRM

Unfortunately eBay will side with the buyer in many cases, and when the seller complains that what he got back was NOT what he sold eBay will simply say 'You got something back, so now move on.'

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 4:17 pm 

I understand what you are saying. What my friend experienced was that once he told the buyers the item was marked he never heard from them again. This was some years back.

RRM

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 4:56 pm 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
I understand what you are saying. What my friend experienced was that once he told the buyers the item was marked he never heard from them again. This was some years back.

RRM

There are determined scammers, and there are casual scammers. Probably nothing will deter the professional thieves, but the above is an example of a simple step that can deter those looking to see if they can make a quick buck.

Same with blocking "zero feedback bidders". It can help weed out the fake buying accounts. But all a determine scammer would need to do is to purchase a handful of cheap items with a "buy it now" from a large seller.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 1:12 pm 

It has become an increasing problem with electronic equipment that has plug-in circuit cards. Swap cards and parts until your's is working again and open a claim for return as defective.