Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Thu 21, 2019 8:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hallicrafters S-1; Appears Approximately Once Every 10 Years
PostPosted: Dec Sat 15, 2018 7:25 pm 

Listed at $2499.99 Buy-It-Now.

Attachment:
s-l1600_(1) (1).jpg
s-l1600_(1) (1).jpg [ 80.91 KiB | Viewed 439 times ]
Hallicrafters S-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Hallicrafters-S-1-The-First-SKYRIDER-Mfr-by-Silver-Marshall-1933-RARE-/332950031614?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

Post subject: Re: Hallicrafters S-1; Appears Approximately Once Every 10 Y
PostPosted: Dec Sat 15, 2018 9:34 pm 

Looks like it sold pretty quickly as a Buy-It-Now for $2499.99!

In the 6 years I've been in the hobby, I've never seen one before. And that one sure is pretty!

PostPosted: Dec Sat 15, 2018 11:36 pm 

The first Hallicrafters shortwave receiver. Hallicrafters also offered a couple of console radios either just before it or around the same time. I don't know if they were converted Silver Marshalls or if any were ever sold but I have an early Hallicrafters catalog with pictures of them.

If I recall correctly the opening bid for the S-1 was $1699.00 and it sold for the $2499.99 Buy-It-Now a few hours after I first saw it this morning. It is a nice one and still mostly original with some nice paper to complement it. Well sold.

It's nice to see sales like this and right now is the prime time if you have something special to sell.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 2:18 am 

A nice example. If someone has been looking for one, I can see spending $2500 to get it. I don't recall when I last heard of one of these becoming available, but I know it's been years.

I've got an S-5, which I found in the wild about 15 years ago.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 1:03 pm 

zenith82 wrote:
A nice example. If someone has been looking for one, I can see spending $2500 to get it. I don't recall when I last heard of one of these becoming available, but I know it's been years.

I've got an S-5, which I found in the wild about 15 years ago.

Your S-5 is also quite rare, they do not appear much more often than this one. There may have been a couple of them on eBay in the last ten years as I recall. The early history of Hallicrafters is quite interesting in that Bill Halligan tried to make his shortwave radios as cheaply as he possibly could by using purchased broadcast grade components and hiring homeless individuals to assemble them. I have a letter that says the assemblers would not get paid if the set didn't pass final inspection. I have an S-2 which is essentially the same as the S-1 but added electrical band spread and a send/receive switch. It's original also and complete and condition is about like the S-1 here which just sold.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 3:55 pm 

I may run the risk of starting another capacitor war :).

In my view this radio is a perfect example of one that should just be left alone. All it's original components are still there and should be left there. I would venture to say that if the new owner gets tempted to "restore" it and recap it, 1. will be a disservice from an historical perspective and 2. drastically devalue the radio.

A very cool radio as-is.

Steve

PostPosted: Dec Sun 16, 2018 4:04 pm 

I would certainly agree with you on this one Steve. Its value as an accurate record of early Hallicrafters history should outweigh any working order capability it might provide to its temporary custodian.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 17, 2018 1:19 am 

If it were mine, this one would be a shelf queen. They don't all have to work, especially since there are many other higher performing communications sets out there.

If I really wanted it to work, the caps would get re-stuffed.

Unfortunately, my S-5 looks like it was in service for at least 50 years prior to my acquisition. There are a lot of replacement components in there from the 1940s through the 1980s.

PM me for my email address