Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Fri 22, 2019 10:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Apparently I was wrong... It's an Edison C2
PostPosted: Dec Sun 23, 2018 10:55 pm 

Well, call me cynical, but let's see...
They stripped the cabinet to make a mini-bar or something...
They pulled all the tubes and sold the ones that were good...

And now they want someone to pay $350 for what's left??? Grrr... :evil: :evil: :evil:

https://spokane.craigslist.org/atq/d/sp ... 75501.html

Attachments:
EdisonC2Guts.jpg
EdisonC2Guts.jpg [ 84.03 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]

Last edited by palegreenthumb on Dec Mon 24, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Please buy my trash for lots of $$$
PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 12:20 am 

palegreenthumb wrote:
Well, call me cynical, but let's see...
They stripped the cabinet to make a mini-bar or something...
They pulled all the tubes and sold the ones that were good...

And now they want someone to pay $350 for what's left??? Grrr... :evil: :evil: :evil:

https://spokane.craigslist.org/atq/d/sp ... 75501.html

Just so you know the cabinet was shot when I got it. Back and legs gone and also the top was warped. I still have the tubes. I did have them checked but they checked out bad. I was able to save all the hardware. It is a complete unit less the cabinet. The price in my opinion is not out of line. I've seen the phonograph alone go for around 400. I am leaving this forum. Nothing but hateful folks.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 1:09 am 

Good going Rodney! Yes, I believe I will call you cynical. I too am cynical but tend to reserve cynical comments from public forums or at least qualify them "I worry that" making it my issue rather than others. I sincerely hope that we can avoid losing other members by critical comments posted here.

Norman

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 2:03 am 

Not a creature was stirring, If that is the Edison model, they do sell for big bucks. His asking is not out of line, anyway he can ask whatever he wants. Somewhere, somebody has a cabinet with no chassis and may be looking just for this.

Between the trolls and know-it-alls (who are wrong 50% of the time), it is not hard to see a slowly declining user base here. There is a Ford Escape forum that really is not friendly at all. You post anything, they move it to a similar topic no matter how old. You post anything funny or slightly off topic and it gets removed and you get warned. Rant off.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 6:40 am 

Well, I guess I'm cynical. Or I need educated. But I still don't see $350 there.

What makes it collectible?

I've been searching for years for an Atwater Kent highboy cabinet... And if the Edison is so rare, what are the chances of ever completing it? Near zero. Rarity does not equal value.

Yep. I don't see it.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 2:37 pm 

n3uvt wrote:
Not a creature was stirring, If that is the Edison model, they do sell for big bucks. His asking is not out of line, anyway he can ask whatever he wants. Somewhere, somebody has a cabinet with no chassis and may be looking just for this.

Between the trolls and know-it-alls (who are wrong 50% of the time), it is not hard to see a slowly declining user base here. There is a Ford Escape forum that really is not friendly at all. You post anything, they move it to a similar topic no matter how old. You post anything funny or slightly off topic and it gets removed and you get warned. Rant off.

I think all members here are encouraged to correct errors---or simply to ask for explanation or clarification. I'm not aware of any currently active member that is wrong anywhere near 50%.
Declining user base? If so, how much of that is the increasing average age?

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 4:28 pm 

I believe that's an Edison C-2

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920& ... CmG5BAvREM:

n3uvt wrote:
Between the trolls and know-it-alls (who are wrong 50% of the time), it is not hard to see a slowly declining user base here.

Such a hostile and judgmental attitude towards your own fellow ARF members. Maybe it's these kinds of verbal exchanges that are contributing to a slowly declining user base here. Ever think of that?

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 7:02 pm 

I think some of you are forgetting that this particular forum was designed to accommodate gripes about ebay and other sales sites---such criticism is not out of line here as it would be on the other forums.

I also don't believe that the OP knew the seller was a forum member when he created his post.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 7:09 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Regardless of whether or not the eBay seller is a member here, some courtesy should be a starting point. I also have noticed that the number of people who take delight in trashing eBay sellers has been increasing over the years. I cn't speak to a declining ARF membership or participation level, but this subforum is an example of mudslinging without the seller being able to defend themselves.

There is a thread on here about Facebook. Personally I find the Facebook groups quite civil compared to some of the threads on here.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 7:54 pm 

tubes4life wrote:
I think some of you are forgetting that this particular forum was designed to accommodate gripes about ebay and other sales sites---such criticism is not out of line here as it would be on the other forums.

I also don't believe that the OP knew the seller was a forum member when he created his post.

+1

I'm pretty sure Rodney would't have made any kind of comment if he knew that the seller was a member here. In case anybody has forgotten, here's the reason why this particular category even exists. Want to discuss (or just gripe) about Ebay, CraigsList and other online auction and internet sales sites? Here's the place. Links to your own auctions/sales and ads are not permitted. . So please, people, lighten up a little.

tt21 wrote:
I am leaving this forum. Nothing but hateful folks.

Really, nothing but hateful folks? So, what your saying is that everybody here is hateful, even the folks who tried to help you out. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=350629&p=2950492#p2950492