Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Mon 18, 2019 10:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: USPS package intercept fee?
PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 2:10 pm 

Last week, I ordered some parts for my computer. It was sent via UPS with a transfer to USPS for delivery (Surepost I think its called)

As I wasn't going to be home when it was sheduled to be delivered, it wouldn't fit in my mailbox and it was forecast to be windy and rainy, I decided to see if I could "Intercept" it at the local post office.

Tracking showed it was dropped off earlier that day to be delivered the next. I stopped in and asked as I have done so many times before in intercepting a package which often required a signature.

If i'm not home, they leave a note saying they will try the next day. Well, if I'm NOT going to be home, then its a waste of time and if they miss me too many times, it gets sent back to the sender.

So, they did allow me to pick it up, which so far has been sucessful in the past, but NOW they charge a $13.45 Intercept Fee!

https://www.usps.com/manage/package-intercept.htm

Really? I'm saving them the effort of delivering it and I get charged.
I can't be home to sign for it, and I get charged.

Seriously?

:evil:

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

Post subject: Re: USPS package intercept fee?
PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 2:54 pm 

https://store.usps.com/store/product/ca ... g-prod_OPI

Looks like it's a real thing - kind of a 'wow' moment for me.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 4:17 pm 

I frequently schedule a "mail hold" online and then pick up my mail at the Post Office. There's no charge for this, and supposedly it works so long as the hold is requested by 2am on the day of delivery. Perhaps you could use this to avoid an intercept fee.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 4:38 pm 

They don't want a bunch of packages hanging around, taking up space, waiting to be picked up. But yeah, it's mostly a money grab.

It could also be their "gentle" way of nudging people to rent P. O. Boxes. Unless things have changed radically, a parcel too large to fit in the rented box will be held for the box owner to pick up. Last I checked, they didn't charge extra for this.

That said, I think that now only the USPS is allowed to address a parcel to a P. O. Box. No other shippers will/can do it, AFAICT, so USPS kinda has you there.

As an alternative to Intercept, you could have items shipped "Hold For Pickup", but from what I've read, this is only available for Express parcels.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 6:02 pm 

Why I like UPS, just sign the sticker notice he leaves on your door and you'll get it delivered the next day, home or not.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 7:52 pm 

I did the intercept fee for an ebay item I sent, the buyer gave me the wrong address to some camp in Maine which was closed for the season, so I did the intercept thing about $15 it was re-routed to the new address which was a shipping forwarder to Russia.