Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 21, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: B & H model 100-203-3 oscope mods
PostPosted: May Thu 07, 2009 3:43 pm 

I am getting a Bell & Howell model 100-203-3 oscilloscope in about a week. Since this is a basic student model oscope I plan on making it into an oscilloscope clock. I will also add a switch so I can select between the clock circuit or the front panel inputs so I can still use it as a scope if needed. I have these two clock kits http://dutchtronix.com/ScopeClock.htm (I have the older version) and this one http://www.franktechniek.nl/Kits/oscill ... eclock.htm (need to replace the DAC as the horizontal output doesn't work). I will use the one that works best on that oscilloscope.

I also may try and see if it is possible to add an intensity modulation input to the scope so I can use it to display a video signal as well although I'm not sure if the horizontal sweep goes high enough. If not I can use an external signal provided the horizontal amp has the required bandwith. Also I may install two DPDT switches on the back of the scope that will allow me to reverse the deflection plates so I can invert a signal on the vertical and horizontal inputs. That way if I find the displayed clock is upside down or mirrored I can flip a switch and fix it. It will also invert the action of the position controls, but that will not be a problem.

Best I can remember this scope is only AC coupled which may be a slight problem since both scope clocks work best with DC coupling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 14, 2009 2:56 am 

Here's a picture of the scope http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/lit/belland ... 000001.jpg
I'm not sure if I want to add the clock inside the scope (requires adding one DPDT switch and one pushbuttion switch) as I would like to keep the look of the scope original if at all possible. I could always add the switches in the back of the scope, but would make it hard to adjust the clock. I can always replace the horizontal input with a BNC connector if it fits without enlarging the hole. then I could remove the ground connection on the horizontal and add a small SPST pushbuttion switch or momentary toggle switch. I could then remove the ground connection on the vertical input and mount the DPDT switch there. That way I have to drill no new holes and can return it to originality if needed. I plan on using a separate power supply for the scope clock hardware so that it stays powered up all the time. One circuit uses battery backup while the other uses a super capacitor for its backup voltage.