Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 25, 2018 4:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AES AM Transmitter problems
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2012 2:10 am 

I doubt connecting a stetson source the way he did would cause distortion. Now it may be possible that the op could try two resistors and a capacitor in series with each resistor which would keep any dc voltage on one channel from affecting the other channel.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2012 2:16 am 

Blustar1 wrote:
You're correct, but he might end up going through that route in any case.
I don't understand what route you mean.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2012 2:31 am 

Tube Radio wrote:
I doubt connecting a stetson source the way he did would cause distortion. Now it may be possible that the op could try two resistors and a capacitor in series with each resistor which would keep any dc voltage on one channel from affecting the other channel.
That's an interesting thought.
My experience, though, is that whatever one is at, 0 or offset, the other is too and, in any case, they see a 20k load between the two. That is, presuming a single ended output. All bets are off if it's BTL, but I doubt it and, if it were, he'd have troubles with mono signals as well, which he said sounded ok.

I know my sister’s iPod works into my Twin Triode Transmitter because we did it and the only difference there is I used 100ks because it's operating into a negative feedback node. I do the same thing on the Reactance Tube FM Transmitter and my heptode job used 10ks just like the configuration he made.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2012 3:47 am 

It could be that the particular device just doesn't like to be connected mono that way.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2012 4:01 am 

Tube Radio wrote:
It could be that the particular device just doesn't like to be connected mono that way.
Maybe, but I don't see why not.

Btw, if it were BTL it wouldn't work with 'typical' headphones on a 3 wire jack. It would have to be 4 wire.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2012 1:46 am 

But, back to his problem, he shouldn't have distortion with a mixer and the only time I've seen anything remotely resembling that was with Winamp playing something that had 'surround sound' content. For some reason it didn't seem to 'add' right and showed up as obscure background distortion (till I told Winamp to disallow 'surround sound') so I suppose it would be worth checking to see if he has some problematic 'equalizer' setting. In particular, any kind of '3d effects' or 'stereo enhancers' as those manipulate phase and could cause odd effects when added back together.[/quote]

You where correct, my Ipod was running in a "rock" equalizer mode, when switch off things became much better!
Thanks!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2012 5:28 am 

KDG wrote:
You where correct, my Ipod was running in a "rock" equalizer mode, when switch off things became much better!
Thanks!!!!!!
Super!
To tell the truth, I'm surprised a 'rock' setting would cause it since, in theory, that should simply boosts/depresses certain frequencies but, then, you never really know what they're doing in those things. Maybe they decided 'rock' needed some 'phase enhancement' too. Could also be sloppy encoding or some other 'unforeseen' effect.

I'm glad it's working now.