Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sat 22, 2017 9:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Building a battery operated 3 valve receiver
PostPosted: Jul Wed 19, 2017 3:00 am 

Hello everyone

This is both my first entry on your forum (thank you to Phil Nelson for recommending that I join) and as you will all find out very quickly, my first involvement in building a radio of any type. And why you may ask? Well, I am a member of a Men's Shed and very much into woodwork. After finishing making a new drop down writing desk for building my models in, my wife asked if I could build her an old fashioned Art Deco style radio, mainly because the real one that she would like is very expensive. Of course I said yes as I could see the challenge in using some nice Silky Oak timber I have for the case but then I finally realised that I had no idea of what went inside it. So, now I am just starting what I hope will be a very interesting, informative and productive journey.

To start with, I have found some details on what I think may be a good radio to start with and I have attached 4 documents that give all the details I have.

So folks, my first question to you, is do you think this is a suitable radio to start with?

I have been doing a lot of reading on schematic diagrams but what I have not been able to find is a book something along the lines of "How to build an old valve radio for dummies". So my second and last question for today is, can anyone recommend a book I should read before I go any further.

Any assistance given will be greatly appreciated.

R93847 (otherwise known as Daryl)

Attachments:
File comment: Details of the radio
3 valve receiver - 1 of 4.docx [238.61 KiB]
Downloaded 34 times
File comment: Schematic diagram
3 valve receiver - 2 of 4.docx [148.55 KiB]
Downloaded 31 times
File comment: Practical diagram
3 valve receiver - 3 of 4.docx [162.04 KiB]
Downloaded 12 times
File comment: Parts list
3 valve receiver - 4 of 4.docx [79.49 KiB]
Downloaded 14 times

Post subject: Re: Building a battery operated 3 valve receiver
PostPosted: Jul Wed 19, 2017 4:41 am 

Nice project. A three tube radio takes work as a first project. You must be located outside the US as we don't use those valves/tubes but it doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 19, 2017 5:44 am 

Hi Norm

Yes, Melbourne Australia. As for the tubes, I am having fun trying to find either the same or equivalents. I think this project is going to take a bit longer than originally anticipated. Daryl

PostPosted: Jul Wed 19, 2017 5:55 am 

Art Deco radios can be purchased on Ebay for reasonable money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Regal-Art-Deco- ... Swn~ZZbt0O

Working ones that have been cleaned up and restored are higher priced.
An old one can be restored for not too much money in parts and can be a fun project.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Emerson ... Sw32lYuiJG

PPL here on ARF will gladly help along the way w/advice.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 19, 2017 6:56 am 

R93847 wrote:
Hello everyone

This is both my first entry on your forum (thank you to Phil Nelson for recommending that I join) and as you will all find out very quickly, my first involvement in building a radio of any type. And why you may ask? Well, I am a member of a Men's Shed and very much into woodwork. After finishing making a new drop down writing desk for building my models in, my wife asked if I could build her an old fashioned Art Deco style radio, mainly because the real one that she would like is very expensive. Of course I said yes as I could see the challenge in using some nice Silky Oak timber I have for the case but then I finally realised that I had no idea of what went inside it. So, now I am just starting what I hope will be a very interesting, informative and productive journey.

To start with, I have found some details on what I think may be a good radio to start with and I have attached 4 documents that give all the details I have.

So folks, my first question to you, is do you think this is a suitable radio to start with?

I have been doing a lot of reading on schematic diagrams but what I have not been able to find is a book something along the lines of "How to build an old valve radio for dummies". So my second and last question for today is, can anyone recommend a book I should read before I go any further.

Any assistance given will be greatly appreciated.

What was the radio she wanted and is that the cabinet you're going to make? Reason being, it would seem appropriate to duplicate that radio design, or something similar.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 19, 2017 4:05 pm 

Dave Schmarder's site will give you many ideas about making radios.

http://makearadio.com/visitors/index.php

Some of his group are very good woodworkers and I marvel at the beauty of the cabinets and layouts.

Rich

PostPosted: Jul Thu 20, 2017 12:31 am 

Early European tubes are hard to find, expensive, and have odd tube sockets.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 20, 2017 12:58 am 

R93847 wrote:
I have been doing a lot of reading on schematic diagrams but what I have not been able to find is a book something along the lines of "How to build an old valve radio for dummies". So my second and last question for today is, can anyone recommend a book I should read before I go any further. Any assistance given will be greatly appreciated.
I did a Google search for [China tube radio kit] And got numerous hits. Seems tube radio kit fun has not gone unnoticed by the East. There are kits from one to five tubes, some with shortwave, some with regeneration, some with FM, some with circuit boards and some with metal chassis. Most include a box or cabinet of which could be ignored for your purpose.

I suggest this as the engineering is done, the tubes used are very common, all the parts are there with assembly instructions, (do check if in English) if a chassis, it is pre-punched.

GL

Chas

PostPosted: Jul Thu 20, 2017 6:55 am 

Hi Pbpix

Thanks for the links. Yes, there are some good ones available on eBay, unfortunately the postage to Australia can get a bit steep. I must admit though, I am getting very excited about learning more on actually building a radio. I have just found out that a member of our Men's Shed is right into electrics and he has offered to assist. So, as they say, In for a pound ......

Daryl

PostPosted: Jul Thu 20, 2017 6:58 am 

Hi Rich

That is a good site thank you. One thing is for sure, I will never be short of articles to read.

Daryl

PostPosted: Jul Thu 20, 2017 7:01 am 

G'day Chas

Some of my mates tell me I should start with a kit but as usual, I think I can go one better and start from scratch. I keep forgetting that I started building model boats from kits a long time before I built my first scratch model. Could be big lesson being learned down the track here.

Daryl

PostPosted: Jul Thu 20, 2017 8:28 am 

I built a 3 tube Regen from scratch, with the help of some of the board members here, on circuit design. It tunes the entire BCB, and gets stations at damn near every 10 Kilocycles.

Attachments:
Front view.jpg
Front view.jpg [ 171.92 KiB | Viewed 76 times ]
Three-tube Regen Rcvr.jpg
Three-tube Regen Rcvr.jpg [ 90.09 KiB | Viewed 76 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Thu 20, 2017 3:52 pm 

I don't want to discourage your kit or scratch building ideas, but you may want to consider buying a 40s era plastic or bakelite radio with a broken case, and modifying the chassis to fit your cabinet design. The reason I suggest this is that you would have all the coils and tubes, the price would be very cheap, and this may be a better fit for a deco-style case than a 20s style kit. Just a thought.