Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Mon 26, 2018 12:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 2165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109  Next
 Post subject: Re: 6V6 / 6AQ5 PP Stereo Amp
PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 12:02 am 

4.8cm is no small cap on that metalized film. I can make a series of holes from 1 inch to 2 inch to cover that. I was going to do the resistors at the edges so one could bend the resistors off to the side if they wanted.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 12:22 am 

dkjones96 wrote:
4.8cm is no small cap on that metalized film. I can make a series of holes from 1 inch to 2 inch to cover that. I was going to do the resistors at the edges so one could bend the resistors off to the side if they wanted.

Yes.. but the first 10uf cap I showed is smaller.
.. but people shopping may not be able to find the same exact ones... so leaving extra room for caps like that and large wattage resistors is a very good idea.

Last edited by Pbpix on Feb Tue 21, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 12:26 am 

Remember that if anyone uses my transformer-less supply with a dropper cap for the filaments, the other
board's filament pc traces will have to be able to be ( all 4 placed) in series.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 12:29 am 

I can't wait until these boards start to get into the hands of you other ARF amplifier-loving guys.
I'm sitting here saturating myself in the luxurious sounds as we speak. The 1st hour was listening to the 5902... now listening to the 6V6 amp...
what a dream. ( I know I keep saying it... but it's really a wonderful ear-full!)
I want you guys to enjoy what I'm experiencing too!

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 3:28 am 

I didn't think about the series string setup. I will need to edit that feature into the amp boards. At least an easy way to make them series.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 5:47 am 

Hello Kyle
Just make sure you can use the board for either way
Like me when build the bigger amp I want use a transformer
On one atleast

PostPosted: Feb Tue 21, 2017 8:45 am 

dkjones96 wrote:
I didn't think about the series string setup. I will need to edit that feature into the amp boards. At least an easy way to make them series.

Probably just an optional jumper for series or parallel feed?

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2017 4:23 am 

I received my pile of 5902 tubes (and other misc subminature tubes) so I would be interested in a circuit board to mount them (and the rest of the parts) on as well. There were also some triodes in the lot, but I don't want to complicate this by trying to make a tube preamp (and as my username suggests, I have no problems with solid state audio).

I would prefer to use a power transformer in my eventual project (if I can find one at a reasonable cost), for the sake of isolation/safety. Any recommendations on a power transformer?

Attachments:
5902 tubes.jpg
5902 tubes.jpg [ 194.9 KiB | Viewed 2402 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Thu 23, 2017 6:41 am 

50sTransistorRadios wrote:
I received my pile of 5902 tubes (and other misc subminature tubes) so I would be interested in a circuit board to mount them (and the rest of the parts) on as well. There were also some triodes in the lot, but I don't want to complicate this by trying to make a tube preamp (and as my username suggests, I have no problems with solid state audio).

I would prefer to use a power transformer in my eventual project (if I can find one at a reasonable cost), for the sake of isolation/safety. Any recommendations on a power transformer?

Hi 50sTR:
First... let me just say that you will LOVE the performance of this beautiful little amp.

Now...as for power:
I have been comfortably operating the 5902 amp using the transformer-less supply as is for many years without any problems. So I'm very comfortable with it.

However:
If you feel you "must" have an isolation transformer on it; you can do it several ways.

1) Just put an isolation transformer in front of the supply as it is designed now.
The complete amp including the filaments draws 120vAC @ .542A. (542ma AC)
So probably a 75VA 120/120 isolation transformer will work just fine.

2.) The B+ only draws about 80 - 100ma DC
You could use a 120v Isolation transformer rated 15VA or above
A triad N-48X or a Triad N-68X will work for the B+
You can still run the series filaments (as currently designed) via the 10uf dropper cap connected directly to the primary side.

3.) Same as # 2 above but use two transformers.
Use a separate 24v filament transformer for keeping the filaments in series or use a 12.6v or 6.3v filament transformer to run the filaments in 6.3v parallel or two strings of 12.6v series in parallel.

4.) Design an entirely different power supply of your own design.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 24, 2017 2:50 am 

The transformer might need to be 100VA or so. The load isn't resistive so it's best to double the actual requirement. A dual primary filament transformer would alleviate some of that since a lot of the load would be resistive.

An all-tube submini amp would be cute. My recent trip made me realize just how sad the headphone out on my travel laptop is so I need a small, portable, sturdy amp I can travel with.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2017 11:44 pm 

Hey John:
I have always been 'rolling' tubes in and out of my 6V6 anp and it seems to my ears that every time I come back to my Russian 6n6c (6v6) there seems to be a definite improvement in the overall deep resonance of every song I play.
So.. since I know you have these tubes as well... and probably your ears are better, ... do you hear any improvement with them or is this all in my head?

PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2017 11:50 pm 

dkjones96 wrote:
This is the board almost as it is going out. I need to assign numbers to the parts on the schematic and to do that I need a schematic I can edit. For the prototypes, however, this will work. Sending these off to be made this week. Once they come in I will build a 5902, 6AQ5, and 6V6 version of the board to verify they all work.

The tubes stick out of the opposite side of the board as the solid state components. I THINK the holes on each side of the octal sockets are in the right place for your typical chassis mount socket and if utilized with a 1/2" spacer the board can be mounted to the chassis using nothing but the socket screws(saves chassis drilling) otherwise the 5902 and 6AQ5s will need to have 4 holes drilled for mounting(though it occurs to me that I might be able to fit holes for the 7 pin sockets too).

I made sure the opamp was clear on both ends for easier replacement if someone wants to 'roll' some different ones and most of the capacitor areas have multiple holes to allow room for fitting different sizes of capacitors. Added filament balance resistor spots for hum management. All of the preamp signal lines are on the top layer and equidistant(not that it matters at AF) with a mostly uninterrupted ground plane for best shielding.

Attachment:
Mono Board Layout RSS.gif

There are things I would like to change in this schematic but I will do that as a part of my own thing later and start a thread on that.

Hi Kyle:
How are you coming along on these PC boards?
Many of us are interested in buying some.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2017 11:52 pm 

Here at my site you can find a version of both the 5902 amp and the 6V6 amp using a power transformer.
www.pbpix.com/amp

PostPosted: Jul Mon 10, 2017 2:18 am 

Pbpix wrote:

Here at my site you can find a version of both the 5902 amp and the 6V6 amp using a power transformer.
http://www.pbpix.com/amp

I will try the Russian tubes Peter. I am using the coke bottle tubes right now, just for looks. I have built another 6V6. Remember the one with a wood chassis? Also remember I ordered the wrong OT's, they were for the 5902.

If an isolation transformer is used in an amplifier circuit, do we need to isolate the tube heater circuit also? If not, a much smaller PT could be used.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 10, 2017 2:36 am 

I really like Edcor's CPXX series. I have the CXPP-15-8's for my 6V6 for the Zenith. They pump put the sound.
I will order another set soon for my other 6V6.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 10, 2017 7:13 am 

john8750 wrote:
Pbpix wrote:

http://www.pbpix.com/amp

I will try the Russian tubes Peter. I am using the coke bottle tubes right now, just for looks. I have built another 6V6. Remember the one with a wood chassis? Also remember I ordered the wrong OT's, they were for the 5902.

If an isolation transformer is used in an amplifier circuit, do we need to isolate the tube heater circuit also? If not, a much smaller PT could be used.

Well... the only reason I stuck a larger transformer in front was just to simplify the existing circuit so I wouldn't need to redesign the whole thing.

But if you only wanted to put an isolation transformer on the HV B+ ... then sure it can be much smaller.
Then you'd need to put the dropper cap for the filaments on the primary side.
Or just use a separate filament transformer for that.

Here's a transformer idea I was initially using for the 5902 amp which seemed to work fine.
The same idea can be used with the 6V6 amp if you feed the voltage doubler etc.
Attachment:
my PS-8 Ver2a.png
my PS-8 Ver2a.png [ 99.83 KiB | Viewed 1725 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Mon 10, 2017 7:42 am 

john8750 wrote:

Have you ever even tried uot those Russian 6V6s yet?

BTW...
If you have that extra set of Edcor OTs for the 5902 .... are they the 10 watt ones ?
http://edcorusa.com/xpp10-8k
16 ohm to 8k
... these are the ones where you must use 8 ohm to get 4k?

If so... maybe you can find a buyer here on ARF.
Remember Randy may be building the 5902 amp too. At least he's been threatening to do it.... lol

So find out if he's really sincerely interested in this project, .. and if so, maybe you can sell those to him to get your money back.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 11, 2017 7:51 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
john8750 wrote:

BTW...
If you have that extra set of Edcor OTs for the 5902 .... are they the 10 watt ones ?
16 ohm to 8k

Good idea peter. Remember that I ordered the wrong OT's for the 6V6, got the ones for the 5902.
I better give you a call tonight.
Remember Randy may be building the 5902 amp too. At least he's been threatening to do it.... lol

So find out if he's really sincerely interested in this project, .. and if so, maybe you can sell those to him to get your money back.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 11, 2017 7:54 pm 

john8750 wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
john8750 wrote:

BTW...
16 ohm to 8k

Good idea peter. Remember that I ordered the wrong OT's for the 6V6, got the ones for the 5902.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 11, 2017 9:30 pm 

john8750 wrote:

I should be back from dinner around 10:30 or a little later.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 2165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109  Next