Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 10:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for suggestions on my Halli S-38A
PostPosted: Nov Wed 01, 2017 11:44 pm 

I know you have all been waiting with bated breath since May for an update. :mrgreen: I located the problem--it was a failed "Herlec" multicap (C34 in an S-38A and C11 in a S-38B). I replaced it with discrete components and now it works more or less as it should. No need to use a 6W6 output tube as a couple of you suggested. The 6K6 provides plenty of volume.

However, the local oscillator doesn't work on bands 3 and 4 using a 6SA7 (it's NOS), but it does if I sub in a 6SB7-Y. There must be something wrong there. Once that gets figured out (hints, anyone?) I'd like to build a Q-multiplier for it.

Tom

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 4:26 am 

Any reason you didn't use a tube rectifier? That would be keeping the radio closer to stock. One other possibility for it would be a crystal calibrator.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 12, 2017 1:28 am 

N0BST, I never meant to leave it close to stock. I converted the radio to AC and it now uses 6 volt tubes. Furthermore, the power transformer I'm using doesn't have a 5 volt winding for a 5Y3. I wanted the leftover socket for something else and decided on an OB3 regulator installed where the 35Z5 used to be. I'm also installing an S-meter and hope to have a BFO rigged up before long. The empty hole in the front panel is for a pitch control. I can add a 6J5 or 6SQ7 and will still be safely under the 2 amp rating of the 6 volt filament winding of the power transformer.

This afternoon I'm messing around with hooking up my Heathkit Q multiplier to it to see what happens (powered independently). The S-38 is not particularly selective.

I'll eventually strip the case, repaint it and use rub-on lettering to replace the old labels. Some of you might think this is a dumb project but so what? I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. :P

Attachment:
P1060061.jpg
P1060061.jpg [ 60.94 KiB | Viewed 129 times ]

Tom