Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 20, 2018 9:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Determining 1st and 2nd IF transforners
PostPosted: May Tue 22, 2018 3:07 am 

I'm assembling a hacked together Am receiver, I have some IF transformers from an unknown 50's set.
How can I tell which is 1st and 2nd IF.
I'm thinking 1st has a wider passband than the 2nd, and this probably means there will be a larger difference in inductance of the pri and sec windings.
Does this sound about right?, if so a simple check with an inductometer is all thats needed.

Post subject: Re: Determining 1st and 2nd IF transforners
PostPosted: May Wed 23, 2018 4:13 am 

Its also possible to adjust the bandwidth by the spacing of the primary and secondary. So each side may measure the same in both trans.

PostPosted: May Wed 23, 2018 4:48 am 

If you can safely pull the shield off them, the 1st IF should have primary and secondary about the same size. The 2nd IF often has a smaller secondary. If the 2nd IF has the same size primary and secondary, then there's a good chance that you could use either one in either position.

Measuring inductance will likely give confusing results unless you temporarily disconnect the internal capacitors before measuring.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 19, 2018 12:07 am 

2nd IF transformers sometimes have lower impedance secondaries to allow for driving diode detectors which present more of a load. You may be able to determine this by testing at resonance with a signal generator, scope, and a load resistor; if there's any difference (and in some cases there wasn't), the 2nd IF will appear to have a lower output voltage than the 1st for the same primary voltage and the same load. Coil inductance alone won't tell you about the coupling to the primary.

Thomas A. Edison