Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Mon 19, 2018 8:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Scope clock build
PostPosted: May Thu 10, 2018 4:42 am 

I recently got a larger Heath kit oscope going again for an oscope clock with the dutchtronix board http://www.dutchtronix.com/ScopeClockH3-1-Enhanced.htm (had the sparkfun version but it had a defective RTC) when I finally had the money to purchase it.

That worked, but I wan ted to ditch the original circuitry so I started looking around and found this CRT driver circuit

http://www.electronixandmore.com/projec ... index.html

I ordered three of the boards because I wanted an oscope clock for my stereo room in the house, my 12' X 12' building and my desk at work.

So for the clock for work it needs to be small and I had thought about an old Huntron Tracker, but then I remembered a small OS-8 scope I have and thought of using an unrestored one just like it.

I tried it last night to see how well it worked being nearly fully restored (real pain in the butt) and it seemed to work ok so I thought don't mess with that one.

Now tonight I tried it and the horizontal amp is dead aside from the horizontal position control so that has got me thinking of maybe just using it for the clock. Besides when operating it was never really all that great.

First thing is.

How common is this scope?

Don't want to use it if the scope is not common.

The power transformer does have the necessary windings the CRT driver and scope clock require so that is real easy.

The clock board has a serial port which I used to attach the clock to the scope in the Heath one since the serial port is useful given it is how the firmware is updated and how the terminal app is accessed so I would remove the board on the rear of the scope where the deflection connections are made then duplicate the mounting holes in a piece of metal and make a cutout for the serial port.

Will that scope be a good choice or should I find something else?

Post subject: Re: Scope clock build
PostPosted: Aug Sun 19, 2018 3:32 am 

Any Hamfest special, that includes old vectorscopes, cheap 5" scopes. I usually never pay more than $5. 50-50 pay and free. You just gotta wait until the end.

Post subject: Re: Scope clock build
PostPosted: Aug Sun 19, 2018 7:52 pm 

Cool