Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 19, 2018 8:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 9KC6 Transmitter
PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 7:52 pm 

Almost unbelievably I've had a request for this, has VFO added since I posted it some years back... Point to this one is it built with only TV tubes and mostly junk box parts(bridge rect, 6800 mfd cap, osc coil etc)... Since VFO came later, values for that section are listed at component vs in the parts list...

Unfortunately there is no equivalent to 9KC6, several choices for the triodes, even 3v versions that could be wired in series...

Post subject: Re: 9KC6 Transmitter
PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 9:48 pm 

I'm sure there must be other oddball video amp tubes which could be used in place of the 9KC6. Wasn't there also a 7KY6 and a 9KX6 with the same basing? There have to be others where G3 has a connection separate from the cathode. The family of tubes with the same basing as 12BY7 comes to mind.........

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject: Re: 9KC6 Transmitter
PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 10:26 pm 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
I'm sure there must be other oddball video amp tubes which could be used in place of the 9KC6. Wasn't there also a 7KY6 and a 9KX6 with the same basing? There have to be others where G3 has a connection separate from the cathode. The family of tubes with the same basing as 12BY7 comes to mind.........

Dennis, this is one of those times you're going to gain experience... :wink:

The 9KC6 was used as chroma demodulator in series string CTV, not at all like a 9KX6, 12BY7 etc video amp... Those are frame grid construction, whereas 9KC6 has a second control grid instead of suppressor... Would be outstanding if one of the video tubes could be used...

Among dual control tubes the 9KC6 is unique, as it can't be cathode biased to achieve any resemblance of audio linearity... It's best performance is achieved with a small amount of cathode bias and fixed bias on G3 from separate source... That and the odd heater requires special considerations not generally necessary in these transmitters...