Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Fri 22, 2018 12:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Worthwhile Pursuit? Western Electric KS-16754 Amplifier
PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 3:51 pm 

Hello All,

First, an admission: I am weak when it comes to some interesting electro-mechanical stuff. I get enjoyment simply taking stuff apart (much to my Dad's annoyance when I was young).

I have a telephone switch rack standing in my garage with, among other things, four KS-16754 Western Electric amplifiers on it. The schematic and general spec documents can be found here (I believe mine are the 'List 3' type):

http://telephonecollectors.info/index.p ... -desc/file

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/ind ... 176-200-i6

My question is if it is possible to somehow rig up a mic or harmonica preamp/amp out of these things. My better half would be happy if I could - something good would come out of a 7-foot rack taking up space in the garage.

Looking for ideas and suggestions here as I do not know how to design electrical circuits. Thankfully there is already a 24V transformer on the rack so I can at least work with relatively low voltage. Not sure if I can just connect one in front of a 600 ohm primary output transformer and connect a mic on the amp inputs and be done or if all sorts of other work would be required. I am not worried about the limited range of frequency (200 - 6000 hz) since I can't sing anyway....

If nothing else it will be fun to tear down the rack and salvage parts while listening to the radio.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions. If this is a foolish thing to pursue, you can let me know as well.

Best Regards,

Greenhorn

Post subject: Re: Worthwhile Pursuit? Western Electric KS-16754 Amplifier
PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 1:55 am 

Looks to me like the main interest in the item is just that it is WE and part of phone history. Being WE you can say it is high quality and reliability, but pretty well custom made for it's specific application. Looks like a typical transformer coupled little transistor push pull amplifier with the disadvantage that the output trans is elsewhere. Kinda like those little Archer Japanese audio amp boards from Radio Shack back in the day. Except this one would probably be suboptimal for music apps with the bandwidth purposely limited for voice circuits. I guess if you wanted to sound like you were playing over a desk phone, it could achieve that. Ootput appears to be probably low impedance as is input, although it seems to depend on which version you have. I would just try selling the bits on ebay. As long as they are WE someone may pay too much for them. Unless there are telephone collectors in your area or a telephone museum, which might want the whole thing intact as an example of the tech of the era. Otherwise sell as parts, maybe. Be sure to include the output trans in a same or seperate auction as I am sure those may be desired with the amps.