Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 16, 2018 2:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A Great Homebrew Transmitter
PostPosted: Apr Thu 05, 2018 2:55 am 

I had several LM386 amp kits that I bought for a dollar each from China on ebay, so I made one up and added it to the xmitter, per fifties build.

I have to say that the ability to control the amplitude of the input is a plus. When I used my PC to feed the transmitter I had the volume at 100%. Now I can make it 33%, 50% or whatever and just turn the knob on the amp.
Attachment:
Broadcaster2.jpg
Broadcaster2.jpg [ 174.53 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]

Here I'm transmitting "Whipping Post" from the PC to a radio in the other room.
I'm still waiting on the stereo jack, which the post office has sent by Pony Express and won't arrive for another 5 days, so I still only have half a channel.
Attachment:
Broadcaster1.jpg
Broadcaster1.jpg [ 194.75 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]

I made a label for the cigar box.

If I ever make another cigar box project I'll make the label first. I spent more time on the label than I did on the transmitter, and it still isn't perfect.

By the way, cigar stores sell cigar boxes. I got this one for two bucks. You would not believe the variety of boxes, and the craftsmanship that goes into them is outstanding.

Still waiting on mcoates to check in. I didn't mean to hijack the thread but it was his question and fifties answer that got me motivated.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 05, 2018 3:28 am 

jimmc wrote:
Unfortunately AM radio has gone the way of the 6 volt car. My 6 volt 54 Packard can only pick up one AM worth listening to daytime only.
Too bad, as we have a full dial in southern California. It is fun to also pick-up stations such as AM660 in Window Rock, AZ in the evenings.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 05, 2018 3:45 am 

SkyKing wrote:
I had several LM386 amp kits that I bought for a dollar each from China on ebay, so I made one up and added it to the xmitter, per fifties build.

I have to say that the ability to control the amplitude of the input is a plus. When I used my PC to feed the transmitter I had the volume at 100%. Now I can make it 33%, 50% or whatever and just turn the knob on the amp.
Attachment:
Broadcaster2.jpg

Here I'm transmitting "Whipping Post" from the PC to a radio in the other room.
I'm still waiting on the stereo jack, which the post office has sent by Pony Express and won't arrive for another 5 days, so I still only have half a channel.
Attachment:
Broadcaster1.jpg

I made a label for the cigar box.

If I ever make another cigar box project I'll make the label first. I spent more time on the label than I did on the transmitter, and it still isn't perfect.

By the way, cigar stores sell cigar boxes. I got this one for two bucks. You would not believe the variety of boxes, and the craftsmanship that goes into them is outstanding.

Still waiting on mcoates to check in. I didn't mean to hijack the thread but it was his question and fifties answer that got me motivated.

Great job! And that label threw me for a loop, until I read that you had made it up yourself, looks very professional!

Thx for the tip on Cigar boxes, I'll have to check that out locally.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 06, 2018 12:26 am 

As for our question about the old summing network being left in or not, I shorted the 1K resistors and didn't notice any difference.

Attachments:
SummingNetwork.jpg
SummingNetwork.jpg [ 131.56 KiB | Viewed 246 times ]