Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 10, 2018 7:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Circuit question
PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 2:55 pm 

Wasn't sure exactly how to title this.

I have a Stark LSG-10 RF generator I modded to produce a cleaner sinewave which involved some changes to the cathode follower circuit as seen in this schematic.

Attachment:
Stark LSG-10A currently wired 2.jpg
Stark LSG-10A currently wired 2.jpg [ 114.78 KiB | Viewed 1002 times ]

I'm using this Digital frequency display with the RF generator.

http://www.pongrance.com/fullmanual.pdf

The problem is it loads down the output somewhat and distorts the sinewave a little.

I'm thinking of adding this preamp to the DFD since it has a space for an extra IC chip that isn't connected to anything.

Attachment:
RF preamp .jpg
RF preamp .jpg [ 28.26 KiB | Viewed 1002 times ]

Will that still load down the circuit?

If it does would it be possible to take that chip wire it as a buffer and use that in place of the cathode follower since it is good to 60Mhz which is higher than what the dial can display?

Here's the data for the chip.

http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/lt1252.pdf

Post subject: Re: Circuit question
PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 4:02 pm 

Probably the biggest load is the coax. You need a buffer at the source to drive the coax.

The amp might work with a short wire to the cathode follower.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 5:13 pm 

Currently I only have a couple wires going to the output of the generator and not a coax.

I know that I do need to get the output impedance of the RF generator much lower as well, but with the cathode follower configuration I cannot without messing the sinewave up considerably.

I know that I do not necessarily need a clean sinewave, but I do want it to be as clean as possible.

Now would it be possible to modify that circuit with the chip and just replace the cathode follower with that chip?

If so I can use a voltage doubler circuit consisting of two diodes each one wired reverse from the other which will give me a + unloaded B+ of 8.0598Vdc and a - supply of 8.0598Vdc which should give me an output of 16.1196Vpp not accounting for how far below the rail to rail voltage the chip can actually do.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 5:24 pm 

I see where you can get a little more drive for the counter. Take it at the top of r8 pin 8 of the 12BH7. The impedance will be lower as well. Then add am MPF102 or similar in a source follower to isolate and drive the counter. You can power the fet from B+ through a dropping resistor and capacitor filter it with both an electrolytic and a ceramic disc or other rf friendly capacitor since electrolytics do not handle rf well.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 5:26 pm 

It seems very strange that the frequency counter is loading the cathode follower. What does the frequency counter input circuit look like? Typically, they are CMOS with an input impedance of 100's of Megohms.

Try connecting a 22k resistor between the cathode follower and the counter input and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 5:29 pm 

The freq counter has an impedance of 50k ohms.

I agree a simple FET follower would be a simple solution.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 5:38 pm 

According to the link in the first post, the counter uses a 74HC/AE161 as a prescaler. That chip has 3.5pf input capacitance, directly connected to the counter input. I agree a series resistor and take-off to the counter directly at the tube's cathode, should reduce interaction. 22k might need to be reduced for better high freq. counting.

Honestly, although this is OT, I don't see the value in that generator circuit mod. It increases the generator's output impedance by a factor of 5 which will make it even more sensitive to a load.

edit: fet follower is good idea

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 6:03 pm 

The FET would work I think.

I get the following voltage range from the cathode follower.

13.15Vpp at 327.5KHz on band A
255mVpp at 30.7973MHz on band E

Not concerned with band F as the counter won't go that high.

Unfortunately doe to the oscillator circuit I will never get the output levels to be equal across all bands and all frequencies.

Yes Rich IU agree about the cathode follower mod increasing output impedance.

Was trying to avoid that, but at the time the only way I knew to solve it was properly biasing the cathode follower which meant increasing the cathode resistance and also applying a bias voltage to the grid.

Here's the stock schematic. Mine has two 3pF caps one conencted between band E and ground and the other betwen band C and ground.

Attachment:
stark_lsg-10a_rf_signal_generator_sch.png
stark_lsg-10a_rf_signal_generator_sch.png [ 111.06 KiB | Viewed 963 times ]

Now I can solve all my problems by getting a N3ZI DDS VFO kit for $99, but I don't quite have that much to spend yet.

I do still plan on installing the preamp on the board as the counter can be used for other things besides just this RF generator.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 6:13 pm 

Try putting it back to original. It will have a lower output impedance and may drive the counter without an additional buffer.

With the high resistance o the cathode, that is probably why you are getting much lower signals at high frequencies.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 7:01 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
I have a Stark LSG-10 RF generator I modded to produce a cleaner sinewave...
There's no advantage in an RF generator to producing a "cleaner" sinewave.

That might be advantageous in an audio generator, but not in an RF generator.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 7:18 pm 

Thank you Leigh.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 7:33 pm 

Leigh wrote:
Tube Radio wrote:
I have a Stark LSG-10 RF generator I modded to produce a cleaner sinewave...
There's no advantage in an RF generator to producing a "cleaner" sinewave.

That might be advantageous in an audio generator, but not in an RF generator.

- Leigh

I know that, but need a relatively clean sinewave for the counter to work properly as the stock output of the Stark was more along the lines of how a 1/2 wave rectified DC voltage looked on band A and maybe B with the rest looking a bit better and at some frequencies had other oddities with the waveform such that the counter would often not display the correct frequency and the output wouldn't always supply enough drive for the counter to display properly.

The cleaner sinewave made the counter work much better and it displays all the correct frequencies.

SHenion, the lower output is present at the oscillator plate and grid as well and is just how the simple oscillator is.

I wonder if the tube doesn't have as much gain as the frequency increases or maybe as the coils get smaller the coupling gets lower and lower which would produce less output.

I do know that the sinewave on the oscillator plate and/or grid is a clean sinewave so it is possible to produce a clean sinewave. I'm thinking perhaps one of those chips could serve as a replacement for the cathode follower as it would be able to drive a low impedance load and maybe I could figure out some sort of filter that will reduce the output of the lower bands, but that would introduce a phase shift.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 7:57 pm 

I like the idea of a simple fet buffer assuming it has enough drive for your counter and cables. Please consider that a buffer's input should be connected by the shortest wire possible, preferably mounted inside the gen close to the tube, otherwise you're making even more trouble for yourself.

Pardon me being OT again, I also notice you changed the rf feedpoint from the oscillator's plate to its grid. I don't understand the circuit well enough, why was that change made? Also, why those two 3pf caps? Did those bands need padding?

Truth is, I've contemplated some sort of amp/buffer scheme for my poor little Heathkit rf gen. It's 120mv or less output is plenty for radio servicing but there are times I want more.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 8:24 pm 

The reason why I suggested the isolation resistor is that it's possible that you are overdriving the CMOS input to the point where the protection diodes are starting to conduct, and that may be the reason why it's causing distortion of the waveform.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 9:01 pm 

I do know the input impedance of the counter is at least 50K.

I could try a series resistor, but I'm thinking it might be best if I were to replace the cathode follower.

Would it be possible to take the preamp circuit, make it a buffer and increase the two 10K resistors to 1Meg while still being able to properly handle a 40MHz signal?

The original circuit shows C10 as a 3pF cap and that may have been their attempt at reducing the output as the frequency went lower or perhaps to provide less loading, but it also affected the waveform at the lower frequencies so I found a 30pF cap produced the best sinewave across the whole range of frequencies aside from the highest band which was already lower in output and is even lower after the mod, but that band covers frequencies I'll never use and I got an FM generator for 88-108MHz.

I might try disconnecting the 30pF cap tomorrow and see what the waveform looks like on the plate and grid of the oscillator.

The modulation scheme is not very good so I may not use it to reduce load on the small power transformer the generator has.

Wonder if it is possible to for instance install a 6BA6, 6BE6 or other 7 pin pentode in place of the audio oscillator pentode then use a diode to produce a - voltage to control the gain like what AGC would do. I could then feed a FET buffer. Wonder if I could just feed the - voltage to the triode grid and wire it up for gain then feed a FET buffer? The idea there would be to keep the output voltage fairly constant.

There is a wide voltage range though so it may not work like I think it would.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 10:30 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
Would it be possible to take the preamp circuit, make it a buffer and ...

Tube Radio wrote:
Wonder if it is possible to for instance install a 6BA6, 6BE6...

Would it be possible, for instance, to just try the resistor, or are you determined to make this thing as complicated as you possibly can?

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 10:59 pm 

The problem is not the waveform, it is the counter input. It does not have proper input conditioning or hysteresis.

Put the generator back to stock, then figure a better input to the counter. I'd use a buffer with feedback to add a bit of hysteresis.

As is, you put a 50ohm cable on it and it will load the signal way down and probably ring.