Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 10, 2018 6:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Has anyone made a SW transmitter?
PostPosted: Apr Wed 04, 2018 9:24 pm 

Like 4, 8, or 16Mhz to transmit to your radios. Most of mine have short wave, and all I can pick up is in Spanish. Would be nice to be able to use SW and maybe pick up Fibber.

Post subject: Re: Has anyone made a SW transmitter?
PostPosted: Apr Wed 04, 2018 10:15 pm 

I have popped in 16.0000MHz and 16.2570 oscillators in my 6888 and `386 transmitters to see what would happen. Worked great for the few minutes I tested. Peaking the antenna was poor but I got a good signal over 50 feet. Same room, sounded great, but illegal.

My favorite is 1.8432MHz to show off my SW radios. Of course the harmonics from 1000KC shows up on SW too.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 05, 2018 1:38 am 

Mike Toon wrote:
Of course the harmonics from 1000KC shows up on SW too.

All of my German radios I've looked at start at 6Mhz. Just have a Philco that starts at 1.8Mhz.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 05, 2018 1:48 am 

Well I tried the Philco 39-116 on lower SW and it picks up like gangbusters, but not my station at 1340 X 2. I got WWV on 2.5MHz and 5MHz, but not on 10 or 15. Along with WWV I got a tremendous amount of noise that ranged from 2.2Mhz to 5.5Mhz, that ended up coming from my LED lights. I thought that was the FCCs job, to make sure electronic equipment didn't radiate and cause interference. There is still noise coming from other switch mode power supplies though out the house, but I can at least hear the time tick. Wonder how quiet the background was 50 years ago?

PostPosted: Apr Thu 05, 2018 1:59 am 

I've also found that I pick up harmonics from my transmitter on the SW bands. They come in loud and clear.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 05, 2018 3:43 am 

Tin Omen wrote:
Wonder how quiet the background was 50 years ago?
It wasn't...

Between 160 and 80 meters Loran splattered all around with its clickity buzz. The Communist block countries with their jamming. Jam a city but the noise would go world wide. Then there were number counting stations, carrier swoops and quadruplex RTTY. The Russian "Woodpecker" over the horizon radar. There was a great deal more high speed telegraphy and radio facsimile too. When the foreign stations did not beam to U.S. in English they covered their countries with their native tongue. Just before the hour, many stations would play a melody of notes or other music to capture the listener. If you knew the music then you had the station correctly tuned. If your were DX'ing a close weak station, oops...

Ideally, if you want to do the DX'ing more sucessfully, use a real time MUF onlline chart and follow the bands as they open & close. That means not at your prime time but often in the wee hours...

I searched and found this at YouTube, I think you will like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIbJgRZCzH4

It brings back many memories of hours of listening. I wish I had recorded what I heard and sent the QSL's. So many of these stations are gone now, forever, sad, very sad :cry:

Chas

PostPosted: Apr Fri 06, 2018 3:01 am 

Chas wrote:
Tin Omen wrote:
Wonder how quiet the background was 50 years ago?
It wasn't...

Just about every old time radio service book and many of the home experimenter magazines have chapters and articles on quieting interference from neon signs, universal motors (the one in my electric train completely destroyed my parents' TV reception), fluorescent lights, automobile ignitions, and other things. It wasn't the dead silent background people sometimes imagine.