Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 21, 2017 9:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Delmonico Console with Dry Bar
PostPosted: May Sat 27, 2017 12:25 am 

Hey guys, I'm back with another console. I have no idea what year this is from, as I can't find this model listed anywhere on the web. But it's a Delmonico 40SB407. It's got a BSR TT but I can't seem to locate any model number. Maybe it's a UA55? or MA65?

A neighbor lady was using this console as a TV stand and hadn't listened to it since the early 80s. It was really dusty, like woah.
I traded her for a regular TV stand and started cleaning it up.

There was a horrible static coming from the unit no matter which knob you touched... So I sprayed out the pots and now it sounds great.
Not as great as my Panasonic unit, but that's to be expected from a Delmonico.

Turntable seems to work, but the stylus is broken. I just ordered a new cart, so hopefully I'll have a nice functional unit for my office.
Obviously the little mini dry bar is the coolest part.

Attachment:
IMG_4883.jpg
IMG_4883.jpg [ 62.94 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4885.jpg
IMG_4885.jpg [ 63.37 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4874.jpg
IMG_4874.jpg [ 235.53 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4869.jpg
IMG_4869.jpg [ 51.12 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4870.jpg
IMG_4870.jpg [ 43.21 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4893.jpg
IMG_4893.jpg [ 43.32 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4907.jpg
IMG_4907.jpg [ 95.53 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Post subject: Re: Delmonico Console with Dry Bar
PostPosted: Jun Thu 01, 2017 5:23 pm 

eh, the cartridge showed up in the mail, so i went to replace it. The old wires and clips just disintegrated when i tried to unplug the old cart. the wires and heat wrap were really brittle.

I ordered a kit off eBay, hopefully this does the trick..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Cartridge-Cli ... 0538893633

PostPosted: Jun Tue 06, 2017 4:33 am 

Concerning the console it would be wise to replace all the electrolytic capacitors.

Also you can get better sound if you figure out where the tweeters are crossed over at then ad a choke in series with the woofer so it crosses over at the same frequency.

If so desired measure the ohms of the tweeter and woofer and post them and the capacitor value and I'll figure out what inductor you need for the woofer.

One thing you may run into is B+ sagging at high volume levels. If it does just measure the AC output of the power transformer across the whole winding with no music playing and find a power transformer with a secondary of the voltage you measured rated at least 3 amps. If it uses a full wave rectified supply you can use a bridge rectifier and a large filter cap of at least 10,000uF, but the transformer voltage would need to be 1/2 the value you measured. That will ensure the B+ sag doesn't happen.

Did that to a Sylvania solid state radio and gained maybe a watt or two more in output power.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 16, 2017 10:17 pm 

Thanks tube radio!
I think that's a little beyond my electronics knowledge but this console would certainly be a good candidate for me to learn on.

I was able to get the new clips wired in, and the unit works really great!! The auto feature actually functions perfectly.

I will say the sound quality is very poor compared to my Panasonic, or even an RCA console that I picked up for free. It's very tin-ee. The sound coming off the stylus is very loud compared to the other tts I've owned/ operated.

But for a $30 console for the office, eh it works.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 11:48 am 

The problem with the sound could be the speakers themselves.

If the speakers are 8 ohms you may be able to install some 6" X 9" two or three way car audio speakers and get better sound.

If you have a decent set of speakers I suggest wiring them in first to see if the console sounds any better with better speakers.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 20, 2017 1:19 am 

Hey tube radio thanks! I'll find that a try. I actual have a nice pair of car speakers sitting around that could at least replace the tweeters. I'll keep an eye out for dinner 6x9s