Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 25, 2018 6:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Belt drive T/Ts... preserving belts
PostPosted: May Fri 11, 2018 9:37 pm 

Not sure if this is "Hints and Kinks" or Audio...
I have four T/Ts, three are Technics belt-drive and one is Dual direct drive. I circulate them around two stereo systems on a whim! About every 3 months... or more frequently!
I'm not sure if this is "known wisdom" or a new idea, but I am concerned that the belts in the temporarily unused T/Ts will get stressed at the point where they wrap around the motor drive spindle, i.e. on a tighter radius. Thus, when I put a T/T into temp. storage, I remove the belt from the motor spindle and just let it sit around the platter drum... just seems like a good idea. I don't go to the extent of removing the belt completely and putting it in a plastic bag.
For the belt drive T/T in service, but not played every day, I often turn the platter a few times by hand (or spin it with the motor) so that the position of the belt at rest becomes random. I've no idea is this does any good, but it makes me feel better!
Is there any T/T "belt law" out there that I should know?
Cheers,
Roger

Last edited by engineer on May Sat 12, 2018 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Belt drive T/Ts... preserving belts
PostPosted: May Sat 12, 2018 12:44 am 

engineer wrote:
I'm not sure if this is "known wisdom" or a new idea, but I am concerned that the belts in the temporarily unused T/Ts will get stressed at the point where they wrap around the motor drive spindle, i.e. on a tighter radius. Thus, when I put a T/T into temp. storage, I remove the belt from the motor spindle and just let it sit around the platter drum... just seems like a good idea. I don't go to the extent of removing the belt completely and putting it is a plastic bag.

Lifting a belt will help prevent dead spots, for sure, but nothing will keep the belt from aging, and when they begin to firm up, forget it.
Many years ago, I tried rubber revitalizers on belts, rollers, idler tires, etc., and when it works it's quite temporary. I would never do this to a customer's unit. You'd be much better off trying to source a new one.

You did the right thing by not storing them in bags, assuming you would have used the typical poly bag. If stored this way for too long a period, the belts will melt.
This has happened to me with NOS belts that I left in the bag the manufacturer shipped them in, but I didn't use them soon enough.
Despite being kept in climate-controlled storage, when I went to retrieve them they were a melted mushy mess, welded to one another and stuck to the bag like smeared glue.
It could be that the rubber melted together and not to the bag, in which case storing them individually might have avoided the catastrophe. If you do decide to ever store one in a plastic bag, I recommend making sure the belt doesn't contact itself for the duration.

PostPosted: May Sat 12, 2018 4:19 am 

I put belts into a pair of turntables I have and used them all too infrequently. I had also placed a spare belt in a plastic hollow under the platter on the deck. I took the platter off a couple of weeks ago to find the belt had turned to goo...

IMHO the belt reacted with the plastic deck, oops

I wouln't suggest buying spare belts, they will age and decompose.

All one can hope for is when a belt is needed that one is still available and "fresh"

Chas

PostPosted: May Sat 12, 2018 5:33 am 

I've had good luck with storing my belts in the fridge inside a Tupperware container slightly sprinkled with talcum powder.

The lower temperature slows down the deterioration of the rubber compound or something like that (I'm not a chemist)

The powder soaks up any moisture or goo that may develop.

I still have an assortment of VCR and Cassette player belts that are in good shape using this method.

As for turntables, I do remove my belts off the motor pulley and let them rest on the platter when not in use.

PostPosted: May Sun 13, 2018 5:54 am 

Thanks for the replies... I'll keep on with what I am doing. It looks like we are "hostage to fortune" regarding belt supply! Just how long will belts be sold? Even if we want to keep our belt-drive T/Ts running "for ever", there may be no new belts available and the ones we have will be rotting away. Direct-drive may be the only answer... pity, as I quite like belt-drive! Perhaps some new, hi-tech polymer belt will appear that will work...
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: May Thu 17, 2018 2:56 am 

You may be in luck for belts for awhile, as new TTs and expensive ones that are belt drive will require replacements for some time. However I have direct drive servo controlled here, and for the speed accuracy and never having to think of a belt, I have to consider that some day the complicated electronics may pfffft. Thing has more guts than alot of stereo receivers do.