Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 17, 2018 3:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Info, Schematic on '56 Radio Craftsmen CX-22 "Serenade"?
PostPosted: Mar Mon 27, 2017 12:21 am 

Looking for any info (especially service info), schematic, owner's manual, etc, on the 1956 Radio Craftsmen CX-22 "Serenade" mono console.
I have a friend who would like me to restore the piece for her, as it was her Grandparents "stereo" who bought it new at a one time venerable TV appliance store in Sacramento...Not listed in Sams.
All I could find in reference online was in radio museum.
Would possibly purchase originals, but scans o.k. to just help me get parts (caps, etc) together for restore.
Thanks everyone!

Last edited by ampstamp88 on Oct Fri 12, 2018 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Info, Schematic on '56 Radio Craftsmen CX-22 "Serenade"
PostPosted: Mar Mon 27, 2017 1:58 am 

I would expect it used Radio Craftsmen chassis like the 500 amp and 800 tuner/preamp. Identify the chassis used and you may find the Sams folders on my web page: http://www.Aduiophile.com/hifistuff.html or on Radiomuseum.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 27, 2017 7:06 am 

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply.

I have a 800 tuner, a Rc-8 tuner and a pair of early RC-2 amps in my collection, as well as associated paperwork from the Ravenswood (Chicago) era of Radio craftsmen..which are largely higher powered and octal based, so probably a bit different.

This is a later model wood console made in L.A. using a pair of 6AQ5 (& other 7, 9 pin tubes) I noticed on backside tube layout chart when
inspecting the console in her home...I would guess 5, 6 watt output receiver into 6 small speakers and record changer...

Just would like to bring the right filter caps along to replace, when I do a long distance "radio service" call sometime in the next few weeks...

- Kent

PostPosted: Mar Mon 27, 2017 7:22 am 

Guess model CX-22 is not listed in the old Photofact indexes under "Craftsmen" or "Radio Craftsmen"...
I did look at radio museum's listing for model again (Just an ad posted on site) and found out it has "built in xophonic", 4 not 6 speakers,
AM/FM tuner and 4 speed mono changer...

PostPosted: Oct Thu 11, 2018 12:01 am 

Still looking for any info on this unit other than mentioned earlier in old post.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 11, 2018 7:51 pm 

Post a photo. At one time the Scott Radio Laboratories under John Meck employed a Radio Craftsman tuner in a console. Perhaps it was the same.

Norman

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 1:27 am 

Thanks Norm,
Wrote the friend who has the console about a front photo and inside under lid photo of tuner and record changer, probably a bit too difficult (lots of screws on back panel) for her to get photo of interior chassis.
I recall the amplifier/tuner chassis underneath is chrome though, like earlier Ravenswood made Radio Craftsmen before the company moved to California and EH Scott.