Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 21, 2018 2:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 3M Germanium Transistor part numbers
PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 2:46 am 

“I with I still had that kind of ambition”

— One thing I am learning about getting older is, whatever your body and mind tries to dissuade from doing is exactly what you should do...you do not feel like walking any more? Walk is what you need to do! Ambition failing? Do it for the sport of it anyways, soon enough the ambition comes back. (Maybe too obvious a “self-help” message in so sophisticated a forum but I find you can never hear it enough.)

“To try and get back on topic... there was another 3M Cantata like product on Ebay. The Message Repeater.
Maybe you saw it. It sold for $50 https://www.ebay.com/itm/302629330894

I just looked it up. Cannot really tell what it does but 3M must have been such an innovative company back then! Most people (including business schools) give the example of their Sticky Notes but these are even more impressive. Or this:

https://youtu.be/aAVxtw7Y4PQ

I found 20 of the tapes (hopefully the machine too one day!). On a lark, I transfered one of the tapes to an empty cassette shell. They do not fit 100%, maybe 3/4s. But because the tape is 1/8” and runs at 1-7/8 ips, a cassette player plays one of its two channels perfectly. If there were enough good stuff available, I would make a special cassette player with a full width, 2-channel playback head.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 9:02 am 

I believe the 3M Message repeater was used to interject advertising messages over Muzak in department stores, or elsewhere. Remember "Attention K-Mart Shoppers!".

The 3M Revere M-2 cartridge music system. I have it in my eBay saved searches. They pop up from time to time. The last one was in a carrying case which looked kind of scuffed up. The unit though looked to be in mint condition. Not a scratch on it. It was priced at $150.00 and I didn't have the extra cash laying around. I cannot remember now if it was an auction or buy it now, but it was pulled and disappeared from ebay's records.

Funny thing about 3M and Revere. I remember reading that while 3M owned Revere Camera Company later on, both product lines were manufactured at the 3M factory under both names. Oddly they were competing against each other.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 3:01 pm 

Right now on my “restoration desk” I have 1) Two RCA SCP-2 and 2) One SCP-3 cartridge recorders 3) a 3M Cantata player 4) a Telex 8-Track changer and, of course, I am looking at the Revere M-2.

These are all amazing machines, marvels of mechanical logic. But they are also dinosaurs. They all work on brute force, with giant synchronous motors and 1940s style idlers. Comparing that to a near contemporaneous Philips cassette player, the contrast could not be starker. Interestingly, the Philips is also infinitely easier to fix, should there be one that does not already work. Its lightweight construction required no heavy grease that turned to glue with time and it is simply easier to handle. Whereas the RCA uses fabric slip belts, impossible to change without complete disassembly (IF you can find a replacement), the Philips has a felt slip ring for the take-up reel.

I have a 1963 Pontiac LeMans. It is an oddity in that, in a Detroit dead set on manufacturing live axle, prewar style cars, it has a transaxle, an incline 4-cylinder and a flexible drive shaft. It only lasted two years before GM went back to a live axle on that model too. Signs of hard times to come for the US industry were on every wall.