Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 14, 2018 11:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Perfect Speaker
PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 3:09 pm 

ke4mcl wrote:
my radio interest turned into an audio interest and i've been active in both hobbies since i was a kid. i've owned my lions share of quality speakers and have to say i have reached my happy place.

Altec A5 voice of the theaters with the 515 woofers and big horns up top. they are not the most accurate, they arent small, and they arent light. they are the most fun to listen to speakers i have ever heard. jazz sounds like a band hanging out in my mancave, rock sounds like you're at the concert. you just want to listen to more music on these and thats what matters, enjoyment.

they are also VERY efficient. a 6v6 SE amp is actually useful and enough for most of my listening. a crown 30wpc amp and your rockin.

Agreed some speakers might not be the absolute best, but can give you the absolute best listening experience. The reverse is true as well.

Like my pair of small Automatic Radio speakers I use at work. I'm pretty sure they aren't the best, but I've never heard blues and guitar sound so good through a pair of speakers as they do through that pair of speakers.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 4:07 pm 

i had the chance to listen to a $100k stereo setup at a boutique here in miami a few years back. while i was impressed by its price sticker, i went home envying nothing. there's nothing i'd want to replace my altecs with.

there's plenty of interaction to contend with and that's even before peoples opinions get mixed in. room acoustics, your hearing, and how well different pieces of gear play with each other all affect the final outcome. at the end of the day, your sound system needs to make YOU happy.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 4:32 pm 

Agreed.

All my stereos are made to sound good to me and me only. If someone else happens to think it sounds good then that's just icing on the cake.

No need to spend $100K on any stereo.

After a certain point the cost to benefit ratio isn't worth it. Then again most of the ultra expensive stuff is aimed at audiophools who will gladly plunk down much $$$ if it claims to offer even the tiniest bit of improvement.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 5:13 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
... No need to spend $100K on any stereo... Then again most of the ultra expensive stuff is aimed at audiophools who will gladly plunk down much $$$ if it claims to offer even the tiniest bit of improvement.
+1
My best stereo system cost well below $1,000, but I'll admit it does have several used components and home-brew tube gear in it.
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 5:53 pm 

One of my best stereos which I use at work has way less than $1K in it maybe around $300. The speakers are semi DIY in that the only original parts are the cabinet, woofers and wofer choke.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 1:49 am 

I like the 1970's Martin Gamma 310 floor speakers. All the tech stuff means nothing, there's too many variables.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 12:14 am 

Tannoy Super Red Monitor

If you can find and afford them, buy them!

GL,

Terry

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 6:31 pm 

Sorry for having seemingly abandoned this thread. Truth is I have a lot going on in my shop and have been trying to keep up, but I have been reading additional comments with much interest.

One thing I wanted from this thread was suggestions of vintage speakers. Am glad to see quite a few suggestions.

Another thing I wanted to see was some empirical investigations of vintage speakers. What worked with them? What didn't work with them? Do they really support their reputations? This has proven much harder. To my surprise, there is actually very little modern test information on vintage drivers and speakers that I can find. While I know that speaker quantification isn't much of a priority here at ARF, we do have the 'Vintage Audio Forum', and speakers certainly are an important part of any vintage audio system, so I don't think it's out of place either.

In that, I have not been idle. Altec speakers have been mentioned several times, such as the Altec Laguna and Seeburg DDS-1. One thing those both have in common is the Altec 511B horn. Curious, I procured a 511B horn for myself and hooked it into my test speaker system. I was quite surprised at the clarity, even without the proper driver and crossover. I have ordered an appropriate driver and a couple 15" 16 ohm woofers with the intention of assembling my own modern version of the Laguna. Will keep you updated on that.

Another vintage speaker of note is the Bozak Concert Grand. Considered an 'ultimate' speaker in it's day, I was fortunate to find that someone had indeed given it a battery of tests.

https://www.stereophile.com/historical/1005bozak/index.html

I hope some others here find the results as interesting as I have.