Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 23, 2018 7:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My Next Magnavox
PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 7:29 pm 

Thanks, I already have the documentation for that unit, I had downloaded it from another forum.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 4:52 am 

well, after a couple of months work, it is up and running. The turntable will need some work of it's own so I am using my digital record collection. It sounds great!

Attachments:
P1010167.JPG
P1010167.JPG [ 88.36 KiB | Viewed 317 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 2:30 am 

It looks great too!

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 3:14 pm 

After running it for a while I have found the FM section of the receiver went quite a bit off frequency. A favorite station at 90.1 Mhz came in above 108 Mhz at the top end of the dial. I attempted an alignment as specified on the photofact and it had little effect. I had purchased another receiver a few weeks ago and I thought I would try it. It was a 1961 unit, with layout differences and it had a inverted dial glass and indicator meter from the original, so I exchanged the dial glass from the original and pulled and turned the meter. It took a few trys to get full contact with the molex power trunking cables and it finally came around and plays nicely. The FM is still off frequency, but not an badly as the other receiver, which was missing 1/3 of it's bandspread. I put some orange oil polish on the console and it looks like a good piece of furniture now.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 25, 2018 9:28 pm 

I am going to go through the original receiver and check for out of tolerance and heat sensitive parts. The installed receiver doesn't center very well with the balance adjustment.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 28, 2018 7:11 pm 

I have gone over the areas of the receiver that I can access with the exception if the module that contains the critical portions of the FM tuner. I have aligned it as best I can but the audio it provides has a hiss that I can not get rid of. I'm not sure if it is just the weakness of the signal to my location. I have gotten a better amplified FM antenna and It has not gotten rid of the hiss. A couple of years ago, I got a PLL FM stereo/AM tuner to fill in for my CR-192 receiver for my Hepplewhite console. I've put it on this console through the AUX connectors and it sounds great and receives a few more stations than the console's receiver. It certainly puts the console's amp through it's paces. Has anyone else gotten into the FM tuner/detector portion of these receivers? It's a 7909-10, and is similar to a few other receivers.