Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sat 17, 2018 8:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philips CDR-560 recorder mod
PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 10:51 pm 

I've got a Philips CDR-560 recorder, one that uses "CD-R Music" discs. That's because there was a tariff on the discs to compensate musicians, back when digital musical theft was feared. I use it for off-the-air recording so it's not digital copying, the purpose of the restriction. Now the discs are getting hard to find. The ones I buy locally have a very high failure rate (machine won't read them). It would be nice to use regular CD-R discs. I recall that there were some quick fixes to allow that. Back in the day I didn't mind paying the extra charge if it went to artists. Now that's way in the past and music is all online. Does anybody know the secret fix, the circuit board traces to cut?

Chris Campbell

Post subject: Re: Philips CDR-560 recorder mod
PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 2:09 am 

Let me in on it too. Maybe CDr is gonna get worse over time, music or not. I assume it is getting to be obsolescent tech with DVDs and other media that is smaller being popular. Maybe the Mainlanders will take over the production of these before they vanish completely. And I expect them to be about as good as their capacitors. BTW I looked at TDK and other music CDs on ebay. Yes, some are pretty dang steep or just out of the question expensive. I guess all we can do is find a bulk sale and bite the bullet, if they are reliable brands. I have heard the Matsui made discs are or were best, but they sold as other brands, and who knows which anymore? Having never owned a music burner till now, I had no idea that they needed "music" discs, that was never an issue burning CD with my computer. Unhappy surprise. I will keep my eyes peeled, as I would hope some music CDs of good quality will show up for sale besides ebay at better prices. Not the mystery brands I hope.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 2:06 am 

Looks like it requires a MODCHIP. Here's a link to a youtube vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euPqzBBRldg
That page has a link to this Italian web page
http://www.modchip.it/shop/detail.asp?lng=IT&sku=31
Maybe you can find one more locally.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 6:37 am 

Long ago I had heard or read rumors that there was an easier fix. It really was something like a couple circuit board trace cuts.

But I have found online sources for Sony CD-R Music discs and ordered a bunch. A local chain drugstore used to carry Maxell, and they worked reliably in the machine until recently, when their failure rate shot up dramatically. Then they carried Sony, which never failed to load. Then they didn't carry them. I bought some Maxells on a spindle; all but 2 failed. I tried some off-brand on a spindle from Best Buy. All failed. The online sources seem to carry Sony, a good sign for availability. That's what I just bought. It's nice to buy locally to encourage them, but when they aren't available locally I don't mind buying online.

Sweetwater carries CD recorders, I see, and it might be worth my time to buy one if they are "professional" models without the CD-R Music requirement.

Chris Campbell

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 7:11 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
All you gotta do is glue a knob on the front of the tray.

Load ONE CDR-Music in - let it read and detect it as a CDR-Music- then pull the tray out manually - remove the CDR-Music disc - place a normal blank in - push the tray back in manually and go on about your business.

Meaning all you need is one CDR-Music for it to read and however many normal blank CDRs you want to record on.