Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Mon 21, 2018 11:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Vintage Lafayette Tube Amp Identification
PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 1:45 pm 

Hello,
New to this stuff but I have the opportunity to pick this up but don't know anything about it. I can't find any info and it is hard to read the model name. Can someone give me some info on what this is and is it worth a restoration? I am assuming it is. Also, no value has been talked about with the seller. I don't know what a fair offer would be. Thanks in advance, Wayne

Attachments:
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg [ 110.98 KiB | Viewed 804 times ]
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg [ 98.38 KiB | Viewed 804 times ]

Post subject: Re: Vintage Lafayette Tube Amp Identification
PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 12:47 am 

This is a very old Lafayette amp and is featured in their catalog Nr.78 (season 1939-1940). The model is 418 , rated for 15-18 watts, and features a special "Volume Expander" circuit, it was a P.A amp intended for phono use only. Tube complement should be: (1)6L7 , (2)6C8G, (2)6L6G, (1)5V4G. It was priced at $ 18.30 (1940's $), less tubes and cover.
The one pictured looks in fair/poor condition but should be restorable. Not many of these still around and worth to be preserved/restored as a collector's piece. Untested/unrestored resale value should be rather low, I guess in the 40-60$ range.

Last edited by Tubologic on Feb Sat 10, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 12:52 am 

https://www.terapeak.com/worth/vintage- ... 631644759/

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 2:27 am 

Thank you for the responses. Would I be able to use this in my home system at all? I have a Pioneer sx-650 and a Technics 1100a TT. I am looking to add to the sound.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 2:27 am 

Is there an output tranny on it?

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 2:57 am 

Tbirdkid wrote:
Is there an output tranny on it?

Not sure. I haven't seen it in person yet. I was sent pictures of this to see if I was interested. He also has a Pioneer SA-9100 amp which I would definitely like to pair with my receiver but this one peeked my interest as well.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 3:21 am 

The first picture shows a 6SC7, which doesn't match Tubologic's list.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 3:50 am 

Tim Tress wrote:
The first picture shows a 6SC7, which doesn't match Tubologic's list.

The information is right out from the Lafayette catalog but there were two versions of this amp, with or without the expander circuit, and the tube complement might be different. (or the amp has been modded) Also, as there is no room for a second transformer on the top chassis I guess the OPT is located inside the chassis. Unfortunately the Lafayette 418 is not listed in the SAMS Photofact Index, thus there's no way to check.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 4:00 am 

RandallJR wrote:
Thank you for the responses. Would I be able to use this in my home system at all? I have a Pioneer sx-650 and a Technics 1100a TT. I am looking to add to the sound.

This is an antique P.A mono amp and I can't see how and why you could match it with a modern stereo receiver (SX-650) ? Also, it's not sure the Lafayette has enough gain to accomodate modern low level magnetic cartridges.
It could be used as a basis for a vintage mono set-up (you'll need a speaker and old record player), or maybe converted to be used as a guitar amp.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 4:02 am 

Compared to the Pioneer receiver you already have, this amplifier is probably not going to sound very good. It's not exactly high fidelity.

-David

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 4:52 am 

Thank you guys. What am I thinking... :lol: . I may just see if I can pick it up at a cheap price along with the Pioneer SA-9001 amp. That should sound good. :lol:

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 5:43 am 

RandallJR wrote:
Thank you guys. What am I thinking... :lol: . I may just see if I can pick it up at a cheap price along with the Pioneer SA-9001 amp. That should sound good. :lol:

Yes, try to get some good "package deal" and decide later what to do with the Lafayette.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 1:44 am 

Attached is the schematic for 418-T by Radio Wire Television (the company that used the brand name Lafayette), from the Riders PA manual. Appears a bit different, one less tube, 5Y3 rectifier, and without volume expansion. The 6SC7 could have replaced one 6C8, as it's a similar tube.

Attachments:
rwt_418-t.jpg
rwt_418-t.jpg [ 76.43 KiB | Viewed 699 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 4:36 pm 

Hi guys,
I am going to be getting this with a package deal.... :D . I think it is really cool. I would like to restore it but don't know where to start. What are some steps I should take to get this thing started? I would like to do some of the work but maybe not all to get it restored but you never know. I can do anything if I put my mind to it... :idea:. I would like to set up a separate mono-setup as tubologic mentioned. Thanks for all your help and I am sure I will have many questions.

Wayne

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 11:59 pm 

First start with a good cleaning job to remove all the dust dirt and grime. Then install a new AC power cord and primary fuse (2A S.B) if there isn't already one inside the chassis. Remove the (5V4) rectifier tube and power up the amp: all the other tubes heaters should light up confirming that the power transformer is good. (of course you won't see the heater glow in the 6SC7 because it's an all metal tube) If the amp has passed this preliminary test successfully you can now start the real restoration process which consists mainly in replacing ALL the old paper coupling caps and filter electrolytics, DO NOT power up the amp with the rectifier in place before all the caps have been replaced. Before you start replacing any parts it is also recommended to check the continuity of the output transformer primary side (between the 6L6G output tubes plates connections) because an open primary can't be fixed and finding a compatible replacement OPT can be both challenging and expensive.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 20, 2018 7:36 pm 

Thanks. I'll keep you posted on my progress.