Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 16, 2018 6:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help My Fisher X-100 has the wrong faceplate!
PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 10:41 pm 

Hey guys I picked up this Fisher x100 integrated and was super excited. I thought something on it might be bent. Turns out it has the wrong version x-100 faceplate. It originally had a gold faceplate and someone put a silver one on it which makes it so the knobs can't be moved up or down. I'm hoping I can find a Fisher collector or restorer that has an extra gold faceplate. If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction of someone who can please let me know.

Attachments:
20180209_182648_50_min800x800.jpg
20180209_182648_50_min800x800.jpg [ 47.26 KiB | Viewed 1506 times ]
20180209_182637_50_min800x800.jpg
20180209_182637_50_min800x800.jpg [ 49.79 KiB | Viewed 1506 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help My Fisher X-100 has the wrong faceplate!
PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 11:40 pm 

Welcome to the forum! The knobs don't move up or down but the slide switches do. The gold faceplate that you show looks correct with enough space for the slide switches to move. Is that the one that came with the unit? Perhaps you can elaborate.

I recently restored an X-100-B which sounds magnificent.

Dave

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 12:18 am 

The correct faceplate is gold. It had the silver one put on it and the sliders don't go up and down because the faceplate is different. I need the gold faceplate.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 12:26 am 

Maybe the faceplate cutouts have slightly tighter tolerances and could be enlarged (filed) ?

This is how the original X-100 faceplate should look:

Attachments:
FisherX100.jpg
FisherX100.jpg [ 61.49 KiB | Viewed 1498 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 2:01 pm 

The picture of the first faceplate looks gold on my computer. Now I see the difference. Sorry for the confusion.

Dave

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 9:04 pm 

Looks like Fisher X-100 life cycle may have had two different colored front panels:

PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 1:00 pm 

Still both faceplates cutouts looks exactly the same and I can't see why the later version doesn't work on your amp as the X-100 amp chassis is identical.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 4:45 pm 

Hi Moediggz and welcome to the forum!
I also own an X-100 and mine has the silver face plate and brass knob brights, exactly like the one in the upper photo posted by manualman. Mine is in its original walnut wood enclosure, and is definitely all original.

I am not sure which of the silver and gold faceplates were the earlier and which were the later versions. Or maybe they were both available throughout the production run? If others are interested, perhaps we could compare our respective serial numbers and maybe figure this out?

In any case, I would think these faceplates should be interchangeable as the chassis remained the same. Unless, that is, Fisher used slightly different slide switches at some point during production? This seems unlikely since the switch part numbers remained the same, but I suppose it is possible and if so a factory production-change bulletin may have been issued to reflect this?

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 7:28 pm 

How about filing the sides of the slide switches a bit?
I would think that if you are carefull you could create enough clearance on the sides of the switches to have them move smoothly in the slots in the faceplate.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 9:34 pm 

Poston Drake wrote:
I am not sure which of the silver and gold faceplates were the earlier and which were the later versions.

The brass (not gold) faceplates with "Stereophonic" on the right in fancy script are the earlier models. In late 1961 (1962 models) Fisher switched from brass faceplates to aluminum (not silver), and the fancy "Stereophonic" script had disappeared from their products by then.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 10:30 pm 

As far as I know those faceplates are dimensionally the same and are interchangeable. If there's problems with the slide switches it's not the face plate causing it. I suspect the slide switches may have been replaced at one time. If they are too wide file the knob on each side a bit to make them narrower.

Larry

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 4:11 am 

I agree with recent posts to this thread. I suspect that one or more of those slide switches have been replaced. Certainly not an unusual situation, as the original Fisher slide switches have a history of failure. In my experience they can usually be restored via a high-quality contact cleaner, or in severe cases by opening them up and polishing their internal contacts. In the very few cases where I had to replace one of them, I fortunately had some in stock which were exactly the same size as the originals.

As previously mentioned, if this is the case I would deal with it by carefully filing down the sides of the slide switches to reduce their width. Or if easier, replace them with properly-sized versions. I would most definitely not file out the openings on the panel, as it seems to be conclusive that dimensions of these panels remained consistent throughout the production of the Fisher X-100.

And while on the subject of switch failures, the same also applies to the ON/OFF power switch which is ganged to the Master Volume pot, which is notorious for failure in the X-100. And as many of us know, replacements for this switch/pot are hard to find, and expensive when you do find them.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 5:19 am 

All Fishers with off-on switches ganged with volume controls, whether it be amplifiers or receivers, are prone to having a bad off-on switch. If it isn't bad now, it probably will be in the near future.

I have a TA-600 and a 400 with good off-on-volume controls (so far). I can't help but wonder how much longer they will hold out, though.

I've seen this happen with the earlier generations of Fisher solid state equipment, also.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 7:56 am 

Ron Ramirez wrote:
All Fishers with off-on switches ganged with volume controls, whether it be amplifiers or receivers, are prone to having a bad off-on switch. If it isn't bad now, it probably will be in the near future.

+1 to Ron's comment above. Best policy for owners of Fisher gear with these switches is not to use them to power the amp on/off, but rather to use a plug strip or some other remote means of switching. If you DO choose to use the original ON/OFF switch, it is best to protect it by installing a CL-series thermistor to minimize voltage surge which will eventually destroy its contacts. Instructions for doing so can be found by searching the ARF or one of the several audio forums/websites.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 3:58 pm 

Or power it on and off via a switched bucking transformer.

Larry