Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 21, 2018 1:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Vintage Sony TC-252D Reel to Reel player running too fast
PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 1:14 am 

Hello new here.

I have a vintage sony reel to reel model TC-252D. this was a mint in the box find. This is the universal voltage one with the voltage selector switch and the 50/60hz switch. Currently It plays too fast in both speeds(3 3/4 and 7 1/2 IPS). I Have the voltage selector set to 117 as that what we use here in the USA (110/120) I even tried toggling the 50/60hz switch but it didn't help. I tried spraying the speed selector switch with contact cleaner as well as the play rewind fast forward switch. Nothing helps. I know sometimes then come with a 50Hz motor pulley but all it says is E and has a 1. It also has no sound out the right channel. I sprayed the record play switches on the amp board but it did not help. If I can at least get the speed under control I'll have a local shop deal with the audio issue(most likely needs to be recapped). Again this was a mint in the box find. Still sealed with original packaging. Motor run Capacitor checks out OK as I did meter it. I would post pictures but the website says there too big and when I try to link to photobucket it says my post is too spammy.

Post subject: Re: Vintage Sony TC-252D Reel to Reel player running too fas
PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 1:47 pm 

See if the capstan has a sleeve over it. Some recorders have a tubular sleeve that makes the diameter larger for the 50 HZ. It may have a knurled knob on the top to remove it.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 11:42 pm 

It would help some to post a picture of your deck. the few Sony's I have messed with are real critical about drive wheel tension against the capstan

KK4ROV

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 1:46 am 

I agree with Don. Your 252D uses a sleeve on the capstan for 50Hz. If that is not the problem then it could be the motor pulley. Seven different pulleys were available marked -2 to 2 to compensate for motor speed variations. Your pulley has a 1 on it which means the player would run faster than the normal pulley with 0 on it.
Believe me, yours would not be the first Sony of that era I've seen that had the wrong pulley right out of the box.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 15, 2018 3:16 am 

OK found it does have a capstan sleeve. I removed that and now it runs a bit slow. I did meter the run capacitor and it did check out ok. I found the owners and service manuals online but they are not for the universal voltage model. Since I'm new I can't post links so Delete the spaces to see the images.

https: //s26.postimg. org/97lql1cjt/IMAG0046. jpg

https: //s26.postimg. org/jufjqg59l/IMAG0047. jpg

PostPosted: Feb Thu 15, 2018 1:38 pm 

My advice is to replace the motor run capacitor.

But first let the motor run for a bit and see if the cap gets warm at all. If so definitely replace.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 4:09 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
My advice is to replace the motor run capacitor.

But first let the motor run for a bit and see if the cap gets warm at all. If so definitely replace.

Good advice and I concur. I have replaced several of those motor run capacitors on Sony tapecorders. They often heat up and explode making a mess inside of the machine. It is important to match exactly (not higher, not lower) the capacity (Ч) of the original capacitor. A bad capacitor will also make the motor get very warm as well.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 4:21 am 

Don't be surprised to see two motor run capacitors on the switchable 50/60 Hz models.

-David

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 3:21 pm 

dberman51 wrote:
Don't be surprised to see two motor run capacitors on the switchable 50/60 Hz models.

-David

Thanks David for remembering and mentioning that. That is true, International models may well a two a two section electrolytic capacitor.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 6:08 pm 

OK so I ended up taking it in for repair. The sound issue was the pots and record switches were gummed up even though I did spray them with contact cleaner. So they cleaned those and that fixed the sound but it was still running a tad slow. Took it back to the shop and this time they did say the 3 3/4 speed was slow while the 7 1/2 was spot on. They did say the heads were worn but still usable. They really couldn't do much for the speed unless I wanted a complete rebuild and at a cost of $550 they said it wouldn't be worth it. What is your opinion? Why would one speed work but not the other. I did put 2 turn wraps of electrical tape on the 3 3/4 part of the motor pulley and while not perfect it was close even though it did create vibrations and you can still here wow and flutter. Would a worn capstan idler wheel cause it to work in one speed and not the other?

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 10:51 pm 

The idler wheel if the rubber is the least bit hard can cause that very issue.

Had a Sony TC-630 that wouldn't run that well in 1 7/8 speed and it wound up being the capstan idler wheel.

The best reel to reel decks to have are the three motor ones especially the ones where the motor drives the capstan directly with no belt or idler as usually the only belt in those is for the counter.