Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 20, 2018 7:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith IS4040 compact stereo
PostPosted: Feb Thu 22, 2018 11:51 pm 

Looking for schematic for Zenith IS440 compact stereo. Has motorboating in 8-track tape deck.
I realize it is probably a filter cap, but I'm not sure of the circuitry.

Post subject: Re: Zenith IS4040 compact stereo
PostPosted: Feb Fri 23, 2018 5:48 pm 

If the 8 track is a player/recorder (not just a player) I'd bet the record/playback switch needs a shot of Deoxit.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 12:56 pm 

SteveT, you were right on. I didn't have any 8-track tapes so I hadn't tried to use the player/recorder. I bumped the record switch while I was looking for the source of the motorboating with my scope and the motorboating stopped. I sure thought it was a power supply filter cap..

Thank you for the input. I don't remember every seeing this before and I'm quite old with lots of past experience.

Starting in 1959, I was in radio, stereo, TV and CB repair full time for 20 years, then part time for another 20. I could never make decent money, so I switched to industrial electronics and controls full time and teaching tech school part time for 25 years.
I retired in 2009, completely burned out with electricity, electronic and computer stuff. I put it all aside..

I recently inherited some vintage radios and stereos which I decided to repair/restore as a wintertime project. So I set up my vintage test equipment and got started... I am amazed at how much I have forgotten over the years. I also forgot how much I enjoyed fixing stuff.
Having fun though..
Thanks again for your advice.
"Oldstick"

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 5:16 pm 

Amazingly our work history is very similar! I started in 1968, got burned out a few years ago. Retired now and working part time on vintage stuff! I refuse these new fangled receivers that have a zillion jacks on the back with HDMI, USB, etc! Don't need it, won't work on it! Take care.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 6:06 pm 

Actually, I posted a for sale add for the stereo on FaceBook and I am amazed how many folks are still interested in 8-track.
One person told me that they have thousands of 8-tracks. I told the they would need to learn how to splice them when the come apart at the track change sensor tape/splice.

Sadly, my favorite o'scope quit working and I had to shoot it. HA!
I have another '67 vintage recurring sweep o'scope which I built a transistor sweep junction tester into. I used it solely transistor testing so it's a good thing that it still works. I am getting by with it for now, looking for a newer one for general testing on the used market.
I'm sure I'll get bored with this stuff again as soon a golf season starts up, but perhaps do a little on rainy days.
Thanks again

P.S. I'm new to this site and I got scolded first thing for inquiring about a vintage part in the discussion topics. I knew I wasn't supposed to advertise anything for sale but I thought inquires of any kind would be okay in the discussion forums.
I guess I'm supposed to look for vintage parts in the classified section. So I'll be hanging around unless I get kicked off of the site for making a mistake.
Who Knew?