Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 17, 2018 8:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heathkit AS-10 Speaker
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 12:34 pm 

Hi all
Does anybody know what the speaker impeadence is of he above speaker?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Heathkit AS-10 Speaker
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 3:27 pm 

Can you measure the DC resistance..that would give a ballpark figure...If not, I saw a post on a forum where someone said they were 16 ohm.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 3:54 pm 

I have a 16 ohm 7. Watt resistor I my crossover circuit is that what makes it or is it the impeadence of the coil in the crossover? Or do you measure at he driver terminals.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 1:45 am 

You can simply read the speaker input terminals on the cabinet (if it's in a cabinet and all wired with a crossover, etc) using a multimeter. A simple DMM is fine.

Using your Ohms setting, connect to the speaker terminals on the back of the cabinet, note the reading and subtract about 15%. So if your speaker system is 8 ohms, your meter will read about 6-7 ohms DC resistance. A 16 ohm speaker system will read 13-14 ohms, etc.

This is of course as it's presented to an amp with the crossover and other speakers in circuit and may not reflect the driver resistance for each speaker in your cabinet. If you need to know this, you would need to disconnect each speaker and test.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 12:05 pm 

I came to the correct forum this is great info. Should I disconnect the wires from the back of the cabinet before testing the DC resistance? The whole reason I am asking this is because I have a Harmon kardon pm-640 that wants to see 8 ohms but I have two pioneer cs-g203 that are 6 ohms hooked up to one set of speaker outs and 15 foot away I have one Heathkit as-10 that might be 16 ohms. The volume is at half on the as-10 how can I bring the impeadence down to 6 ohms on the as-10?
Thanks so much should I build an impeadence matching circuit ?

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 3:21 pm 

Yes, you'll want to disconnect the amplifier from the speaker to test.

If you are experiencing a significant difference in volume between a nominal 6 ohm speaker and your AS-10, the AS-10 is probably 16 ohm. Probably not much you can do here without a complete re-design of the AS-10. Unless your goal is to balance the volume of your 4 speakers, there really isn't an issue here.

Beyond that, it becomes a small science to understand power consumption at 4, 8 and 16 ohms and the decibel differences, sensitivity/efficiency, etc. In short, your (presumably) 16 ohm speakers may be somewhere around 3-4? decibels quieter than an 8 ohm speaker system at the same point on the volume knob. 16 ohm speakers were popular with tube amps requiring an output transformer (high voltage, low current output), vs solid state amps that can deliver high current via lower voltages and subsequently drive lower impedances - ie, 4 and 8 ohm. All of this is way over-simplifying things as there are many other factors here including speaker system sensitivity, amp type and capabilities, etc. And take this all as conversational input from me - a non-expert, where others may have clarifying points.

So - enjoy them as they are! You'll have to crank up the volume knob a little, but give them a critical listen and see what you think.