Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Fri 22, 2018 12:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bogen
PostPosted: Jun Mon 02, 2008 8:36 pm 

Seems like they made good gear in the Tube days. However, are absent in terms of history (Information) on their products.

Any Bogen Tube users out there having difficulty finding information on their vintage Bogen Equipment?

Maybe we can all share data, user experience and, so forth on this forgotten Amplifier Company.

BTW, I'm new here so, hello to one and all. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Mon 02, 2008 8:43 pm 

If my memory hasn't slipped a gear yet I think it was called the David Bogen company. I know they did lots of industrial stuff, like music systems and pageing but don't remember if they did much in the consumer home products

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Mon 02, 2008 8:49 pm 

Thanks for your reply.

David Bogen is who I'm refering to.

The company seemed more popular on the PA market however, they did make some Home Audio stuff as well.

I'm basically trying to find a bunch of Bogen users so we can exchange experience among David's Tube products.

The history is pretty much non-existant as far as his Tube equipment goes yet, the ones I've found, purchased or, had the pleasure of being handed down to always works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Mon 02, 2008 8:59 pm 

I moved this topic from Radio Discussions to the Vintage Audio section since it seems more appropriate here.

I see David Bogen home audio products show up on ebay quite often. Service information on these are often listed in the Sams Photofact index. I have an early '50's Bogen AM/FM tuner that seems well-designed and works great.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Mon 02, 2008 9:34 pm 

My apologies.

I couldn’t figure out where to post my topic. I found this forum this morning after trying to find out a particular tube design.

I would imagine Bogen is not as pretty and offered less friendly connections why it never became popular compared to the likes of Dynaco.

I currently own a Bogen RR501 and a RB115. Both are Mono Receivers. I also have the CHB 100 which is Public Address amplifier. I also have a few transistorized gear by Bogen, however their tube gear seems more of a mystery.

Does anyone know if serial numbers can signify when an amplifier is manufactured?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Tue 03, 2008 12:23 am 

I think some manufacturers coded the date into serial numbers, but who would know now? You'll have better luck looking for date codes on pots, capacitors, and tubes (if original). Or look them up in the Sams index... RR501B is in 339-3 (1956) and RR501C (schematic only) is in 418-Servicer (1958). RB115 is in 428-6 (1959). CHB-100 isn't listed, (no CHB models at all...) but the CHA models are listed in '58-59.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Wed 04, 2008 4:34 am 

Thank you for sharing the production dates of the receivers I own.

Best Regards,

Elliot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Wed 04, 2008 5:37 pm 

I have a Bogen HA-10 PA single ended 6L6GC amp that I converted to play guitar through. Very well built. My favorite practice amp. I believe that I found the schematic from the guys in the Electrical/Mechanical forum some time ago before this Vintage Audio section was added. They did find it in Sams... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sun 15, 2008 6:12 am 

Some Bogen stuff is listed in the Sams Photofact index. I think they have it under David Bogen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sun 15, 2008 8:25 pm 

Bogen merged with Presto recording corp, or however Presto's proper nema was. Presto was located in Paramus, NJ. They made some excellent recording equipment, both in portable, and big stationary installations. You'll find them listed under Bogen-Presto.

Bogen did have a good hi-fi line, but didn't have the expensive appearance that other brands had, so they were not a major player in their field. They did make a lot of institutional record players, like Newcomb, and they were very good. Bogen was a big user of transcription players made by Lenco. Those tables featured a continuously variable turntable speed.

They published service booklets for their products, and it appears that Sams didn't pick up on them very well. I had a CHB 100 amplifier that I used for an annual installation for several years, and it was totally trouble-free. I even used it with a Bogen 100 watt slave amplifier that used P-P parallel tubes (forgot types). It was all tops equipment.

There's even a central sound system laying around here, built for school or industrial use. It has a jillion switches for remote speakers, and about a 30 watt amplifier in it. They were big on stuff like that.

You didn't pay the Altec price for the Bogen stuff, but you did get the quality and durability. You might look into eBay, for audio amplifiers, or industrial audio. There's always a lot of service data advertised there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Mon 16, 2008 6:49 am 

When I was a kid I bought a DB-2 hi fi amp for $4 at a rummage sale in town. I used it for many years, and probably unloaded it about 15 years ago now.

In my view, it was beautifully built, with nicely painted chassis and panel. Only thing that was a tad cheap was the sheet metal enclosure. The panel was really quite nice with its textured brown finish, colorfull Bogen logo, and fine white lettering.

It had a dual 6L6 output, so lots of power for its day (mid 1950s?). It had a very nice loudness compensation control with multiple settings, inputs for tape, tuner, and magnetic phono; and tape recording outputs. Probably had six or seven phonograph equalization settings. The way it was built, I assumed it was a rather high end unit for its day, probably pretty expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Mon 16, 2008 3:14 pm 

Just a bit of history - Bogen is alive and well and a factor in commercial sound. Their new salesmanager in the late '40's was a gentleman by the name of Sidney Harman who left Bogen to form Harman-Kardon and build an audio empire that is a world wide factor yet today. Sidney just recently retired. We have all been touched in some way by this man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Mon 16, 2008 7:24 pm 

Wasn't Bogen at one time part of Lear Siegler Inc. The CHS35 amp the church I go to uses in their fellowship hall has LSI on it along with that companie's name on the back. Their stuff is built like a tank and runs like the Energizer bunny :mrgreen: . AFAIK that amp has all original parts and is still going strong to this day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Tue 17, 2008 5:15 am 

Yup, Bogen was a part of Lear.

One of my local churches also has an old Bogen tube amp (with 7868 outputs) still going strong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Tue 17, 2008 8:06 am 

That amp my church has was used as the main system along with a couple of Bogen model CAM mic preamps and a couple of Argos column speakers for a good 20 years or so before they replaced it with the current system. We still use the original Shure microphones (virtually indestructible)which by now have to be at least 30 years old. I misidentified the model number. It is a CHS-35A.

Post subject: Re: Bogen
PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 1:10 am 

I use a Bogen DB130 mono amp and just got a R660 tuner to go with it. Amp works great...hugely loud with my JBL C36 speaker. Found Sam's schematics online for both. Not sure what the twin RCA outputs are...one each mono for am and fm? I never see owners manuals

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 4:46 am 

Here is an excellent Bogen amplifier schematics and manuals website which I have contributed manuals to:

http://makearadio.com/schematics/index.php

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 5:01 am 

The Bogen CHB35/50/100 aren't so desirable as is for guitar use. I have both a 35 and 100 I'm planning soon on
re-circuiting to a design from Paul P amps and Paul Ruby amps, adding a 2 knob tone control I found that 'tweeks'
the tone from a flat line to curved how you want, distortion of course, but that is what a lot of guitarists seem to want,
or switch it for that as a function. Found some other mods considering substituting in or adding. Looking at high end
amps that people ARE buying, seems they have many knobs and tone features, so adding 1 or 2 should be cool.
I'll share some schematics I've gathered, I've not added my mods into yet, they are sep docs.

One good link: http://ppamps.blogspot.com/2013/01/boge ... rsion.html

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 7:55 am 

A number of years ago a former Bogen sales manager approached me at a hamfest with an offer to get all his collected Bogen manuals which turned out to be several large cartons full of tightly jammed folders of original manuals. I think in one carton, I counted at least 100 original catalogs from a variety of years. I cataloged and listed the contents of one carton (over 200 models) but haven't got to the remaining cartons. Maybe one of these years ... :roll:

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 2:20 am 

I have the Sams folders, but you should first try radiomuseum.org and (for schematics only) http://www.pacifictv.ca/wanted.htm (plus the makearadio link listed earlier).

Prewar Bogen is here: http://theused.com/wp-content/uploads/r ... matic1.pdf and http://theused.com/wp-content/uploads/r ... matic2.pdf

<edit> Just noticed the original poster hasn't been here in 10 years. Oh well, we have a Bogen reference available if anyone is looking...