Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 4:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 20s records on shortwave, Fridays.
PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 3:26 pm 

Listening to WBCQ on 7,490 on Friday from 5 to 6 EST. Was testing SW on an old tube set and ran into this. The host is Sir Jack Scratchy and he plays stuff from the 20s and before. I guess you would have to patch SW or a recorder into an AM trans to get it out there for your 20s vintage radio but it would sound right at home for that hour. I found it entertaining. Search the host and you can get his facebook page about it.

Post subject: Re: 20s records on shortwave, Fridays.
PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 3:05 pm 

I enjoy listening to this as well as to Marion's Attic that was on Sunday evenings.
https://sites.google.com/site/donbrowne/marion

PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 2:03 am 

Oh, yea, well I have to check that one out too! Fri night I tuned in Sir Jack again, and the start was good but later in the show started to get some deep fades and about 45 min in, they just faded right out. Between Maine and Ohio. I did not make an effort to pull them out of the noise with a solid state modern rec. and the dipole, I was listening with the 37 Zenith and it's indoor wire. No thrill getting old music on a synthesized modern radio or such, for me. However I might lay down and listen on my little Grundig, which is synthesized and cost me 40$ at closeout, is all. Set it in memory!

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 12:02 am 

The broadcast schedule as well as WBCQ's history, etc. is listed http://www.wbcq.com

BR,

Terry

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 12:18 am 

Got in here messing with reading ARF and such and forgot my program till it was getting near the end. Oh well. I noticed some fading on the Zenith but cranked up the SPR 4 and the 40 meter dipole later after the music. The fading eventually stopped and they were 35 over S9 on the Drake. But I would not care much to listen to music on the Spur. Will stick with the glowing black dial Zenith! Hopefully as winter drags in, the sigs will get stronger earlier.