Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sun 25, 2018 2:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Radio Caroline
PostPosted: Oct Mon 30, 2017 3:30 pm 

Hi. I recently attended a celebration (September 9th) for a radio station known worldwide as Radio Caroline. Apparently an a.m license has been approved for this station to return to the medium wave (but from a location nearer inland). A commemorative stone was laid at Felixstowe, Suffolk (U.K) by some former d.js. Even "Emperor Rosko" made a visit. It was a really wonderful day out, hundreds of people turned up for the event. There was a nearby indoor exhibition of vintage radios (not for sale) and promotional items for sale.
It is hard to describe how difficult music radio in the U.K had been before the offshore era
tight rules on how much music you could listen to 1 hour per day (performing rights societies and the BBC)
four record companies controlling the way for issuing music recorded by smaller companies.
Anyone else remember this radio station?
Cheers
Mike

Post subject: Re: Radio Caroline
PostPosted: Nov Sat 04, 2017 1:45 pm 

Another thing to add on this subject. This form of broadcasting did actually change the BBC's attitude on broadcasting and eventually lead to commercial radio in the U.K. Also in New Zealand where it was discovered that the state broadcasting system failed young people in their request for a music radio station, so an offshore alternative was made and this received recognition from the authorities and then a license. Why the same thing could not have been arranged here is beyond belief.
I have been to a few licensed events for such occasions, and were very enjoyable. On Radio London's event in 1997, programme tapes, PAMS jingles and 1960's commercials were aired. London was an idea from the U.S
Cheers
Mike

PostPosted: Nov Sun 05, 2017 7:39 am 

mhorne63 wrote:
Anyone else remember this radio station?

I do.
Used to pick it up when I was stationed in West Germany, '66-'69. Good pop music, and they used to broadcast numbers for something (can't remember what they were for, though).

PostPosted: Nov Mon 06, 2017 5:26 pm 

Hi. Glad that someone else remembered that time. It seems like many light years ago. It all started apparently when a record producer failed to obtain promotion for a singer called Georgie Fame on both BBC Light Programme and Radio Luxembourg (the latter used to start at 7.30 p.m and the reception was marred by static). Four big record companies stopped unknown artistes from gaining promotion in those far off times.
There was actually many talented groups and singers before The Beatles, and many great instrumental groups as well as The Shadows. These often failed to gain any progress because of poor promotional efforts, and because there were no decent music stations. Sadly all these wonderful gems were forgotten about when The Beatles arrived. The tune "Telstar" by The Tornadoes was the first instrumental by a U.K band to reach No 1 in the U.S charts in 1962, but lost out as the band did not tour the U.S due to management problems.
I still blame the "Cold War" in the 1960's for the demise of the so called "pirates". My late father once worked on a top secret site on the Suffolk coast (U.K) run by a branch of the U.K Government between 1964 and 1967, and he tried to stop my brother and I from listening to those stations (very frightening, but
Those numbers that you mentioned at the time of listening were probably for head office communications.
Cheers
Mike

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 1:13 pm 

Hi. At long last Radio Caroline is on the A.M band again , this time 648 kHZ. The sound level varies due to atmospheric conditions. Wonder if it can be heard in the U.S.A?
The content is rock and pop music album tracks from 1960's to 1990's and sometimes more modern. Occasionally groups & artistes such as Jay Ferguson, Blue Oyster Cult, Heart get airplay, as well as those from Canada, Australia, Holland, and the U.K. A real interesting mix indeed!
Cheers
Mike

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 8:21 pm 

Interesting, although I doubt a MW signal would be available here, at least on the left coast. Do they have an internet stream?

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 2:04 pm 

Hi. They have a website giving out details of transmission , and I believe you can listen on their site.
Cheers
Mike

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 2:54 am 
Site Admin

This retro styled radio/Bluetooth speaker puts 10% in sales towards supporting Radio Caroline.

https://goo.gl/RkDWJi

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 1:40 pm 

Hi Alan. Yes I heard about that Bluetooth speaker, quite impressive.
It really is hard to believe that the station's fortune has changed. I am receiving fair/good signal on 648 Khz a.m up to 16.00 hrs GMT until the interference from other stations kicks in. I listen on a Bush tube radio from 1956 (VHF61)
Great to hear such variation in music that the BBC & Commercial stations do not feature.
Cheers
Mike