Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 12, 2018 8:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Radio theme songs
PostPosted: Nov Sun 07, 2010 4:03 am 

Listening to many of the shows, I find it interesting when certain theme songs get used on OTHER shows. My assumption is that many of these are classical pieces to begin with, used because they're often public domain and are free of royalties.

We ALL know that the theme for the Lone Ranger comes from the cavalry charge of the William Tell Overture. However I've noticed in the course of certain episodes, suddenly I hear what appears to be the theme music for the Shadow! I've also heard that Shodow theme during parts of Buck Rogers. I assume this is another classical piece, but have no idea what it is.

Has anyone ever noticed that Dr. Kildare and Red Ryder have the same theme music? A little different beat, but the same tune.

The theme to Escape is obviously a classical tune, and is used elsewhere.

I had also heard that the very first tune specifically written for a movie was in 1915, to be played during a certain segment of the (silent) film. I don't recall the name of the tune, but it later became the theme music for Amos 'n Andy.

Any clues or other curious observations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sun 07, 2010 8:20 pm 

The Shadow Theme was "Omphale's Spinning Wheel" by Camille Saint-Saens.
www.old-time.com/themes.html

A part of "Les Preludes" was also a Lone Ranger theme along with the "William Tell Overture".

Last edited by Merrill Bancroft on Dec Wed 08, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Radio theme songs
PostPosted: Nov Sun 28, 2010 10:10 pm 

Gary Tayman wrote:
We ALL know that the theme for the Lone Ranger comes from the cavalry charge of the William Tell Overture. However I've noticed in the course of certain episodes, suddenly I hear what appears to be the theme music for the Shadow! I've also heard that Shodow theme during parts of Buck Rogers. I assume this is another classical piece, but have no idea what it is.

It is from Liszt: Les Préludes. This web site has information about it.

http://www.favorite-classical-composers ... ludes.html

Scroll down near the bottom of the page to listen to a two part Youtube presentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 01, 2010 4:46 pm 

I think Escape used Night on Bald Mountain...a composition of Nikolay Korsakov?

Great question that sent me searching on the "internets"....look what came up -

http://www.classicthemes.com/oldTimeRad ... Index.html

Is there no knowledge unavailable in our age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 01, 2010 5:12 pm 

Just learned A Night On Bald Mountain is by Modest Moussorgsky...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 18, 2011 7:02 am 

It is said that you are only a true classical music fan if you can listen to the William Tell Overture and NOT think of the Lone Ranger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 18, 2011 9:08 am 

Bill Harris wrote:
It is said that you are only a true classical music fan if you can listen to the William Tell Overture and NOT think of the Lone Ranger.

Of course the opposite of that is to listen to the Lone Ranger theme and give no thought of it being classical music . . .

PostPosted: Mar Sat 19, 2011 10:15 am 

Gary Tayman wrote:
Listening to many of the shows, I find it interesting when certain theme songs get used on OTHER shows. My assumption is that many of these are classical pieces to begin with, used because they're often public domain and are free of royalties.

Bob Hope, Jack Benny and Burns and Allen probably didn't escape paying royalties.

Hope's theme, "Thanks for the Memories", is an Oscar winning song that he and Shirley Ross sang in The Big Broadcast of 1938.

Benny's theme, "Yankee Doodle Boy", came from the 1904 George M. Cohan musical Little Johnny Jones.

Burns and Allen's theme, "Love Nest", came from the 1920 musical Mary, which was also a George M. Cohan show.

I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 23, 2011 12:17 pm 

The theme for "The FBI in Peace and War" was the march from Prokofiev's opera "The Love For Three Oranges."

"Mr. Keen, Tracer of Lost Persons" used Noel Coward's "Somewhere I'll Find you."

PostPosted: Jul Wed 13, 2011 6:00 am 

Steven in Oregon wrote:
Burns and Allen's theme, "Love Nest", came from the 1920 musical Mary, which was also a George M. Cohan show.

I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

I have the Burns and Allen show from 1951 featuring Mickey Rooney, and it sounds like the orchestra's playing Blue Skies. Did they switch over the years?

PostPosted: Jul Thu 14, 2011 2:10 pm 

Thanks for sharing plenty of info. about radio theme songs.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 14, 2011 2:11 pm 

PostPosted: Jul Thu 14, 2011 2:12 pm 

PostPosted: Jul Thu 14, 2011 3:31 pm 

Has anyone else noticed that Dr. Kildare and Red Ryder both have the same theme song?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Jul Thu 14, 2011 3:32 pm 

Gary Tayman wrote:
Bill Harris wrote:

Of course the opposite of that is to listen to the Lone Ranger theme and give no thought of it being classical music . . .

Hell when I first heard the William Tell Overture during a classical concert for school, I nearly jumped up and shouted "The Lone Ranger!" Then I found out that Rossini didn't cheat the Ranger out of a song, and was bummed the rest of the night.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 31, 2016 4:50 am 

The opening theme for CBSRMT can also be heard in the TZ episode "Two". This is the one with Charles Bronson and Elizabeth Montgomery playing the last two soldiers after the big one.

Bob

PostPosted: Mar Wed 02, 2016 5:32 pm 

The best theme song of all time is on Speed Gibson and the International Secret Police. The only problem with it is that if you listen to a bunch of episodes in a row it drives you mad since it plays at least 8 times an hour.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 05, 2016 5:31 am 

Elvirafan wrote:
The opening theme for CBSRMT can also be heard in the TZ episode "Two". This is the one with Charles Bronson and Elizabeth Montgomery playing the last two soldiers after the big one.

Bob

I also heard that same CBSRMT theme, the opening theme with the bass clarinet, on a Perry Mason episode the other day. It was "The Case of the Libelous Locket" from 2-7-63 with Michael Rennie and Ruta Lee. They play it several times to create suspense. I had read your post not long before I saw that show and thought maybe I saw the same thing you did, but no. I had no idea that music was that old or used that much.

If you like radio show themes, there's a old two-record set I got when I was a kid in the 1970s called Themes Like Old Times and it's just the openings of radio shows with their theme music. Here's a link to a digitized version on Amazon. You can play sample tracks too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AEQKJG?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

PostPosted: Jun Sat 04, 2016 6:28 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Radio Two sign off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyU47EAbUnk
In Glorious Cyclophonic Stereo Taken from a Readers Digest demonstration album.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Jun Sun 05, 2016 4:23 am 

Zenith42 wrote:
Gary Tayman wrote:
Bill Harris wrote:
Hell when I first heard the William Tell Overture during a classical concert for school, I nearly jumped up and shouted "The Lone Ranger!" Then I found out that Rossini didn't cheat the Ranger out of a song, and was bummed the rest of the night.
:D I had a similar experience, except my 'introduction' was when, as a young whipper snapper, I raided my parents record collection and one of them was the William Tell Overture. I couldn't recall where but was sure I recognized the storm and morning after passage from 'something' but when the trumpets blared.... why, that's the Lone Ranger! :lol:

I was hooked on classic music from that moment on.

They also had the 1812 Overture and, to this day, it's still the 'definitive' version for me.

I think it's classical music snobs who say "if you can listen to the William Tell Overture and NOT think of the Lone Ranger" (or a good natured ribbing of a cultural icon). I don't care where or how one comes to the classics, it's appreciation of them that counts.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: Mike Wheat Go to page 1, 2  Next