Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 20, 2018 9:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Any OTR Chiller/Horror/Sci Fi fans?
PostPosted: Aug Fri 31, 2018 10:39 am 

I enjoy all genres of vintage radio shows, but have always been partial to the spookier set -- of course, Arch Oboler's Lights Out! (It Is Later Than You Think...!) but also Suspense, The Weird Circle, and many others, up to and including the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre and Canada's brilliant Nightfall series (some of those episodes are truly disturbing, in a fun way!).

I also like X Minus One, Escape, Beyond Tomorrow, Dimension X, and the space heroes like Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon. :)

Anyone else here partial to the more fantastic OTR genres?

Mike
N0TLD

Post subject: Re: Any OTR Chiller/Horror/Sci Fi fans?
PostPosted: Aug Fri 31, 2018 1:54 pm 

I've been an OTR fan since I was a junior high school kid in the early 1970s. Suspense and Inner Sanctum are two of my favorites. The ones with the original commercials are better to me. The Lipton Tea commercials on Inner Sanctum are such a contrast to the show, with Mary reacting with Raymond the host. One of the strangest combinations ever, but also pretty funny. It's also my favorite brand of tea--the commercials are no lie.

Suspense had lots of Hollywood's best actors and some were really great on radio too. The way those shows were done live, it's amazing they had so few mistakes in them. The earlier Suspense shows with the Roma Wine and Autolite commercials are my favorites. I remember The House in Cypress Canyon, with Robert Taylor, being a particularly good show. And Sorry, Wrong Number with Agnes Moorehead is another great one. Suspense went on for 20 years, so there are lots of shows to choose from.

I'm not a big sci-fi fan. I did listen to the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre some when it was originally broadcast and I remember hearing them live at night when I was at college in Chapel Hill along with the Sears Radio Theater. Hearing those shows in the car on the way home at night was particularly effective and there's nothing else like that. Kind of heghtens the suspense.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 01, 2018 8:00 am 

Oh yes, Suspense and Inner Sanctum, two big favorites. You're absolutely right about Agnes Moorehead's Sorry, Wrong Number. So damned effective and atmospheric.

We used to listen to the CBS Mystery Theatre in the car on the way home from nighttime outings, and some were so memorable -- listening to E.G. Marshall play Scrooge in A Christmas Carol -- on Christmas Eve no less! -- as well as The Portrait of Dorian Gray. We got home about ten minutes before that show was over, and we all just stayed in the car listening until it was done! Happened a number of times, if I recall! :)

I am not as big a sci-fi fan as I am a horror, mystery and fantasy fan, but I do enjoy it especially if it is based on Bradbury, Asimov or Heinlein.

Mike
N0TLD

PostPosted: Sep Mon 03, 2018 3:40 pm 

Oh yeah, I love all of those shows. Sci-Fi and horror. I discovered them in the early 1970's listening on KEX 1190 AM in Portland. There was an OTR show collector that would come into the studio with reel to reel tapes and play them. Good times!

PostPosted: Sep Wed 05, 2018 4:38 am 

How could I have ever learned that porcelana made age spots fade fade fade away if it wasn't for mystery theatre?

PostPosted: Sep Fri 07, 2018 6:06 am 

db gain wrote:
How could I have ever learned that porcelana made age spots fade fade fade away if it wasn't for mystery theatre?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Right! I wouldn't have learned that Bon Ami hasn't scratched yet!

Mike
N0TLD