Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 23, 2018 11:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dark Shadows and Shock Theatre
PostPosted: May Thu 01, 2008 2:49 am 

Dark Shadows was my first expoure to a radio show. i was just a kid in the early 70's and there was a station in West Palm Beach, Florida that played the show late at night. My aunt would sneak me into her room and we'd sit by the end of her bed and listen in!

Are there many collections of Dark Shadows out there now? Anybody remember Barnabus Collins?

What about Shock Theatre? That was on in the 70's on TV but I "think" it was an earlier radio show as well.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Sun 04, 2008 12:31 am 

I'm thinking I may have a disc of Dark Shadow shows from a share group I was in awhile back. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll take a look around and let you know

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Tue 27, 2008 9:35 pm 

Yep, I remember Barnabus Collins well. I used to watch the show on tv during the mid '60s. I also remember Quentin and the signature tune they played whenever he appeared; Quentin's Theme. I was so impressed by it at the time, I bought the 45 record and still have it today!

Last edited by KA on Sep Mon 28, 2009 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 07, 2008 6:00 pm 

Only caught about the last year of the show. Have all my favorites on DVD.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 07, 2009 5:41 pm 

Dark Shadows was a TV show, not a radio show. I'm a big fan of Dark Shadows, so I'm pretty sure I would have heard of it by now if there was ever a radio show. Was the radio station broadcasting the audio from the TV episodes? Or maybe you were listening to a TV station over the radio. As far as collections go, the whole series is available on DVD. It also came out on VHS years ago.

Post subject: Re: Dark Shadows and Shock Theatre
PostPosted: Feb Sun 02, 2014 4:26 am 

A Treat for us Dark Shadows Fans http://www.fearyoucanhear.com/shows/and ... rk+Shadows Loads of D.S radio episodes Enjoy ..... :D

PostPosted: Feb Wed 05, 2014 7:39 pm 

There are several episodes of DS available on Hulu Plus including the first episodes.

Great show!

Mike

Phil. 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B
S'tone 6130
S'berg 535M
T'tone D1952

PostPosted: Feb Thu 06, 2014 12:09 am 

StrombergMike wrote:
There are several episodes of DS available on Hulu Plus including the first episodes.

Great show!

Mike
Thank you, What I posted is the radio version of the show when it was still on the air . http://www.fearyoucanhear.com/shows/and ... rk+Shadows Hundreds of episodes with the original cast 1966 -1971 members recorded live .....

PostPosted: Aug Tue 02, 2016 2:26 am 

avm wrote:
A Treat for us Dark Shadows Fans http://www.fearyoucanhear.com/shows/and ... rk+Shadows Loads of D.S radio episodes Enjoy ..... :D

Well I'll be damned! I have loved Dark Shadows since I was a little kid, and I never knew there was a radio version. Sounds like they used audio clips from the TV show with a narrator to fill in the gaps. Cool!

PostPosted: Aug Wed 03, 2016 5:24 am 

I first saw Dark Shadows when I was 11 years old in 1969. That's when we got our first color TV and an outdoor antenna with a tenna-rotor, so we could get Channel 18, then the ABC affiliate in Charlotte, NC. Our local ABC VHF station didn't carry Dark Shadows. That station was and is very conservative. So it was almost like watching something forbidden and that show was nothing like any other soap opera.

I was hooked and watched the show every day at 4:00 after school until it went off the air. Even my younger sister got interested in it. I especially remember Kate Jackson as Daphne and Lara Parker as Angelique and how spooky "the Old House" was.

I tried to tape it when it was on the Sci-Fi Network on cable years ago, but wasn't too successful at keeping up with all the episodes. They've had Dark Shadows on the Decades channel recently if you can get that. They show it in marathons on the weekend, called Binges. Did you know that this past June marked 50 years since Dark Shadows premiered?

Be sure to see the Dark Shadows bloopers on YouTube. Some really good ones, and this show was taped live and they didn't like to stop the tape, so many flubs were left in.

I also remember going to the movie theater with my dad to see House of Dark Shadows and being totally surprised by all the blood and gore, because that wasn't in the TV show. I think dad was more shocked than I was.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 13, 2016 9:45 pm 

The Dark Shadows radio show was nothing more than the audio taken from the video. Watched it on TV, and then later on the radio