Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 20, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

If your thread or post disappears - read the rules again - no warnings or explanations will be given when threads or posts are deleted.

The following requirements must be followed when advertising personal antique radio / TV / audio / phono items (such as discussed in the forums here) for sale in the classifieds forum:

• TITLE--Titles must START with: FS (when selling) or WTB (when wanting to buy) or Trade or Free at the beginning of the title.
  • PRICE--FS posts must have an "asking" price and offers may be sent by PM. Are you parting something out? ... price each major part (not things like screws and nuts)
  • LOCATION--There must be a location somewhere in the ad or the members profile (City & State or Zip Code are the minimum requirement). This includes WTB ads.
  • Discussion -- This is NOT a discussion forum. If you're not buying or supplying or suggesting a relevant solution, don't post - send a Private Message. Comments on pricing will be deleted.
  • Ads are limited to two per day, and may not be bumped sooner than 7 days after the last post to the thread.
  • No outside sales links are allowed other than to pictures of actual items being sold. No links allowed to eBay, Craigslist etc.
  • First to post to an item for sale stating "I WILL TAKE IT" it is first in line. Subsequent claims will be followed in the order they are posted. Claims to "Take it" can be conditional on unknowns such as shipping costs.
  • Any "PM sent" posts without posting a reason for the PM will be deleted as they are meaningless to anyone else reading the thread.
  • Once a deal is made, edit the title to say so and the thread will be locked

Post subject: WTB : vintage decibel meter for receiver
PostPosted: Apr Mon 23, 2012 1:05 am 

hello

i am seeking the correct original meter (missing) from the receiver that im restoring.
im pretty sure that the original is a simpson based on the style, but im not 100% sure.
the receiver is a sp-600vlf and uses a decibel meter (unlike all other models that use an s-unit signal strength meter)

i have tried all the usual sources and im aware that the meter falls into the unobtanium catagory and will probably never find one through conventional methods and will probably have to shell out some bucks to have one made.

that being said, i am hoping for the extreme longshot that someone may have an n.o.s meter in a box or a used original burried somewhere.
if it helps, the hammarlund part number from the manual is 16359-1

i have enclosed a picture of the original that a kind ham provided me.

in the very likely event that no one has one of these ...i would very much appreciate any leeds (ham fest dealers, vintage meter dealers, a friend who might have one ect...

thanks very much
sincerely
dave sampson

Attachments:
SP600 VLF METER.jpg
SP600 VLF METER.jpg [ 73.56 KiB | Viewed 643 times ]

Post subject: Re: vintage decibel meter needed for receiver
PostPosted: Apr Mon 23, 2012 3:26 am 

From the photo, it looks like your meter was made by Marion Electrical Instrument Co. If it is 2-1/2 inch diameter, it would be Marion series 52N. If 3-1/2 inch diameter it would be Series 53RN.
If you can find a meter from that series, you should be able to make your own scale, using software available online.
The manual doesn't mention the meter sensitivity, but if you find a 50microamp FS meter, you can always add a shunt resistance to reduce its sensitivity if needed.

good luck,
Chuck

Post subject: Re: vintage decibel meter needed for receiver
PostPosted: Apr Mon 23, 2012 4:28 pm 

I Have that, but I´m on Spain

Attachments:
Decibels.JPG
Decibels.JPG [ 92.23 KiB | Viewed 562 times ]

Post subject: Re: WTB : vintage decibel meter for receiver
PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2012 2:38 pm 

chuck k7mcg

i have emailed the gentleman who sent me the picture of the meter to see if there was any info on the back of the meter.
meanwhile i measured the hole that the meter goes in: it is 2 3/16" and the center from mount hole to hole is 2 1/8".
to bad marion is no longer in business

thanks very much and let me know if you come up with any other helpfull info

73s
dave

PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2012 3:59 pm 

Dave-
The meter from your Spanish connection is a rectifier-type AC voltmeter, commonly used across a 600 ohm audio line. Check your radio schematic - your receiver uses a vacuum rectifier ( 1/2 6AL5) external to the meter. The meter you need would be a dc microammeter with the custom decibel scale.

--Chuck

PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2012 7:51 pm 

2" round Simpson meters aren't very common (yes, I think that style pictured is a Simpson). I have a couple of square ones but that's it. I should probably pay more attention when I see box lots at the flea market but I just tend to roll my eyes.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2012 8:43 pm 

PM sent