Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 14, 2017 5:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: WTB: Sparton 557 side glass panel
PostPosted: Nov Thu 30, 2017 10:34 am 

Hi Guys,
new to this forum but keen to explore it.

I have recently acquired a Sparton 557 radio complete but needing restoration and a complete overhaul.
The front glass panel was destroyed in an earth quake in the New Zealand city of Christchurch!

I have since located and obtained a great reproduction front glass panel that looks the same as the original.

I am now looking to find the rectangular side glass panel that is secured by a decorative round headed bolt.
I would be happy to hear from anyone who might be able to assist. Perhaps parting out a damaged or incomplete set?

Radio Daze supplied a very nice reproduction dial.

These radios are extra rare here in Australia but I am having great fun with this set.
I intend to keep the original patina of the set and only replace those parts that need to be replaced.

Cheers to all, John (Sydney, Australia)

Post subject: Re: WTB: Sparton 557 side glass panel
PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 1:35 am 

A local glass company may be able to provide what you need. The one in in my area is very reasonable price wise when making

things for me.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 6:17 pm 

The original "blue glass" was made by PPG (Pittsburgh Paint Group). It has cobalt in it, to give it the color. There were a lot of coffee and end tables that also used the same glass. You should be able to keep your eyes on E-bay and watch for just such a piece. You might even be able to find a piece that is broken (cracked), but will be large enough to be able to cut a piece for your radio. I have some glass here that I am saving for another Sparton "sled" set(s).
Hope this helps..
Tony

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 9:55 pm 

Thanks for the tips guys.
Unfortunately none of the broken pieces can be used as they are too small to make the side panel.
I'll keep on the look out for a vintage coffee table top,even if it is not identical, something close might turn up.
The other thing here in Australia is the fact that the domestic power supply voltage is 230VAC as opposed to the US 117VAC.
Fortunately I have a suitable step down transformer to bring the voltage down.
Would anyone know if there's a supplier of the labels at the back of the chassis identifying the radio and voltages etc?
Thanks,
John

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 4:00 pm 

John

Could you share your source for the front panel. I have the same issue. Thanks

Rick

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 4:25 pm 

How big a piece of cobalt blue glass do you need for your side panel? I had a Sparton Blue Bird restored a number of years back by a glass company in Baltimore, MD, and wrote it up in Radio Age - they were real professionals. I had found some old coffee tables. They made me a great replacement, but one of the pieces cracked as it had a scratch. I believe I still have some of the glass. I assume you can get it cut to your prober size and drilled there?

Joe

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 10:19 pm 

Hi Joe,
Thanks for your message. The actual measurements fro the side panel for the Sparton 557 are 192 mm x 77 mm.
I am scoping out some local glass folks at the moment to see if I can match the colour, thickness and get someone to cut it properly. I will keep in touch and let you know how I go.
I must say that other than the Sparton radios, I have never ever seen a radio that has so much glass!
best regard,
John