Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Sep Fri 21, 2018 2:57 am


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 7:16 am 
Site Admin

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 10197
Location: Baguio City, Philippines
First of all, a giagantic thank you to all of you that have contributed to this site in the efforts to secure better hosting for the forums. The contributions have allowed me to obtain a dedicated server to run the site on.

The server has an Xeon ES-1230 processor, 8GM of ram and a 500GB solid state drive. There's also a 1TB hard disk drive to be used for backups of everything. If I need to upgrade or want to downgrade anything, I can do that at any time. So far the support people have been responsive to my concerns. The host company is InMotionHosting.com.

I'm trying to work out scheduling for the site migration to the new server so that I can shut down the forum before the database gets copied and the DNS setting that direct you to the proper server get changed. That way there won't be anything posted on the current site that could get lost (i.e., you make a post on the old server after the database is one the new server, so those posts won't exist in the newer location). However, I'm having to work on this over email with a 17 hour time difference, so communications are a bit slow between us.

I'll keep you posted here as I find out things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 1:36 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Tue 15, 2008 6:13 pm
Posts: 5254
Location: Gretna, Nebraska
This sounds like a great move going forward, Alan.
Thanks for taking the steps you took to upgrade the hardware, and moving to a hosting firm that is more responsive.

_________________
http://www.vintagerestorationservices.com
Paul
...... how hard can it be?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 4:53 pm 
Member

Joined: May Thu 26, 2016 5:17 pm
Posts: 267
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Hello,

That’s great news!

I’m glad you were able to get some new hardware with the donations. That should make a big difference.

Carter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 9:11 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 3211
Location: Massachusetts
Alan Voorhees wrote:
First of all, a giagantic thank you to all of you that have contributed to this site in the efforts to secure better hosting for the forums. The contributions have allowed me to obtain a dedicated server to run the site on.

The server has an Xeon ES-1230 processor, 8GM of ram and a 500GB solid state drive. There's also a 1TB hard disk drive to be used for backups of everything. If I need to upgrade or want to downgrade anything, I can do that at any time. So far the support people have been responsive to my concerns. The host company is InMotionHosting.com.

I'm trying to work out scheduling for the site migration to the new server so that I can shut down the forum before the database gets copied and the DNS setting that direct you to the proper server get changed. That way there won't be anything posted on the current site that could get lost (i.e., you make a post on the old server after the database is one the new server, so those posts won't exist in the newer location). However, I'm having to work on this over email with a 17 hour time difference, so communications are a bit slow between us.

I'll keep you posted here as I find out things.


I had problems with inmotionhosting a few years ago when they were hosting our website, was always calling them when it went down.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 10:15 pm 
Member

Joined: Oct Fri 11, 2013 12:06 am
Posts: 183
Just seeing this!! Happy to contribute. $$$ sent. Thanks for a great site Alan!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 1:23 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Mon 18, 2017 2:23 am
Posts: 1621
Location: Plymouth, MI
Thanks Alan!

_________________
Dan

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 2:31 am 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 10, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 775
Location: Weymouth,Massachusetts
Alan,
Thanks again for all that you do.
Henry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 2:42 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: May Sun 13, 2012 8:12 pm
Posts: 11161
Location: Central PA 16801
do you have an idea of how long ARF will be "down" during the migration ?

thanks,

steve

_________________
I am not responsible for any damage, injury, or death from any content / advice in this thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 2:49 am 
Site Admin

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 10197
Location: Baguio City, Philippines
The migration requires two things, physicially moving the data to the new server and configuring the server to work with it, which at 50GB probably will take less than two hours. The longer wait is the Domain Name Server (DNS) change that has to take place. DNS takes the domain name in a URL and converts that to the IP address of the server so a page request gets directed to the correct server. There are thousands of such servers around the world and the propagation of the information happens automatically. Most major DNS servers will update in the first hour or so; some of the smaller ones may take a day to update.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 3:02 am 
Member

Joined: May Sun 28, 2017 9:08 pm
Posts: 336
Location: Whiteville, TN
Keep up the good work, Alan! We will be fine. Many of us here in the big US are freezing, floating or sliding down in mud. Cold, wet and slimy. Baguio can be rough with annual temps about 75. Don't worry about us. Our ONLY distraction is this forum. Go ahead an' shut 'er off if you think it is necessary. We'll be OK. They say cats are good for stress and depression. Anybody got a cat I can borrow? Oh, woe!

_________________
Karl
KI4ZUQ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 3:29 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: May Sun 13, 2012 8:12 pm
Posts: 11161
Location: Central PA 16801
yes, we have anything from tornados, to record warmth, to deep freeze, to winter storms, to warm rain, flooding, mudslides, and all the works ALL AT ONCE here in the USA.

thanks so much and keep up the good work.

i'm sorry i started all this... :oops

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... 2&t=332865

this thread may be able to be locked now...

steve

_________________
I am not responsible for any damage, injury, or death from any content / advice in this thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 3:03 pm 
New Member

Joined: Feb Mon 26, 2018 2:16 pm
Posts: 1
do we get any remote network monitoring service

_________________
Iam puli working for Extnoc . com as MSP (Managed Services Provider).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 7:00 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar Sun 01, 2009 10:27 pm
Posts: 4546
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Alan Voorhees wrote:
The longer wait is the Domain Name Server (DNS) change that has to take place. DNS takes the domain name in a URL and converts that to the IP address of the server so a page request gets directed to the correct server. There are thousands of such servers around the world and the propagation of the information happens automatically. Most major DNS servers will update in the first hour or so; some of the smaller ones may take a day to update.

One thing that can help is to reduce the time to live of the domain name down to a hour or less. But that would require the cooperation of the current hosting company. The time to live is the length of time that a domain name server can use cached information. After the time to live expires, name servers have to re-query the higher level servers.

_________________
Tom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 6:58 pm 
Member

Joined: Aug Mon 04, 2014 9:42 pm
Posts: 64
Many thanks for the really quick turn-around, Alan - awesome!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 7:39 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar Sun 01, 2009 10:27 pm
Posts: 4546
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
CROSSBOLT wrote:
Keep up the good work, Alan! We will be fine. Many of us here in the big US are freezing, floating or sliding down in mud. Cold, wet and slimy. Baguio can be rough with annual temps about 75. Don't worry about us. Our ONLY distraction is this forum. Go ahead an' shut 'er off if you think it is necessary. We'll be OK. They say cats are good for stress and depression. Anybody got a cat I can borrow? Oh, woe!

Thanks to your very hopeful post, I managed to survive. :) But it was tough!

_________________
Tom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 7:45 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct Sun 05, 2008 7:39 pm
Posts: 657
Location: Northern Minn. 56472
Alan,

Thanks for all the hours you put in to make these changes for us all. We need to keep this forum going and going.


G.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 8:44 pm 
Member

Joined: Feb Thu 04, 2016 2:41 am
Posts: 305
Location: Wyoming.
Jeezless, this place flys now!

_________________
5000!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 9:23 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Mon 18, 2017 2:23 am
Posts: 1621
Location: Plymouth, MI
Thanks again Alan, I greatly appreciate all you do for us.

_________________
Dan

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 9:28 pm 
Member

Joined: Feb Mon 06, 2012 7:24 pm
Posts: 2410
Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
AAAAnnnd we're back (croaking along) Zippity quick and lickity split....

_________________
2 kinds of men/tape. Low Noise/Wide Range.
LN=kind. WR=abrasive. Engineers=same thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UPDATE ON NEW SERVER
PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 9:59 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Mon 18, 2017 2:23 am
Posts: 1621
Location: Plymouth, MI
Lightening fast! Great new server!

_________________
Dan

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 63 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 35Z5, Dutch Rabbit, Google [Bot], MariaR, simplex1040, targeteye and 10 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB