Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 23, 2017 2:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mystery Connector
PostPosted: Nov Wed 15, 2017 1:50 am 

I am trying to identify a white nylon body connector type that is typically seen on audio equipment including many more modern record changers and amplifier inter-connects of console stereos. They are usually a single row of contacts in the connector shell and the shell has three indexing ridges near one corner of a single side. Many are just 3 or 4 contacts that are rectangular in shape and slide against a mating connector of the same exact design in the connector it mates with. I think these may be an Amp brand connector but are not sure. I just finished working with one Fisher console stereo chassis that I changed to a Molex connector because I was not successful in identifying the connector manufacturer and finding a source for it. Here is a picture of some typical connectors of this type:
Attachment:
Mystery Connector.jpg
Mystery Connector.jpg [ 37.55 KiB | Viewed 400 times ]

Can someone please point me to the manufacturer and a current source of this type connector and the contacts used with them?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Post subject: Re: Mystery Connector
PostPosted: Nov Wed 15, 2017 2:01 am 

Try this page:

https://helpful.knobs-dials.com/index.p ... connectors

or, this should be it...

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog ... Base=CordA

Amplok connector...

PostPosted: Nov Wed 15, 2017 2:54 am 

The ones shown on the first link do not have this one.

The one shown on the V-M site appears to have round pin and sleeve type contacts. This connector I am looking for uses only male rectangular contacts that slide against one another. In other words, one contact is not a male and the other a female contact (one does not fit inside the other contact). The connector housings made of white nylon plastic do have male and female shapes so that one housing plugs into the other housing. Both female housing and male housings use the same male rectangular contacts in them and they just slide against one another as the male housing plugs into the female housing.

Joe

PostPosted: Nov Wed 15, 2017 4:27 pm 

That is a tough one. I have worked with those, but it has probably been 20-30 years since I have seen one, and I don't recall what they are called. I went through several general-line catalogs spanning four decades and could not find them.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 15, 2017 4:56 pm 

Possibly Molex??

Ah, how quick they are. It has been less than 20 minutes since I googled Molex and I am now getting Molex ads on my screen.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 15, 2017 5:32 pm 

I went back and looked closely at the connector housings and see that the manufacturer is definitely AMP and a 3-contact housing would have AC-3 molded on its side while a 4-contact housing would have AC-4 molded on its side.

I sent a message to Gary Stork of V-M along with the picture and he says it is an AMPLOCK connector. He has them! I have kept some of the contacts, so I have some spares I can use in a pinch. I am waiting to hear back from him today.

The female connector housings have no divider walls between contact positions, while the male connector housings have a divider wall between each contact. The manufacturer made both snap-in connector housings for panel mount and housings for cable ends without mounting tabs.

Sometimes pictures on websites are not detailed enough to tell for certain just how they are made.

Thanks for all your help!

Joe

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 7:57 pm 

Bruce Hagen wrote:
Possibly Molex??

Ah, how quick they are. It has been less than 20 minutes since I googled Molex and I am now getting Molex ads on my screen.

Ahem-

http://www.startpage.com

David

P.S. 'Google without the spying'

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 8:10 pm 

Bruce and David;

Yes, I have been using Duck-Duck-Go for years to avoid the spam issues and spying.

Incidentally, the connector I need goes on a Fisher MF-300 FM tuner from about 1962-63 or so. It had search tune similar to some auto radios and was a top performing tuner of its day. The circuitry was almost identical to the Fisher FM-200-B. I have the RK-20 ultrasonic remote control which is a rare optional piece to work with it and allows wireless remote control from your chair. (just don't jingle keys or pocket change right in front of it). I was missing the interconnect cable that goes between the two units. I now have a complete cable with end connectors coming from a fellow Fisher collector who also has the same model plus a second one.

Fisher used the same connector for speaker cables within many of their console models of the late 1950s and early 1960s. In those cases although the 3-contact connector shell was used, only two contacts were installed.

In the MF-300 there is a violet wire used for tune to the left (down in frequency) and yellow for tuner to the right (up in frequency). The RK-20 the same colors are used inside its chassis. However the interconnect cable uses all the same colors except one wire has a black stripe.

Anyway, since I now have a complete cable coming that has the connectors, I don't need to worry about this connector. I know of possible sources for parts now also in case I ever need more for some reason.

Thanks for your concern and suggestions and thanks to the rest of the group too.

Joe

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 8:19 pm 

Here is a picture of the back of the RK-20.
Attachment:
RK-20 web 04.jpg
RK-20 web 04.jpg [ 184.26 KiB | Viewed 100 times ]

And here is the MF-300 with the RK-20 and remote control.
Attachment:
MF-300- web 01.jpg
MF-300- web 01.jpg [ 146.02 KiB | Viewed 100 times ]

Have fun!

Joe

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 8:31 pm 

joeztech wrote:
I have been using Duck-Duck-Go for years to avoid the spam issues and spying.

As have I. I only use Google when I'm hunting for something rococo not revealed by DuckDuckGo.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 8:35 pm 

I think the correct mate to a wide spade is a square post. The wide spade acts as a spring contact to the square post.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 20479.html

Attachments:
connecor.jpg
connecor.jpg [ 34.16 KiB | Viewed 98 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 8:36 pm 

Dale H. Cook wrote:
joeztech wrote:
I have been using Duck-Duck-Go for years to avoid the spam issues and spying.

As have I. I only use Google when I'm hunting for something rococo not revealed by DuckDuckGo.

Yep, a big thumbs up from me on duckduckgo.

Startpage.com is also good because it is a Google anonomyzer.
It's a 3rd party who is blinding Google to the ID of the searcher.
Keeps Google in the dark about your ID but still returns Google results.
How they must hate it...
Works equally well, have been using startpage for years now.

David

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 8:52 pm 

Glue_ru;

While the spring loaded contact you show looks somewhat like the connector I am concerned with, it is not the same size (considerably smaller) and goes in a completely different connector shell series. The Amp AmpLock contacts look somewhat like the connectors at the left in your picture but are used in both female and male receptacles/plugs. The contacts in the AmpLock connectors are considered generic and simply slide a male plug contact against the contact installed in a female connector. In other words, both connectors use the same exact contact - a rectangular piece with spring loading that snaps in the connector housing similar to what occurs with a Molex pin and sleeve type connector, but the Molex connectors are not compatible with the AmpLock connectors. The rectangular contact in the AmpLock connectors is .75" long from crimp end to tip end and the contact area is .135" wide by about .15" thick with the spring loaded part extended out. The contact region of the contact is about .355" long. So you can see that the contacts are pretty large.

Joe

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 8:57 pm 

Joe
I see, might have to upgrade it to something more obtainable and similar looking.

Joe