Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 19, 2018 7:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Reproduction capacitor
PostPosted: Nov Sun 01, 2015 4:55 pm 

After looking for 3 original Zenith capacitors for my 440, and finding only one, I decided to try my hand at making them.
Some are made by Aerovox and some are made by Mallory. I chose to make the Aerovox version. :D

I found the cardboard and brass eyelets at Hobby Lobby.
The box is made of Canson Colorline board 19" X 25" 184 lb 200041452
The bottom piece is made of Canson Conservation board 16" X 20" 400024153
These were both in the Arts section next to the picture frames.

The brass eyelets are "Sew-ology" brand 5/32" Gold eyelets 109413 found in the sewing section.

I'm cutting the holes with a Darice hole punch 1201-35, but there must be something better...

The terminals are from Midwest Surplus in Fairborn. They have plenty of them! I just used the same eyelets to mount them.

I took the scan of the label and doctored it up in GIMP then printed them out on yellow paper.

The rating is 8 uf @ 500VDC, so I took two mylar 18 uf @ 250VDC and put them in series. The two 5.1 MEG ohm balancing resistors are probably unnecessary, but, what the heck. :D

Just wanted to share. Thanks!

-Steve

Attachments:
zenith22-167box4.jpg
zenith22-167box4.jpg [ 32.82 KiB | Viewed 3994 times ]
zenith22-167box3.jpg
zenith22-167box3.jpg [ 83.74 KiB | Viewed 3994 times ]
zenith22-167box2.jpg
zenith22-167box2.jpg [ 81.95 KiB | Viewed 3994 times ]
zenith22-167box1.jpg
zenith22-167box1.jpg [ 51.64 KiB | Viewed 3994 times ]
zenith22-167box.jpg
zenith22-167box.jpg [ 61.91 KiB | Viewed 3994 times ]
new-insides.jpg
new-insides.jpg [ 91.28 KiB | Viewed 3994 times ]
aerovox22-167.jpg
aerovox22-167.jpg [ 156.26 KiB | Viewed 3994 times ]
aerovox22-167cap.jpg
aerovox22-167cap.jpg [ 37.96 KiB | Viewed 3994 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

Post subject: Re: Reproduction capacitor
PostPosted: Nov Sun 01, 2015 5:05 pm 

Very nice.

Did you make a pattern that could be copied for future copies?

PostPosted: Nov Sun 01, 2015 5:11 pm 

phlogiston wrote:
Very nice.

Did you make a pattern that could be copied for future copies?

Thanks Russ,
I haven't yet. I need to make a pattern.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

Post subject: Re: Reproduction capacitor and Lexington Meet report
PostPosted: Nov Sun 01, 2015 5:30 pm 

Very nice reproduction. I was able to see it in person at the Lexington, KY meet yesterday. A real labor of love.
Great to see you again Steve.

It was a good meet yesterday. Consoles were going at bargain prices. I bought a Philco 15X with the two speakers (they were both damaged) and a cabinet needing some work for only $6.00. Now as a recovering consolholic it was not for me, but for my friend in San Antonio. I already have my own 15X! Also a nice Philco chairside for $16.00. This is also going to San Antonio's Mr. Philco (Jim Moffett). Some consoles were bundled together to bring a $1.00 bid. This has me worrying about the future for consoles. A nice pair of Philco Model 40-180 consoles were sold as well as a very nice pair of RCA consoles.

I did buy a Philco 90 in a console cabinet for $32.00 for the chassis. The cabinet had the legs cut off and it will be going to the "Body Farm" (in the woods) for veneer recovery and salvage. Has knobs and escutcheon. It has a good speaker I would like to swap for an equally good Philco 90 speaker for a cathedral. A Zenith bomber chassis for $1.00 and a Zenith 9S262 shutter dial chassis for $15.00.

There were a lot of small table radios that went cheap and I did not stay for the auction of the audio gear in another room. Lots of solid state tuners and amps. This was a fire sale sort of auction and was worth the drive to Lexington.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 01, 2015 5:53 pm 

Hi Steve,
Very nice work indeed! :)

You mention maybe a better way to punch the holes. What about a leather punch, the type with the rotating head for different-sized holes? Most of these will punch from 1/16" up to about a 1/4" hole. I use mine quite often for heavy cardboard and it works well.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 01, 2015 6:50 pm 

Thanks Joe! It was a real pleasure to see you again!
I did not plan to buy anything, but I ended up with more stuff, as usual. :wink:

Poston, Thank you! I did try an old leather punch, but it had difficulty punching the thin cardboard. It was rather worn, so I may try a new one.
The eyelets are 5/32" in diameter, which is just over 1/8" I thought of trying a Fiskars brand paper punch, but they recommend using it on 65 lb card stock or thinner.
This is 184 lb card stock.

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Crafti ... Hand-Punch

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Nov Sun 01, 2015 8:56 pm 

VERY NICE JOB, Steve.

You have far more patience that I. ;-)

- Leigh

PostPosted: Nov Sun 01, 2015 9:09 pm 

Steve,
The leather punch I have belonged to my grandfather, and it looked very well-used when I can remember seeing it hang above his workbench as a little boy. Since I am now 60 years old, this gives some idea of how old it actually might be. It is still very sharp, but like most old tools was no doubt made with very good steel, nor has it ever been abused. Inexpensive modern leather punches are sold at Harbor Freight and big box stores, most probably made in China and of questionable quality, but probably adequate for occasional use by a homeowner. No doubt good ones are still made for use by professional leather workers, but I would guess their price would be more than most of us would be willing to pay.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 02, 2015 3:31 am 

Thanks Leigh! Not sure it's patience or OCD...

Poston, I'll see if I can find a decent leather punch to try. The 3 caps I need for the 440 are now complete, so it may be a while until I pick up on this project again.
Unless I can sell a few. :wink:

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Nov Mon 02, 2015 3:14 pm 

Steve,
It is very possible that you could sell a few of these if properly marketed. Obviously if you wanted to make anything at all for your labor the price would have to be high, but I suspect some would be willing to pay for it. And your same technique could also be used to produce similar cap enclosures of other dimensions.

I have been re-stuffing paper caps for many years and have developed what I think is a good technique. A few years ago I toyed with the idea of selling re-stuffed paper caps to fellow radio restorers at (hopefully) a small profit. Toward that end I accumulated many thousands of old paper caps, which I still have. But I never actually took the plunge, don't know whether it would have been successful or not. Frankly, I was afraid I might be overwhelmed with orders that I could not fill promptly.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 02, 2015 8:32 pm 

Poston Drake wrote:
Steve,
It is very possible that you could sell a few of these if properly marketed. Obviously if you wanted to make anything at all for your labor the price would have to be high, but I suspect some would be willing to pay for it. And your same technique could also be used to produce similar cap enclosures of other dimensions.

I have been re-stuffing paper caps for many years and have developed what I think is a good technique. A few years ago I toyed with the idea of selling re-stuffed paper caps to fellow radio restorers at (hopefully) a small profit. Toward that end I accumulated many thousands of old paper caps, which I still have. But I never actually took the plunge, don't know whether it would have been successful or not. Frankly, I was afraid I might be overwhelmed with orders that I could not fill promptly.

I sold repro tubular wax capacitors many years ago, can't say I made a lot of money, but people did buy them.

Andrew

PostPosted: Nov Wed 04, 2015 2:26 am 

I don't know how you make repro tubular wax caps, but wouldn't cleaning and restuffing be cheaper and easier, and still be marketable? Might be a market for Philco blocks. As they often serve as component support terminals in the radios, not just loose parts. And if you take out the old ones, you gotta install terminal strips or something to mount all the new caps and attach the resistors and wires.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 04, 2015 2:35 am 

Here is a tubular cap I reproduced.

Found some small cardboard tubing, printed a label and stuffed a new cap inside sealed with beeswax.

-Steve

Attachments:
homemadecap.jpg
homemadecap.jpg [ 18.79 KiB | Viewed 3732 times ]

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Nov Wed 04, 2015 3:01 am 

azenithnut wrote:

Found some small cardboard tubing, printed a label and stuffed a new cap inside sealed with beeswax.

-Steve

You could sell them to audiophools as almost the real thing!

PostPosted: Nov Wed 04, 2015 3:19 am 

Number 6 wrote:
azenithnut wrote:

-Steve

You could sell them to audiophools as almost the real thing!

Yeah Im sure that beeswax gives a rich warm sound compared to those paraffin wax caps.

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Nov Wed 04, 2015 3:22 am 

Just a standard Panasonic (I think) cap inside :wink:

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Nov Wed 04, 2015 2:44 pm 

I really like your attempts to make reproductions of the early boxed dry electrolytics. So many of them failed early and it is common to find that they were replaced with round cans placed elsewhere in the chassis.

If you are compelled to recap a set of that vintage, this is the way to go.

Robert

PostPosted: Nov Wed 04, 2015 2:57 pm 

azenithnut wrote:

-Steve

Steve, that looks very good. I have only attempted a couple of the tubular "restuffings" in the past. I have done a few FP-type electrolytic capacitors. My biggest complaint about stuffing tubular capacitors is the wire gauge of the new capacitors. It is smaller. What I did do was to buy a roll of buss wire and hope to splice it to the ends of the capacitor under the wax. Maybe ... maybe not...

PostPosted: Nov Wed 04, 2015 7:12 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:
My biggest complaint about stuffing tubular capacitors is the wire gauge of the new capacitors. It is smaller. What I did do was to buy a roll of buss wire and hope to splice it to the ends of the capacitor under the wax. Maybe ... maybe not...

Hi Don,
Yes, wire gauge of new cap leads is often smaller than original but an even worse problem is that the length of leads are usually shorter. When re-stuffing old paper cap shells the new axial cap is always smaller than the original, thus leaving extra room inside the old cap shell. What I usually do is cut the leads of the new cap close to its body and attach buss wire of appropriate gauge and length using a soldered J-hook connection, which will be hidden beneath whatever you use to seal up the ends of the paper cap shell. Personally I use brown-colored hot glue, rather than beeswax, to seal up the ends. If desired the re-stuffed cap can then be dipped in beeswax to give a truly authentic appearance. But I usually don't do this, since it tends to obscure the original colors and graphics on the newly-cleaned cardboard cap shell and starts the process of attracting dust and dirt all over again. But to each his own in terms of methods.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 04, 2015 7:49 pm 

Poston Drake wrote:
Don Cavey wrote:
My biggest complaint about stuffing tubular capacitors is the wire gauge of the new capacitors. It is smaller. What I did do was to buy a roll of buss wire and hope to splice it to the ends of the capacitor under the wax. Maybe ... maybe not...

Hi Don,
Yes, wire gauge of new cap leads is often smaller ...

... But to each his own in terms of methods.

My feelings ... EXACTLY on all accounts.