Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 10, 2018 4:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: First attempt at making a dial
PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 6:54 am 

I decided it was time to learn how to make a replacement dial. A Minerva W710 has been sitting on the shelf for 10 years because the paint was falling off of the dial glass. I couldn't justify $50 for a reproduction dial. I used the GIMP software on Linux and I think it came out looking good. For now I'm going to print the new dial on paper, cut out the window for the pointer, and clamp it between two thin pieces of plastic. Printing on clear material would probably look better but the dial is 14" long and I would have to find legal sized media.
Attachment:
Minerva_W710_Dial2.png
Minerva_W710_Dial2.png [ 23.78 KiB | Viewed 920 times ]

The frequency marks are going on another strip of paper under the pointer. The original white background needs to be replaced anyway. The marks will be exactly right because I'm measuring the pointer positions while tuning to a precision frequency generator.

I'm not impressed with the W710 performance. The RF amp capacitor coupled to the converter seems to be more of a noise amp than a signal strength improvement. With only one RF tuned circuit, it definitely needs the IF choke after the first stage or it acts like the oscillating IF BFO of a Hallicrafters S-38. I found that out when I accidentally snagged a wire loop hanging off of the choke coil.

All the components were top quality in the Minerva even to having ceramic tube sockets. The construction however seems rather poor with the wires just stuck through the lugs and held in place by solder. At least it was easy to re-cap.

If anyone needs a copy of the print file for the dial, send me a PM.

Post subject: Re: First attempt at making a dial
PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 3:51 pm 

Good for you. Nice job.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 6:43 am 

Quote:
I used the GIMP software on Linux and I think it came out looking good.
Coundn't agree more. Looks very impressive!
Quote:
All the components were top quality in the Minerva even to having ceramic tube sockets. The construction however seems rather poor with the wires just stuck through the lugs and held in place by solder.
Sounds like they were following Tektronix's lead! There was a discussion of this approach in a past forum topic:

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=142409

Best regards,
Grid2

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 4:46 pm 

To stop the light from coming through, paint the back using artist paints.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 2:48 am 

Hi JnTX,

I saw your post this morning on the Antique Radio website. I was delighted to see the results of your effort in creating a replacement dial for a Minerva W710. I have a working Minerva W710 also! It sits in our family room, and does a great job with local AM stations here in Los Angeles. Got my Minerva a few years ago at a local swap meet. Last year I decided to see what it needed to come back to life. Wasn't too difficult to swap out the old capacitors and a few out-of-spec resistors, replace the tubes, and a clean up some cosmetic issues, and I had a welcome addition to my radio collection!

Today I used my color printer and generated a copy of your attachment, and then took some measurements with a ruler. My printout dimensions of your dial is about 5.6 inches wide and about 1.16" inches tall. However, the dimensions of the dial on my Minerva W710 are about 12.75 inches wide, and 5.5 inches tall. Not a good fit for the two sizes. (Which makes me wonder if Minerva sold two different sizes of the W710!)

Your post on Antique Radio website says to send you a PM for a copy of the print file. Is it possible to modify the print file dimensions of your file to generate an approximately 5.6 inch high by 12.75 inch wide copy of the dial?

Again, many thanks for taking on such a challenging task to come up with a replacement for this unique item. I have noticed many of the frequency numbers on my Minerva are slowly chipping away bit-by bit. I hope your effort will help keep many W710's going for many years to come!

Please let me know if you would like me to submit some cash for your efforts!

Best Wishes to you,

Mike Schettler WA6MER

email:
michael.schettler@gmail.com

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 2:55 am 

Looks quite good. Congrats.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 2:44 am 

Nice!