Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Wed 23, 2018 12:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DeOxit- New Sprayer Woes & Fix
PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 1:46 am 

I recently re-upped my supply of DeOxit D5. Apparently CAIG decided to revamp the delivery system and came up with a new style integrated sprayer (left w/yellow tube):
Attachment:
P1_OldNewCans.jpg
P1_OldNewCans.jpg [ 71.94 KiB | Viewed 1164 times ]

I don't like this new arrangement. For one reason, the new yellow tube is just too big to fit in the tight spots to effectively spray the target. So they came up with an 'accessory' for purchase:
Attachment:
P2_OfficialAdapter.jpg
P2_OfficialAdapter.jpg [ 67.96 KiB | Viewed 1164 times ]

Ordering/shipping their accessory is at least a $6 proposition by itself. No thanks. So instead I hopped to my local hardware store and got two sizes of small clear tubing for about a $1 and made my own. I made one for each of my existing (red) tube styles:
Attachment:
P3_MyAdapters.jpg
P3_MyAdapters.jpg [ 72.93 KiB | Viewed 1164 times ]

Together it's a little longer, but it does work and reduces flow.
Attachment:
P4_Connected.jpg
P4_Connected.jpg [ 64.21 KiB | Viewed 1164 times ]

'Hope this little tip can help others.

Cheers,
Grid2

Post subject: Re: DeOxit- New Sprayer Woes & Fix
PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 4:14 am 

Greetings to Grid2 and the Forum:

I have run into this brain-damaged idea also.... I was upset about it enough to contact the manufacturer and complain. There is no way I can modulate finger pressure (especially with arthritic fingers) to control the spray volume as well as it could be controlled with the old-style rotary valve.

It is my intention to purchase only the syringe-type applicator in the future... but in case I need some in a hurry, I would like to know more about your idea.

First of all, Fry's electronics (the only place I can buy the stuff over the counter anywhere near where I live) does not stock the extra $6 gizmo, so one must mail order it or do without... some customer convenience. So, I am definitely interested in your solution.

My question is: How do you size the clear plastic tubing? Since the De-Ox-It yellow spout is quite a bit larger in diameter than the standard spray tube, how do you get a snug fit on the small tube and still get it to fit over the large yellow tube? Do you have to glue the smaller tube joint, or will the clear tubing stretch to fit the large yellow tube? If the latter, how hard is it to attach and remove your style adapter?

Thanks for coming up with this.

Regards,

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 6:29 am 

Quote:
My question is: How do you size the clear plastic tubing? Since the De-Ox-It yellow spout is quite a bit larger in diameter than the standard spray tube, how do you get a snug fit on the small tube and still get it to fit over the large yellow tube? Do you have to glue the smaller tube joint, or will the clear tubing stretch to fit the large yellow tube? If the latter, how hard is it to attach and remove your style adapter?

Sizing - I just took the new style DeOxit sprayer and an example red tube with me to the hardware store. Sorry I don't have the dimensions but will try to get those on next trip and report back.

In a nutshell, working with a salesperson, we found a small tube size where the red tube fit inside/snug. Next, we found a larger size tube where the smaller one would fit snugly inside and also fit snugly around the yellow DeOxit tube. So a got a clipping of both and made my own adapters. No gluing involved. They go on/off the yellow tube pretty easily but are also snug when in place.

Quote:
There is no way I can modulate finger pressure (...) to control the spray volume as well as it could be controlled with the old-style rotary valve.
This is my other disappointing observation about the new sprayer. In the new design, the product comes gushing out. The skeptic in me wonders if the manufacturer has purposely engineered it to make the product deplete more quickly.

HTH,
Grid2

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 6:33 am 

Hi Grid2,
I am sorry to learn that CAIG has done this, but it seems to be the trend. Even WD40 and others have adopted this so-called "integrated sprayer" delivery system. Your solution sounds good, and like Jthorusen I would like to have further details.

Has anyone tried to remove this new-fangled "integrated sprayer" system from the top of one of these new spray cans, and substitute an original style rotary-valve spray head from an old empty can? Would this work?

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 6:53 am 

Quote:
Has anyone tried to remove this new-fangled "integrated sprayer" system from the top of one of these new spray cans, and substitute an original style rotary-valve spray head from an old empty can? Would this work?

'was thinking the same but suggest don't bother. When I tried that it was a disaster! The tops are engineered differently and the stem of the old top doesn't fit the hole of the new can. Also, when I pulled the new top off I damaged it in the process so that when putting it back on the can just sprayed everywhere and wouldn't stop! Somehow I mangled the fitting in the new top. I did managed to fix it but, net, was just a waste of time messing with the tops.

Regards,
Grid2

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 9:58 am 

Greetings to Grid 2 and the Forum:

Thank You very much for the clarification! It isn't apparent (at least to my tired old eyes) from the photos that there were two coaxial pieces of clear flexible tubing in your adapter. Now that you have cleared this up, I think I am ready to replicate your invention, should the need arise. I am working my way through my last good can, so I will have to either hurry and order the syringe bottle or I will be stuck with the new style can.

I cannot find my communication with the De-Ox-It folks anymore... I must have deleted it from my inbox. Otherwise I would reproduce it here..... just for grins or groans.

Thanks again,

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 10:10 am 

Would heat shrink tubing work to connect the two hoses?

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 3:40 pm 

Quote:
Would heat shrink tubing work to connect the two hoses?
That might work but I'd be cautious about deforming the little red tube. I know they are heat sensitive because heat is what I used to make the little bend at the tip in one of my adapters (I use that one to reach hard to access pots and switches). To make the bend, I held the tube over a candle flame and bent the tip using a paperclip.

Cheers,
Grid2

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 5:55 am 

Quote:
Sorry I don't have the dimensions but will try to get those on next trip and report back.

Was by the hardware store this weekend and got the specs for what was used. These are K&S products. Two sizes were used, model 410 and model 412.

Smaller size clear tubing:

"Sta-Flex Fuel Line" model 410

Inner diameter = 0.065"
Outer diameter = 0.125"

Larger size clear tubing:

"Sta-Flex Fuel Line" model 412
Inner diameter = 0.130"
Outer diameter = 0.230"

Cheers,
Grid2

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 9:55 pm 

Hmmm, I just bought one of these at a hamfest, I was wondering why I see them sitting for sale all over the place. What I found I could do was remove the offending spray head from the can, it just pops off, and install a regular spray head from an old spray can, I saved them all from old spray cans, with it's thin tube. Dunno, maybe the spray head and tube from an old can of De-oxit will fit right on?

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 3:30 am 

Good to know.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 5:42 pm 

Jthorusen wrote:
There is no way I can modulate finger pressure (especially with arthritic fingers) to control the spray volume as well as it could be controlled with the old-style rotary valve.
Jim,

You fail to understand.

The new system was designed specifically so that you CANNOT control the volume. That results in higher wastage, greater usage volume, and more sales of the product.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 6:37 pm 

Exactly.
Remove the consumers ability to control product consumption.
Savvy technicians have known for years that a little goes a long way. That's no way to increase sales..

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 9:11 pm 

Did you also notice that the can is 1/2 the size of a year ago. Same price.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 10:19 pm 

Leigh wrote:
Jim,

You fail to understand.

The new system was designed specifically so that you CANNOT control the volume. That results in higher wastage, greater usage volume, and more sales of the product.

- Leigh

I think Leigh has pretty much nailed it here. Also, since everyone has become so "safety conscious" [translated as: avoiding liability lawsuits] perhaps those removable red plastic spray tubes have now been deemed a safety hazard. Maybe little children will try to eat them or poke each other's eyes out with them? :cry:

This issue is not just confined to DeOxit--same thing now exists with WD-40 and many other spray can dispensers. Not only is it a nuisance, but it has driven up cost of these products. From now on I will save all my old spray heads & tubes and transfer them to any new cans which I purchase.

This is a perfect example of a new, less efficient, more complex and expensive solution supplanting an old, highly reliable and inexpensive one. :(

PostPosted: Feb Thu 15, 2018 2:07 am 

You people can actually find your removable red plastic spray tubes when you need them? Wow! I usually have conduct a lengthy search to find just one then have to share it with all of my spray cans. The next time I need one, it is missing again.

With the new scheme you can't loose the tube.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 15, 2018 3:04 am 

Tom Schulz wrote:
With the new scheme you can't loose the tube.
True.

You're obliged to lose the entire container.

Just another way of forcing you to buy more of the product.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Feb Thu 15, 2018 3:23 am 

Poston Drake wrote:
perhaps those removable red plastic spray tubes have now been deemed a safety hazard.

I think you nailed it. Those red tubes are actually straws, so they are just protecting themselves since they are getting banned: :P

http://abc7.com/politics/california-law ... n/2965301/

I wonder if Caig is in California?