Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 25, 2018 10:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: NTE Electrolytics
PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 9:56 pm 

About 5 years ago, the last time I had time to really work on something, I bought NTE electrolytics, and the caps in the package had NTE labeling. Just recently, bought some of the same brand caps, NTE packaging, but Xicon brand on the caps inside. The comments I've seen about these online seems to be good. Problem, no problem?

Post subject: Re: NTE Electrolytics
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 12:50 am 

NTE is a major component distributor, they don't make much stuff themselves. Xicon is a large electronic component manufacturer with products carried under their own name by all the large distributors like Mouser, Digi Key, Allied, and many others. One may draw the conclusion that their products must have something going for them if they are so well known and widely distributed.

The problem is, every capacitor has more specifications than just uF's and volts. Things like ripple current, maximum frequency, operating hours and temperature rating, and ESR can have a huge impact in some circuits. The caps may work beautifully and last for years in one application but go out with a bang and a puff of smoke in a different one. So without knowing what the caps are rated for and how you intend to use them, it's difficult to say whether they'll work out well or not.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 1:42 am 

Xicon is a TTE-sponsored brand, same as Mouser - it's Mouser's "house" brand, and always a crap shoot for quality. I don't bother, and always go with either Panasonic or Nichicon caps from DigiKey or Mouser. 38 cents for some 450 volt caps in quantity. Local parts house has 10uF/450V NTEs for 2 bucks, and never the same brand/color in the NTE packaging...... With Panasonic caps, never a problem, and w-a-a-y less expensive. Cry once, I say.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:17 am 

nichion, illinois, and panasonics are all I ever use here.

I will not use the no-name chump brand cheap capacitors in my sets.

this is personal preference only ; not intended to start a pi$$ing contest.

steve

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:42 am 

I have replaced quite a few failed Xicon caps in vintage sets that were installed by other restorers. No idea though how they were stored, or how old they were before they had been installed. Those factors could make a big difference.

I absolutely won't use that brand.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 5:36 pm 

Thank you all for the replies, these are for standard vintage radio's & tv's, 47uf/450 volts and such. Name brand caps from now on it is!