Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 16, 2018 10:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Name for German HiFi Audio Input Output plugs
PostPosted: Feb Thu 22, 2018 5:09 pm 

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of a blonde German made Graetz that is badged as an RCA (67QR73FM-M). Like all online scores, this is a pig in a poke until I get it in my hands to see what I bought.

While I am waiting, I have been looking at photos of examples of this model online. I notice an input on the back for turntable, and an output for an external speaker.

These are both made to accept three pronged plugs. The input having a flat middle spade and the output having a round middle spade. Here is the only photo I could find of the input plug (the white plug in the photo). I haven't found a photo of the speaker output plug.

I would like to track down an output plug for an external speaker. Can anyone tell me how to describe the speaker output plug (in English or German) for internet searching? Does this style plug have a name? They look kind of like a weird DIN plug, but I haven't seen a match searching "DIN".

Thanks in advance for any help naming the speaker output plug.

-Hoodoo Rocket

Attachments:
File comment: Audio in from a German 1950s audio tape player.
german plug.jpg
german plug.jpg [ 53.48 KiB | Viewed 380 times ]

Post subject: Re: Name for German HiFi Audio Input Output plugs
PostPosted: Feb Fri 23, 2018 1:18 am 

Most German radios used a variant of these plugs before gravitating to the circular type; but I don't think that they were ever given an actual DIN spec. They aren't difficult to replicate using banana plugs. The center posts are used for both keying and (in the case of the speaker outlet) to actuate a switch behind the receptacle that cuts off the internal speaker when the external plug is inserted.

Post subject: Re: Name for German HiFi Audio Input Output plugs
PostPosted: Feb Fri 23, 2018 4:17 am 

Thanks for the info. I know it would be easy to rig up, but I'd love to find the plug. I'll just have to keep my eye out for one.