Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 19, 2018 4:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: List of tubes
PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 7:10 pm 

Hi, A few weeks ago a member sent me a website that had a list of tubes. What I liked about it is that it indicated that if a tube measures below a certain reading it is to be replaced. I have gone through all my postings to no avail. Your help as always is very much appreciated. Thanks Cec

Post subject: Re: List of tubes
PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 8:02 am 

The reference to follow is a RCA, GE, SYLVANIA tube manuals. They all list the gain for normal use.
The other way is a tube tester with its chart of settings. Then it will show when used with those settings the meter indication of a PASS-?-FAIL or a conductance value. Some charts have what the condition is as mutual conductance.

Addendum: Different tube testers will have different settings and therefore different meter readings (Although the may be close or not)

What tube tester do you Have?
I Have the Military TV-7/U and there are spreadsheets online. You may or may not find a spreadsheet for your unit. But most have PDF printouts availible.

Last edited by Radiosmoker on Mar Thu 01, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: List of tubes
PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 4:36 pm 

Assuming no shorts, best test is how does it perform in radio... Often tubes with much lower readings than suggested perform with no noticeable difference in performance...

I did field service on TV for almost 40 years and other than CRTs, never had a tester... If tube was suspect we tried a new one... Of course tube repair was history by early '90s, I retired in '05...