Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 27, 2017 6:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Way to stop Windows Updates, latest problems
PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 5:11 am 

I know this is about Win 10, but I lost about an hour just the other day when three (count 'em, three) updates to my Win 7 system rendered it useless for about an hour even though I have my machine set to let ME decide when to do the updates! FYI, my PC has a core i5 processor running at 3.10GHz with 8GB of memory. There is never any indication that an update is in progress - the PC just becomes unresponsive. The only way to determine if this is happening is to try to do a restart. Oh, and I was working on a contract job at the time. :evil:

John

PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 5:28 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
... that's all dinosaur talk in the 21st century....
Excess mouse usage adds up, so what is "dino" about that. A fully programable keyboard saves much time. What is "dino" about that? Reveal codes is very helpful to a skilled user. The wasted memory and disc space is not the biggest issue but even that adds up to significant money and energy usage with millions of users.

Maybe I don't understand what 'excessive mouse usage' means.
You describe it as something that over stresses something or builds up somewhere.
So.. I don't understand it.

WP was one of the 1st early word processors back in the day of Cp/m and such.

But I never really used it to any great extent because back in 1976 I went to work for Atex which was an editorial/newspaper-magazine typesetting editing system.
They developed the worlds first high quality and finest text editing word-processor type of text entry system ever. It was used by every major publication all over the world.
So Atex became the defacto world-standard news and magazine editing system.
It ran on PDP-11 systems.

After the IBM-pc arrived in the early 80s, two of Atex's engineers left the company to re-write the same type of text processor code and adapted it to tun on MS-Dos for a PC.
It was called XY-write. ( initially I don't think it used a mouse much if at all but later it did.. and I never knew why it was needed back then in those days.)

XY-write was like the best of the Atex text editor but on a personal computer.
Those 2 guys got totally rich doing it.

With XY-write they seemed to set the standard that MS-Word uses nowadays.

ref:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XyWrite

Anyway... I use MS-word and find it very easy and rarely ever need a mouse except to cut and paste or highlight text. Seems very convenient.

Last edited by Pbpix on Jun Sun 18, 2017 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 5:32 am 

Don Cavey wrote:
jim rozen wrote:
Umm

Control panel ->
System and security ->
Services ->
Windows updates: disabled

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

The fuss is that what you typed above is not how Win10 home appears. When you go to "System and Security" there is no "Services" so you can't go beyond that spot.
He left out a step. Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Windows Update (as a service entry).

Note, Administrative Tools is also in the 'all programs' list on the Start Screen (to the left) almost at the bottom (scroll down) because it's listed as "Windows Administrative Tools."

I can't confirm that's the case on Home because I have Pro but I believe that's right.

Boy, how soon we forgot about wannacry.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 5:41 am 

Flipperhome wrote:

I can't confirm that's the case on Home because I have Pro but I believe that's right.

You do seem to be able to get down into that location. They sure did a good job of burying it very deep...

PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 5:56 am 

Don Cavey wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:

You do seem to be able to get down into that location. They sure did a good job of burying it very deep...
That's just the nature of nested menus.

Btw, I prefer my Control Panel in "large icon" mode ("View by" in the upper right corner). That's splits out all destinations as a flat menu (rather than having to guess the 'category') and, in that case, Administrative Tools is the first one shown.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 6:36 am 

Yep, Home and Pro are different.

Peter, excess mouse usage is by the user. For example, just pessing F5 to open a file is far easier and faster than using the mouse.

The programmable keyboard has saved us vast amounts of time. For example, "12" x 12" vinyl floor tile" is a phrase we have used hundreds of thousands of time over the years in our reports. Long ago, we created a macro to type that phraise, simply activated by keying ALT and T together. We have some other much more sophisticated macro programs which allow us to do certain common tasks twice as fast as our competitors, so we can charge less, yet make more.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 7:08 am 

Just an FYI, you can build and assign macros to the keyboard in Word too. And CTRL-O opens files (if you don't like that it can be reassigned too).

PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 7:44 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Word requires much more mouse usage, whike WordPerfect provides the function keys, the ability to program any key or key combination to do things (e.g. run a macro), and the reveal codes. If you look at all of the codes in a Word document, it is often the case that the Word file is significantly larger than a WordPerfect file of the same document. Anyone who does more than very little word processing is cheating themselves if they do not have WordPerfect.

In my case, I've written long term papers, including 'legal documents' for school, a novel, and numerous short stories with Word, and never had any complaints. The only issue has been the learning curve when they updated the way it works with the 2007 version. I preferred the 2003 version. 2007 had the same functions, basically, but different look. For my uses, 2003 was adequate. But to each their own.

But in your situation, it's understandable why you may prefer WP. I can see how macros in your situation would be helpful. I myself dislike hotkeys. Hit one by accident it can be a time waster. But with a repeated phrase, or a lot of 'boilerplate' language, I can see how it may be useful.

Thank you for your kind response.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 12:13 pm 

Flinx wrote:
I was recently in a Windows 10 troubleshooting class, this question came up.

Windows 10 updates CANNOT be turned off in home edition

Yes they can.

Type in services.msc in the search bar on the taskbar.

In the window that pops up disable the Windows update service.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 12:29 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
Flinx wrote:

Yes they can.

It works with my version of Win 10 Home and is a very quick way to it. I didn't disable it though...

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 2:57 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:
It works with my version of Win 10 Home and is a very quick way to it. I didn't disable it though...

The only reason I disabled it is so I can see if there's any reported trouble with an update before I let mine update. That way if an update is buggy I won't get it and will wait until it is fixed.

The only other issue with having it disabled is one cannot install anything from the Windows store.

Surprised Microsoft hasn't figured a way to prevent disabling the update service.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 20, 2017 1:24 am 

I guess you could always use your anti-virus software to block windows update address. I am starting to think of Win 10 as a virus given the frequency and size of its updates and its general bloated nature.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jun Tue 20, 2017 1:47 am 

Tube Radio wrote:
Flinx wrote:

Yes they can.

Good tip to that feature! Thanks.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 20, 2017 5:24 pm 

You're welcome.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 34 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2