Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Mon 19, 2018 1:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Civil Defense stations to be reactivated?
PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 5:36 am 

With the current state of escalating (or that perceived to be) nuclear tensions, I am wondering if these frequencies will go back into use in the near future.

Post subject: Re: Civil Defense stations to be reactivated?
PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 6:06 am 

640 and 1240 on your standard AM radio? (I think that's how the CD message went)

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 6:12 am 

I think more people have immediate access to cell phones as opposed to AM radios. Much easier to push notifications and instructions over cellular networks and the messages can be specially tailored to a specific area. Like what happened in Hawaii.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 6:13 am 

Considering the weapons systems we could expect to visit us in shtf, ie ss18 satans, Kh-32 cruise missiles, etc, and as I assume they can fly to their target sans gps or radio transmissions to home in on, conelrad may be irrelevant. Also, ebs seems to have that role today but who knows.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 8:36 am 

db gain wrote:
Considering the weapons systems we could expect to visit us in shtf, ie ss18 satans, Kh-32 cruise missiles, etc, and as I assume they can fly to their target sans gps or radio transmissions to home in on, conelrad may be irrelevant. Also, ebs seems to have that role today but who knows.

Exactly.
Conelrad is as obsolete as the bombers it was designed to defend against. Cruise missiles would be oblivious to it.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 1:39 pm 

I think it would have been better than the system they had in Hawaii recently. Also it seems cell phone systems get overloaded very easily in emergencies, radio reaches everyone.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 2:13 pm 

Location: Halfway between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow KY
Quote:
radio reaches everyone.

not everyone has a radio, but more people carry a phone than a radio.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 2:22 pm 

Maybe it would be a good idea now for WLW to pitch the idea that their 500KW transmitter can reach the whole USA, get the funding to fix it if possible then put it back on the air in case of emergency only. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 3:17 pm 

If hostilities should break out on the Korean peninsula, I can't imagine a scenario where the AM band Civil Defense stations wouldn't be activated. In fact, given that state of emergency, I would be inclined to think that the cell phones would be potentially disabled well before any of the emergency radio broadcasts would. Everyone has an AM or AM/FM radio somewhere in the house or apartment, but not every one (including me) uses a cell phone.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 3:20 pm 

I have to agree , AM radio is largely irrelevant as a warning source.

Last edited by davep on Feb Wed 14, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 3:32 pm 

I don't own a smartphone either. But I do have one of these... The radio shown at the start with a built-in relay to activate something external.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqU4fB0O9Zo

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 4:08 pm 

What has happened here to diversity? We've become a nation of "one-trick-ponies"---
something new comes out and people believe it should obliterate all of which was before it. How stupid. I own a pneumatic hammer but there is no way I will ever throw away my manual hammers because there are too many instances where they'll serve me better than the pneumatic.

No, I disagree. Not everyone is walking around with cell phones. Maybe that's how it appears at your Wal-Mart but what about the millions of people who never have been persuaded to get cell-phones, i-phones and anything else that Best Buy sells? And in the event of such a catastrophe are you not aware that locally cell-systems are immediately shut down for "security" purposes?

I wish I had had the presence of mind to remain "off the grid" technologically as many have done.
I think we're shooting ourselves in the foot by depending on a single, very frail technology.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 4:24 pm 

During the fires last summer in NorCal, the cell phones went down right away. Radio was the only way that news was getting out. And it wasn't just the areas right around the fire, the effects spread pretty wide. The world is getting complacent with cell phones and seem to think they will always work. But any time the fecal material hits the rotating device they fail and once again radio is there.

I'm not saying that cell phones aren't a fantastic tool. They do things that radio can't. But when all else fails, radio works.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 5:11 pm 

While we're at it might as well start replaying "duck and cover", digging bomb shelters and taking a trip to the grocery store in the ole' country squire to stock up on Spam and toilet paper...

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 5:40 pm 

Car radios are numerous, and many people listen to AM radio, so it is viable as one warning source.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 7:36 pm 

On 9/11/01, cell phones in NY and NJ became unusable very soon after the first plane hit. It was only by radio that I got the information about where they were ferrying people to in Weehawken and reconnected with my wife.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 7:50 pm 

I think the OP's point is getting blurred.

The original concept of Conelrad, broadcasting on 640 and 1240 kilocycles alternately from different cities, was to confuse enemy bomber navigators. If you'll recall, the attack on Pearl Harbor was made easier for them by simply homing in on a Hawaiin AM radio station. The Conelrad scheme would appear to have no effect on present day unmanned guided missiles.

Now AFA news goes, yes, AM radio would be king, along of course with TV newscasts.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 15, 2018 1:58 am 

You would have to broadcast warnings and information on all radio stations, AM and FM, as well as on TV. There are very few if any people who would think to switch over to AM radio and tune in either 640 or 1240. A lot of younger people do not listen to radio at all and some don't have one. Those that listen to radio will be listening to FM.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 15, 2018 2:55 am 

have i read somewhere that it is going to be mandatory that cell phones will have an FM radio in them ?

i could easily see if some kind of national emergency were to take place, this feature in a cell phone would be very handy. if all cell communications go down, one has a FM radio right in their hand.

if one needs to have a radio in an emergency situation, there it is, right in the cell phone. there is no need to scramble in a panic down to the dollar general for some POS GPX radio that gets the three local FM blowtorches all over the band--distorted.

steve

PostPosted: Feb Thu 15, 2018 3:42 am 

The majority of cell phones ALREADY have an FM receiver chip. The carriers won't enable them because it would cause them to loose revenue from streaming. The micro USB cable or corded earphone wire acts as the antenna. It is my opinion that it should be a matter of national security to have the existing hardware enabled in ALL phones. FM stations can cover a large area when the cell networks collapse.

Robert

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 38 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next