Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sat 18, 2018 1:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Make ~sure~ your laptop actually goes to standby....
PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 12:46 am 

So, 5:30 I put my work laptop on standby as usual before unplugging it from the crappy dock box and put it in my bag and headed home. At the time, I noticed the power button on the box was not blinking as usual but just shrugged. My monitors had gone dark, etc.

I stopped for gas on the way home, then took a 30 min walk of the neighborhood immediately when I got home. I was about to get some left overs from the fridge and noticed a faint hum or rushing noise (my house is dead quiet normally). A quick investigation found the noise coming from my laptop bag and when I pulled it out, the fans were going full tilt and the thing was super hot, barely could hang onto it. I opened it up and screen did not come on but power button was lit. So, I held it down to force the thing OFF.

I waited a while and did a full reboot. So far so good.

This is a corporate supplied HP Z-Book I've had about 3 mo. There is no removable battery so if it had been really stuck, not sure what my next move would have been. The prior HP laptop used to occasionally refuse to wake from standby and I would remove the battery and put it back in to clear its hangup with a full reboot. This one not possible w/o taking the back off and unplugging the wires off the motherboard (I looked it up).

So, makes me wonder if I had not heard the fan noise in the bag of my dead quiet house (good thing the fridge was not running at that time!). I suppose it would have drained the battery totally dead at some point, not sure about permanent damage?

Last edited by thyratron26 on Apr Tue 17, 2018 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Make ~sure~ your laptop actually goes to standby....
PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 1:04 am 

same here
I have 2 links on desktop, lock and shutdown, 1 click, I like the lock command, quick and easy, fingerprint to sign back in.

lock desktop - C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
Shutdown - %windir%\system32\SHUTDOWN.exe -s -t 01
or- %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0
or- Shutdown -s -t 00

Also, check power settings to what pressing buttons does, you can change them

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 1:17 am 

Maybe I should shutdown instead of standby/sleep with this unit. The habit from the last 3 laptops was to put them to sleep instead of shutdown at night since a bootup would take about 10-15 min before anything would work as all the corporate antivirus, antimalware, etc stuff would fight it out and thrash the hard drive making any attempt to do anything futile.

This new one has a SSD in it and does boot to a usable state a lot faster.

They don't enable fingerprint readers at my job and also have a full drive encryption so 2 levels of passwords to get to the desktop.

These Z books have poor thermal design IMO. The fans suck in from the bottom but if the machine is setting on a table/desk surface, there is a full perimeter rubber rib that seals off all air intake!! The fan noise has caused me to normally set mine upside down at my desk so no air blockage. I use 2 external monitors and keyboard, etc with the docking box (thunderbolt cable connected) and only use the actual laptop screen when elsewhere like the lab or at home.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 1:40 am 

My Dell laptop has never gone to standby when closing the lid, even if I tell it that I want it to power off when the lid gets closed. If I open the lid after a while there a note that says something like "A faulty keyboard driver has prevented this machine from carrying out the requested action" but no matter how many driver updates I do, the result is always the same. After all the years I've had it, I've learnt to live with it. Must be female - oops :)

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 10:10 am 

Greetings to thyratron26 and the Forum:

My laptop is older and has a removable battery.... which is a good thing since I don't use it all that much and if I put it away with the battery in it, it will totally drain it within a couple of days, even when off. It argues and complains a bit when I first turn it on, but that's better than buying a new battery every time I want to use it.

If I were thyratron26, I would open the thing up, be sure there are only two leads to the battery (i.e. not tapped), then break one of them and add a toggle switch hanging out of the case on a couple of leads.

My desktop machine (on which I write this) is plugged into an outlet strip with a good old-fashioned rocker switch. I hate uppity machines... when I say off, I mean off.

Regards,

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 3:06 pm 

Love it, adding a toggle switch to a corp laptop, do that and they will make you buy it.
but seriously, hacking up your work laptop is a terrible idea.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 18, 2018 3:20 pm 

Right, when I shut down, I have learned to leave my laptop open until it indicates that it is truly Off. So will pack it out to the car open if that is how it wants to be.
Sometimes there is a program open that prevents a shutdown, or sometimes there is an update that isn't finished.
Too bad about your lack of battery access. The way of the future, I suppose. :x

PostPosted: Apr Wed 18, 2018 4:07 pm 

that's the beauty of a shut off link, with the right options, it shuts down now and quickly, no warnings.
I use the 'lock desktop' on all my PCs, at home, I lock it when in bed or at work, its on 24/7
This also prevents attacks on your files if your PC is logged out, or locked.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 18, 2018 6:35 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
that's the beauty of a shut off link, with the right options, it shuts down now and quickly, no warnings.
I use the 'lock desktop' on all my PCs, at home, I lock it when in bed or at work, its on 24/7
This also prevents attacks on your files if your PC is logged out, or locked.

Yes the shutoff is the better choice. Windows 10 on the wife PC was restarting every program she had not shut down if she rebooted via the windows menu. I eventually shut off the "restart programs" and found you can also hit alt f4 and get the real shutdown/reboot that will close all programs and not hang on " you sure"

PostPosted: Apr Wed 18, 2018 8:11 pm 

As a retired tech I officially hate laptops. After building them for decades they still can't get them to work right. I always tell my customers to just power the darn thing down and make sure it's off before you close the screen. By the way, poor cooling design is nothing new for HP laptops. I once had to send back 250 week old HP laptops due to overheating when placed flat on a desk. Some actually melted the case directly above and below the proc. Here we are all these years later and they still haven't figured it out. :roll:

Larry

PostPosted: Apr Wed 18, 2018 10:43 pm 

rocketeer wrote:
As a retired tech I officially hate laptops. After building them for decades they still can't get them to work right. I always tell my customers to just power the darn thing down and make sure it's off before you close the screen. By the way, poor cooling design is nothing new for HP laptops. I once had to send back 250 week old HP laptops due to overheating when placed flat on a desk. Some actually melted the case directly above and below the proc. Here we are all these years later and they still haven't figured it out. :roll:

Larry

I agree I hate them.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2018 11:54 am 

Greetings to Joe and the Forum:

Joe writes:

Quote:
but seriously, hacking up your work laptop is a terrible idea.

.... as opposed to having it burn up inside your laptop bag and maybe set your house or your car on fire?

Doesn't sound like such a terrible idea to me.

Regards,

PostPosted: Apr Thu 19, 2018 6:12 pm 

Quick question, are you using a wireless mouse? I've forgotten to shut off the wireless mouse and have had it wake up the computer inside the bag after putting the laptop to Sleep with the same hot-bag results.

Never happens if I shut off the wireless mouse just after clicking Sleep. Just a thought.