Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 19, 2018 7:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: "Cute" words in ARF posts
PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 11:29 am 

As in "a phool and his money", parting which of course is the whole idea. There are also autophools, roads and repair shops cluttered with their status badges. McMansion phools, phashion phools, phood phools, wrinklecream phools....

Phaux elegance deserves to be made fun of. Albeit with a tinge of jealousy while we plebians constrain our purchases to things representing more tangible value. You don't think they snicker at us, having to put up with that dreadful oxygen in our wires because we'd rather eat than pay to have it removed? Of course they do. That's at least half the point of being a phool. And why calling them that is perfectly phair.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 1:33 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Alan Voorhees wrote:
Often times people hear something they think is extremely clever, although it seldom is, and they repeat it from then on in an attempt to appear clever to others with their "witty" posts. Some of these cross the line of being funny on a sophomoric level to being simply stupid and cruel. For years I have seethed at the name calling of people that appreciate the subtle differences between a state-of-the-art sound system and a 1980s Sansui home rack system. It seems popular to try to appear so so clever by calling them phools. This whole conversation has lead me to make the decision to finally put a stop too than and require the correct term, audiophile be used in its place.

Yup, the term "phool" takes the discussion and changes it from a discussion about the technology to an ad hominem attack, and if all we can do is throw virtual sticks and stones at the person instead of debating the subject we should just quit ... we've already lost.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 1:42 pm 

Quote:
Yup, the term "phool" takes the discussion and changes it from a discussion about the technology to an ad hominem attack, and if all we can do is throw virtual sticks and stones at the person instead of debating the subject we should just quit ... we've already lost.

I agree up to a point, and name calling has been until recently frowned upon by most of the country but ... ... cryogenically treated outlets? $600 6L6 tubes? Copper wire that "sounds" better? c'mon :) In this case the term "phool" is more a descriptor of a certain group that has more money than common sense. IMHO of course.

Back in the day people selling such things were called 'snake oil salesmen' (salespersons today) ... a fool and his money are soon parted.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 2:32 pm 

There is a fine line between a clinical definition of who you are dealing with, and using a pejorative label.
for any forum like this to work efficiently, there has to be some kind of shared view of the problem at hand. This often involves an understanding of the person bringing up the issue. We've had a few cases in the last year, where the majority has concluded that the individual was not likely to learn the basic things required to succeed. This typically results in fewer responses to the person's posts, but we're pretty good about not insulting them in the process.

The term in question gets used often...for a variety of reasons...and it actually has a pretty precise definition. This said, I'm happy to stop using it. I can easily express my opinion of cryogenic connectors and paper in oil caps without using any labels.

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 3:02 pm 

Quote:
The term in question gets used often...for a variety of reasons...and it actually has a pretty precise definition. This said, I'm happy to stop using it. I can easily express my opinion of cryogenic connectors and paper in oil caps without using any labels.

+1 and I as well will strive to banish the offending term from my online vocabulary. Giving the matter some careful scrutiny, I personally believe it is a term that I can easily live without. I'm certainly willing to make the effort to NOT give our site owner and administrator any further issues to have to deal with on a daily basis. No phooling :) ..... sorry, someone had to :)

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 3:09 pm 

Rather than have prizes for substantive contributions, let's have a contest to see who is the biggest smart-aleck....

I'll work on this as soon as I get back from a trip to the farmacy.........;)

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 3:17 pm 

Were you two ever corrigible? :D

"The question is not what you look at, but what you see." Thoreau

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 3:39 pm 

I have been inscrutiable, but never (in)corrigable. I am also, whenever possible, willfully obtuse 8)

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 4:18 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Barry H Bennett wrote:
Quote:

I agree up to a point, and name calling has been until recently frowned upon by most of the country but ... ... cryogenically treated outlets? $600 6L6 tubes? Copper wire that "sounds" better? c'mon :) In this case the term "phool" is more a descriptor of a certain group that has more money than common sense. IMHO of course.

Back in the day people selling such things were called 'snake oil salesmen' (salespersons today) ... a fool and his money are soon parted.

Yes, I understand that things that seem obvious to some of us are not so obvious to others, but mud slinging and name calling does neither help them nor generally raise the tone of debate or conversation, so .... maybe we should try to be the better person and help to educate instead? If they don't want help, name calling won't be of any benefit anyway.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 4:22 pm 

WoodchuckTN wrote:
Were you two ever corrigible? :D

more like corrugated......

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 4:52 pm 

Quote:
I am also, whenever possible, willfully obtuse 8)

EDIT: Make that "willphully obtuse" :shock:

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 5:19 pm 

As far as I'm concerned, ARF is not a black tie affair at the office---there's no need to be 100% formal.

I do however dislike vagueness. I'm ok with whatever abbreviations or slang people like to use, as long as I know what they're talking about.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 5:58 pm 

pixellany wrote:
Rather than have prizes for substantive contributions, let's have a contest to see who is the biggest smart-aleck....

Catch me if you can... :wink:

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 6:05 pm 

tubes4life wrote:
I do however dislike vagueness. I'm ok with whatever abbreviations or slang people like to use, as long as I know what they're talking about.

Often, I am happy just knowing that THEY know what they are talking about.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 6:13 pm 

pixellany wrote:
tubes4life wrote:

Often, I am happy just knowing that THEY know what they are talking about.

But do they? :wink:

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 8:56 pm 

fifties wrote:
pixellany wrote:

Catch me if you can... :wink:

Get in line :)

PostPosted: Oct Fri 12, 2018 9:26 pm 

Game over. :wink:

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 77 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4