Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 16, 2018 3:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Disparaging Remarks for People Here from Facebook Group
PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 11:48 pm 

Ok , where is this facebook thing and how do we access it, is there a link or a name of the group to search for? You can tell I don't use facebook too much.

Dave

PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 11:50 pm 

Chas wrote:
I am still, considering a Facebook account.
Attic is really tough, re-roofed in 2013, the nails protrude about an inch :shock:
Protruding nails will damage your brain much less than Facebook.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Dec Fri 07, 2018 12:19 am 

Leigh wrote:
Chas wrote:
I am still, considering a Facebook account.
Attic is really tough, re-roofed in 2013, the nails protrude about an inch :shock:
Protruding nails will damage your brain much less than Facebook.
Leigh
:lol: :lol:

ouch!
My attic has become a hard hat area looking up :roll: ^

PostPosted: Dec Fri 07, 2018 12:47 am 

Chas wrote:
I am still, considering a Facebook account. It would give me access to certain other accounts concerning radio. But, the more I hear, the less likely I will subscribe. I bang my head enough rummaging in my attic let alone doing so online... Attic is really tough, re-roofed in 2013, the nails protrude about an inch :shock:

Chas

I've been keeping up on it also, especially damning is the emails that were exposed. The sad thing about today is, almost without exception, when a company gets large enough it becomes corrupt. :(

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

PostPosted: Dec Fri 07, 2018 12:56 am 

The ARF is a great resource, I come here often looking for answers. Even if the answers are over my head or even if I do not agree it is a still my go to source. Facebook is not a bad place either, the Antique Radio page has a lot of helpful folks, what it lacks is being able to search for historical topics.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 07, 2018 1:25 am 

Quote:
Being pretty new to this hobby, I sometimes get answers that are not geared to someone who is just starting out. Not bad answers, just ones that need to be simplified for a trainee. We newbies sometime require more of an explanation or more details than someone who has been doing this for decades needs.

That's one of the problems of the Internet: we can't see you or the expressions on your face. We don't know you're new. So if something goes over your head just ask for an explanation. If that isn't good enough, ask for more explanation. The folks here will usually help. The posters who "'cause" people to get testy are those who don't know anything and when we suggest that they read up on it, and even give them a link, they won't do it. But if you're actually willing to learn, we're here for you.

Explanations don't have to come from the person who posted the original, unundrstood response. For example, I tend to give a "short form" answer to a question. Then Chris108 follows up in more detail. Whatever, it works.

And welcome to Noah and all the other young people here, even if you have been welcomed before.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 07, 2018 1:49 am 

With regard to the original post..... never has “ you can’t please everyone “ held more truth than on Facebook, or the internet in general. AOL chat rooms come to mind as the epitome of bad behavior online. I do my best to ignore the clutter and hope at least some may benefit from what I’ve got to say. I suppose you gotta accept that for each of those there may be someone who doesn’t. At least online one can easily ignore them. :-D

PostPosted: Dec Fri 07, 2018 2:04 am 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
I do my best to ignore the clutter and hope at least some may benefit from what I’ve got to say. I suppose you gotta accept that for each of those there may be someone who doesn’t. At least online one can easily ignore them. :-D
Truer words were never spoken.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Dec Fri 07, 2018 2:31 am 

I don't care what anybody thinks. Facebook will never come close to the knowledge base that is here.
I have always said that when someone has something bad to say about you, it is because they are jealous.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 07, 2018 2:39 am 

When someone poses a question on a forum, responders have to make an educated guess as to the background and abilities of the user. The odds of the answer being too simple or too complex are far better than it being just right. The original poster can either ask for clarification if too complex, provide a better description of his/her knowledge/experience level if the answer is too elementary, or go away mad and complain.

It is also important to remember in our ever more self-centered society that the answers provided will be used by many more than just the original poster so a little bit deeper explanation is, overall, a good thing.

One of the odd behaviors I noticed during numerous years as a university prof was one student would finally muster the courage to ask a question and then a large number of the other students would carefully write down the answer with relieved expressions. Many questions posed on forums like these provide answers to many people who would not have asked the question.

I am certain that in many cases when I address a question in the vintage communications section I am biased towards the simpler/more complete explanation side. When someone delves into an area that is likely to involve high voltage/high current supplies I will often respond via PM to ascertain their knowledge level and I will often respond only directly to that person via PM to avoid putting out partial information that could lead someone else into danger. It is far different answering a technical question about a high power transmitter or external amplifier when that person understands and has experience with proper safety procedures versus someone who just bought a 1950s era high power AM rig and has never dealt with anything powered by more than 12V DC in the past.

I use Facebook to share photos with our high school football and soccer players on the pages for their sports but other than that not so much. I ended up getting page administrator permission for one site only in order to post photos and the amount of garbage FB constantly sends out to administrators about increasing their page exposure along with notifications every time a fly sneezes while flying by the page is a nuisance. I had pretty much tamed all of the notifications from sites where I am only a member but now I need to spend some time with FB getting rid of these other nag reminders.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Dec Fri 07, 2018 3:15 am 

I have never been a member of FB and I never have any plans to join. From just around town over the years I hear of all the fights that can happen and even threats and body harm. Those few that I actually heard talking it seems were just waiting for the next good fight on FB.
Sounds like a nut house for some people with nothing to do but continue the fight. And a few younger good people I know closed their FB account.
It looks like 99 percent of any questions can be answered correctly here (ARF) at some point in time or something very close that (may) will work,, and this place is watched for potential problems. I can also understand that not everyone would have these problems at FB.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 07, 2018 3:21 am 

It's a shame that often unfounded anti-FB claims scare people away from the valuable aspects of the site.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 07, 2018 3:47 am 

They are not unfounded, the real world does exist and continue. The truth has been very evident for a long time.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 07, 2018 4:01 am 

I have heard that a NY state Senator is proposing a bill that would require residents to divulge their Facebook account passwords if they want to buy guns, and that if ANY remarks are discovered that the state police don't like, they will NOT be allowed to purchase guns. This was on a recent Tucker Carlson show.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 07, 2018 4:05 am 

Qui cum canibus concumbunt cum pulicibus surgent!

:) Greg.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 35 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2