Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 18, 2018 5:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need recommendation for GE Superadio replacement
PostPosted: Jul Sat 28, 2018 2:33 pm 

I need to replace a ge superadio 2 - I loved it due to it being able to pull stations in clearly out here in the country where I live. I would like to keep the price under $60, but might be willing to go to $100 if necessary. I would like to buy ge superadio but since they are all now vintage and the nicer ones seem to be selling for a fairly steep price I think I would rather get something new with a warranty. Suggestions are appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Need recommendation for GE Superadio replacement
PostPosted: Jul Sat 28, 2018 3:02 pm 

Here is a good site to start your "window shopping". Look in the "Portable Shortwave" and "AM-FM and Specialty Radios" categories for a starter. https://www.universal-radio.com

PostPosted: Jul Sat 28, 2018 3:52 pm 

I have a venerable CCrane SW that does well with the Twin-Stick Justice antenna. Nice sound, built-in charger for AA or D cells. It does FM stereo with headphones. Superadios are still common. Would you consider a used radio?
Eton and Tecsun makes a variety of portables. Anon-co carries a nice selection of new radios:
https://www.anon-co.com/category/radio-collection

PostPosted: Jul Sat 28, 2018 3:58 pm 

Not many models beat the GE Super Radio, there is a Panasonic rated well for long distance, but I can't remembers the model number.
I'd go for another GE Super Radio.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 28, 2018 8:05 pm 

You could try Amazon.com (search for GE Super Radio) quite a few listed there and reasonable prices too.

Give it look

John

PostPosted: Jul Sat 28, 2018 8:14 pm 

I have an older version of the CCrane Twin Ferrite radio. The present version:

https://www.ccrane.com/item/rad_ccradio ... nna_inside

Has some supplementary controls. A wide/narrow bandwidth switch as well as fine tuning. The radio is smaller than a GE. The bandspread backlight has a switch to turn it off.

Crane sells returned radios, a significant amount of those are not warrantee failures, but returned gifts, etc. Sold at a discount. I have never had an issue purchasing their open box specials. You can watch their site for these special deals.

John S.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 28, 2018 8:54 pm 

GE Superadio performance and other brands

http://earmark.net/gesr/

PostPosted: Jul Sat 28, 2018 10:49 pm 

Bolivia-Mike wrote:
I need to replace a ge superadio 2 - I loved it due to it being able to pull stations in clearly out here in the country where I live. .........

Is it gone or just not working? Unless it's been reduced to a puddle of plastic and silicon you can find guys to help you fix it here.

RRM

PostPosted: Jul Sat 28, 2018 11:17 pm 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
Bolivia-Mike wrote:
I need to replace a ge superadio 2 - I loved it due to it being able to pull stations in clearly out here in the country where I live. .........

Is it gone or just not working? Unless it's been reduced to a puddle of plastic and silicon you can find guys to help you fix it here.

RRM

Exactly.

I too have a C Crane "FM Stereo/AM Dual Conversion PLL Synthesized World Band Receiver". Lotsa cutsy features including digital readout, preset station memories, dual AA or D battery supplies & a 9 volt DC input port, gain control, switchable wide/narrow IF bandwidth control, etc. Still ain't as sensitive as a GE SR2.

Don't get an SR3, not as good, build quality or O/W, and the SR1 I believe only has one speaker, so not as good sound quality. I've owned an SR1 and SR3, and the SR2 is the best, which is why they command more $.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 28, 2018 11:29 pm 

There is a Radio Shack Realistic Long Range TRF AM portable that works well to pick up AM stations. There were a couple of different models as I recall. I got one for $4 at a yard sale.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 28, 2018 11:42 pm 

The old Rat Shack lunchbox size sets were a good deal. Many used the same dial layout, and presumably the same basic circuit. I have the "Realistic Portavision" (AM/FM TV 2-13), and it's a sensitive little receiver. Their "Patrolman" I've noticed used the same dial layout, so could have been the same board, just with different frequencies.

Attachments:
C Crane and Realistic.jpg
C Crane and Realistic.jpg [ 94.92 KiB | Viewed 956 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Sun 29, 2018 12:03 pm 

Beaconhunter wrote:
I have an older version of the CCrane Twin Ferrite radio. The present version:

https://www.ccrane.com/item/rad_ccradio ... nna_inside

Has some supplementary controls. A wide/narrow bandwidth switch as well as fine tuning. The radio is smaller than a GE. The bandspread backlight has a switch to turn it off.

Crane sells returned radios, a significant amount of those are not warrantee failures, but returned gifts, etc. Sold at a discount. I have never had an issue purchasing their open box specials. You can watch their site for these special deals.

John S.

Yep, the one I purchased was pre-owned and I saved some money. CCrane calls them 'orphans'.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 29, 2018 1:32 pm 

I absolutely guarantee that a Panasonic RF-2200 will vastly outperform a GE Superadio. You'll pick up stations you never knew existed or listened to before. Because the RF-2200 has such an excellent track record and reputation among serious AM DXrs, good examples tend to sell for around the $150 - $250 range and beyond. The Panasonic RF-2200 was made around 1978, was made in Japan (not China), and has great old school electronics and circuitry including a double superheterodyne front end and 5 tuned IF stages in it. The swivel ferrite core loop antenna can pick up stations at any direction or null out interference when rotated to a certain angle.

Ebay sold examples. https://picclick.com/Consumer-Electroni ... e%22%7D%7D

Discussion https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4922

Restoration Review https://radiojayallen.com/panasonic-rf-2200-2/

PostPosted: Jul Sun 29, 2018 1:58 pm 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
Bolivia-Mike wrote:

RRM

I have been borrowing my folks GE radiofor the last few weeks for use in my shop - its tough to pick up anything other than a handful of stations in this area on any of the other radios I have. I feel bad because now they basically have nothing to listen to. I was hoping to be able to buy them something more modern to replace it with - with some bells and whistles like a digital dial.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and web sites to visit. It seems the SR 2 s are really about the best I can hope for in the price range I want to spend. But I really like that RF 2200 !

PostPosted: Jul Sun 29, 2018 2:05 pm 

Rocco53 wrote:
GE Superadio performance and other brands

http://earmark.net/gesr/

I really learned a lot from this web site !

PostPosted: Jul Sun 29, 2018 6:33 pm 

CurtisL wrote:
There is a Radio Shack Realistic Long Range TRF AM portable that works well to pick up AM stations. There were a couple of different models as I recall. I got one for $4 at a yard sale.

I have one. It's a great performer. Nothing wrong with those old radios when compared to "new" ones.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 29, 2018 7:32 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
I absolutely guarantee that a Panasonic RF-2200 will vastly outperform a GE Superadio.

It should, given the original price difference. How do you think it stacks up against the Sony ICF-2010?

PostPosted: Jul Mon 30, 2018 4:59 am 

fifties wrote:
Indiana Radios wrote:
I absolutely guarantee that a Panasonic RF-2200 will vastly outperform a GE Superadio.

It should, given the original price difference. How do you think it stacks up against the Sony ICF-2010?

Don't know. Never listened to a Sony ICF-2010 but I would think, despite all of the digital wizardry and computerized push buttons, the RF-2200 would still outperform the Sony ICF-2010. At least in true AM DXing sense. The way I see it, if the Sony ICF-2010 was a better performer then the Panasonic RF-2200 then I'd think it should be commanding more money then the Panasonic RF-2200 on Ebay. At least that's the way I see it in my simplistic way of thinking.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 30, 2018 6:27 am 

If it doesn't command more, it's at least on par. A good one will set you back about 2-3 C-notes. My ICF-2010 is the only radio I have that has received two Canadian stations, along with my farthest DX (WHAS/840/ Louisville, KY).

PostPosted: Jul Mon 30, 2018 12:53 pm 

I still haven't been able to figure out all of the bells and whistles on my ICF-2010. Maybe if I actually used all of the features present on those rows and rows of dual-function buttons I'd get more familiar with them.

In my opinion, the 2010 is a fine piece of engineering and performs very well but is cumbersome to use. (I'm not a fan of slide-pot volume controls.) The direct-entry keyboard is a great advantage but, as a useful radio for good sound as well as great performance on a budget, a Superadio is the one to get. But an RF-2200 is a better than a Superadio for a serious AM DXer and mine generally out-performs my Sony.

Dave

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next